Blade Server

I'm a Vim guy myself, but holy hell if somebody changed something like that

on my setup, I might actually start smashing stuff. :D

well normal notepad you know when you don have anything else but just need to open something and theyve change the font to do something. Use Word Pad if you really need fonts and stuffs cause when I need to modify that ini dammit.

oh i should say I dont use it for much coding. Mostly txt, ini, bat files and stuff.

I was playing around with Debian in a vm and found vim to be annoying (trying to write and add lines etc, probably just need to learn more) :( Nano FTW! :P

Yes, Vim definitely has a learning curve to it and can be a bit overwhelming

if you're new to it. Once you get over that initial hurdle though, it's really

awesome. But it's not for everyone, I have no issue with that. ;)

well normal notepad you know when you don have anything else but just need to open something and theyve change the font to do something. Use Word Pad if you really need fonts and stuffs cause when I need to modify that ini dammit.

oh i should say I dont use it for much coding. Mostly txt, ini, bat files and stuff.

Yes, I got what he meant, I just mentioned that I'm a Vim guy because it

would be a bit difficult for somebody to change my fonts (basically they

would need to change my terminal font). But thanks. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

BladeServerBanner.png

Last night I stayed up till two in the morning installing debian and getting it up and running.

So far, I've installed debian, ssh, samba, apache, php, mysql, lftp, and plex (if you have any questions about installing any of these, I'll be happy to answer). I've also installed Webmin, which is fantastic for getting an overview of my server.

I had issue with samba last night with it not allowing me to save files to my share, but it seems to have resolved itself (probably due to restarting the server).

I'm trying to figure out how to get WoL working, enabled in bios, edited the proper config files, but it just doesn't seem to want to wake up.

I'm also debating whether or not to run a little DNS server on it, so to easily be able to resolve local domain names.

List of things that are done:

• Installing Debian
  • Web software
  • Samba
  • LFTP
  • Plex
Things to do:
  • ZFS (probably going to wait for the hard drives before I do this)
  • DNS Server
  • Mail server
  • Bit Torrent Sync
  • A few other various softwares
Remember to subscribe for more updates and photos (soon to come)!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Oohhhhh.... Must follow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

BladeServerBanner.png

Sadly, this isn't a post about progress, but of regress.

Throughout the day today, I have been having network problems. Whether it's my 2MB/s Samba transfer speed or my 2MB/s http download speed.

Now, I'm not quite sure what's up with this. I am connected to the server over WiFi, but I'm not sure if that's the issue (I get 8MB/s down over the internet via wifi). One of the other things I had happen was my router randomly cut out (ASUS N66u).

From this, I'm going to guess that it's something to do with the routers routing ability, and me pushing it (if you count 50GB in 12 hours, on top of regular 10GB of traffic pushing it), causing it to overheat and then cutout. I'm not exactly sure if this is it, but I am now considering setting up a router and DHCP server on this computer and using the N66u as an AP. My only qualm with this is that it would stop solely server, and start doing routing, so I'm probably going to look into a different solution, as this is less than ideal.

On top of the network problems, Plex doesn't seem to want to recognize any of my TV Shows, but it's fine with my music and movies. Contrary to the network issues, Plex streaming seems to work fine.

And, furthermore, on top of that all, my laptop doesn't seem to play well with others and won't acknowledge my samba share.

I have alot of work ahead of me.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Best of luck to you, I really like this sort of DIY server setup  :) ... About the network problems, a more ideal solutions would maybe be something like the Linksys WRT1900 AC (with modded firmware)? It should be more powerfull, and relativly procumer grade.

EDIT: However the idea of getting something like DD-WRT on to the WRT1900 AC have some... challenges, just a heads up.  

FRACTAL DESIGN R4 / AMD FX 8350 / NVIDIA GTX 770 / ASUS SABERTOOTH FX990 R2

MacBook Pro (2011) w. Samsung 840 PRO & 16 GB Corsair Ram

-Stuff-

Unfortunately that's the downside of a custom server - not everything goes the way you expect it to.

Put on your debugging hat, you'll get 'er done.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

BladeServerBanner.png
I've done abit of trouble shooting today, mainly around my network/samba issues, and I've gotten some peculiar results.

I tested my network running iperf, between a Crunchbang VM on my desktop and my server, and got a very weird discrepancy in speed.

Here is testing with TCP:
iperf-tcp.png

And here is with UDP:
iperf-udp.png

Quite the big discrepancy.
The other thing that was weird, is that after running the UDP iperf test, my router disrupted my connection (still connected to the network, but it wouldn't route).

Now, I tried running it over ethernet (plugged my laptop into the router) and I got this:

iperf-tcp-wired.png

While doing the tests, not matter what (wired or wifi), the CPU utilization never went above 6%, so it's not a bottleneck there. RAM usage is also in the low 500MBs.

So the speed issue seems to be occurring somewhere in the wifi-router-ethernet vicinity, sadly, I don't have a secondary router that I can use to test my theory, so I may just have to give it a shot and get new hardware.

More updates to come :)

15" MBP TB

This is less of an official post, but I'm wondering if you guys are interested in the software setup of my server, or if you guys are more interested in the hardware setup?

I may be reinstalling everything, so if you guys are interested I'll walk you through exactly what I'm setting up.

15" MBP TB

This is less of an official post, but I'm wondering if you guys are interested in the software setup of my server, or if you guys are more interested in the hardware setup?

I may be reinstalling everything, so if you guys are interested I'll walk you through exactly what I'm setting up.

I'd be interested in the software side of things here myself. I think it would be helpful for the members who may be following this and might want to do something similar in the future.

I feel like I'm included in the software part no matter what :D

(which is a good thing)

Yes you are :P

15" MBP TB

BladeServerBanner.png

Hardware update!

I got something in the mail today.

I wonder what it is?

box.jpg

Hmm

in-box.jpg

An SSD!

ssd-box-front.jpg

ssd-front.jpg

So, I'm probably going to be spending the rest of my night tonight reinstalling my OS, I'm going to document the software that I'm installing, along with any issues I run into and how I solve them.

I also have yet to release photos of the build. Sadly, I already had this computer prebuilt, so I didn't have pictures of it being built, but I took this one today.

cpu-long-exposure.jpg

15" MBP TB

-snip-

what a lovelly SSD you've got there :P

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

BladeServerBanner.pngI had originally wrote a very nice long post about the software I had installed, and how to follow suit, but the forum decided to delete it, without auto saving it :(

I'm going to try to remember what I wrote and get back as much content from the post, but it's probably going to take me a few days to sort it all out.

15" MBP TB

BladeServerBanner.pngI had originally wrote a very nice long post about the software I had installed, and how to follow suit, but the forum decided to delete it, without auto saving it :(

I'm going to try to remember what I wrote and get back as much content from the post, but it's probably going to take me a few days to sort it all out.

Ah, I love it when that happens. It's the reason I always press

Crtl-a, Ctrl-c in the editing box before posting. That way when

something goes wrong, I can easily recover my post again.

For my build logs, I actually write my posts in an external editor

and save them. Or to be more specific, I write a template and run

that through a script, and the script then automatically generates

the correct BB code for each forum on which I post the build log

in a separate file. Saves me a ton of work. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Ah, I love it when that happens. It's the reason I always press

Crtl-a, Ctrl-c in the editing box before posting. That way when

something goes wrong, I can easily recover my post again.

For my build logs, I actually write my posts in an external editor

and save them. Or to be more specific, I write a template and run

that through a script, and the script then automatically generates

the correct BB code for each forum on which I post the build log

in a separate file. Saves me a ton of work. :)

That's what I'm going to start doing, except I wont be doing the automatic BBCode script, ain't nobody got time for that :P

15" MBP TB

That's what I'm going to start doing, except I wont be doing the automatic BBCode script, ain't nobody got time for that :P

I just do all of my posts in code view.

It's actually really simple, basically just a search-and-replace.

I just do all of my posts in code view.

Yup, me too, unless there's a compelling reason to use the rich

editor (i.e. when I need multiple spaces for formatting purposes).

Old rig.... thats better then my only rig.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

It's actually really simple, basically just a search-and-replace.

Yup, me too, unless there's a compelling reason to use the rich

editor (i.e. when I need multiple spaces for formatting purposes).

lots of return's?

lots of return's?

Yeah, those I have too, but the raw editor seems to handle

them without too much trouble. :)