FX 8120 75C

I just ran IntelBurnTest and temperature would not go above 64C. But in games, after I view hwmonitor after the game max would be 71, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k. Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger GPU: MSI GTX 970 

Have you not seen the motherboard specs? It does support it, up to 140w. 

I really don't know at this point, I don't want spend money on a new motherboard to realise it was the CPU the whole time.

I don't plan on overclocking anyways.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/

is this the motherboard we are talking about? this board is only a 3+1 power phase and i would not put anything more than an FX-4300 on this board personaly...i see in the specs ASUS does mention it support up to 140W CPU...it can't be, it a well known fact that MANY 970 4+1 and 4+2 power phase motherboard wich are much better than this M5A78L are struggling with even an FX-6300....but it's your call, i can understand you don't wan't to invest in a new motherboard at this point. how long have you been running your FX on it ?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/

is this the motherboard we are talking about? this board is only a 3+1 power phase and i would not put anything more than an FX-4300 on this board personaly...i see in the specs ASUS does mention it support up to 140W CPU...it can't be, it a well known fact that MANY 970 4+1 and 4+2 power phase motherboard wich are much better than this M5A78L are struggling with even an FX-6300....but it's your call, i can understand you don't wan't to invest in a new motherboard at this point. how long have you been running your FX on it ?

Yeah thats it. I've been running this setup for almost 2 years now. I could purchase a new motherboard but I don't want to buy it just to find out that the motherboard was not the issue. A lot of bundles on Amazon use this motherboard with FX 8 cores and 6 cores. Any ideas for a decent motherboard under 100 pounds. Perhaps Gigabyte 990FXA UD3

Yeah thats it. I've been running this setup for almost 2 years now. I could purchase a new motherboard but I don't want to buy it just to find out that the motherboard was not the issue. A lot of bundles on Amazon use this motherboard with FX 8 cores and 6 cores. Any ideas for a decent motherboard under 100 pounds. Perhaps Gigabyte 990FXA UD3

nahhh if you've been running it for 2 years keep it like that don't spend a penny on a new board it's probably fine then...and the worst scenario is board failure + CPU death but at this point you would be better having this happen to you and if that happen THEN invest in a cheap 1150 mobo with say a core i5-4430 or 4460...it will be better that way.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

nahhh if you've been running it for 2 years keep it like that don't spend a penny on a new board it's probably fine then...and the worst scenario is board failure + CPU death but at this point you would be better having this happen to you and if that happen THEN invest in a cheap 1150 mobo with say a core i5-4430 or 4460...it will be better that way.

Yea. Thing is, my temps only go high in summer, it always happens in the summer. 

Yea. Thing is, my temps only go high in summer, it always happens in the summer. 

you board is not properly designed to hold such a chip...a 6+2 power phase is required or even better 8+2...thos are found in a couple of 970 chipset board but mostly on higher end 990FX board...but since it holded for 2 years it should hold you till you upgrade everything...

• 4 weeks later...

you board is not properly designed to hold such a chip...a 6+2 power phase is required or even better 8+2...thos are found in a couple of 970 chipset board but mostly on higher end 990FX board...but since it holded for 2 years it should hold you till you upgrade everything...

Alright. I've been ignoring my temps for a couple of weeks now. In those weeks, I would get in almost every single game frequent FPS drops from like 150fps to around 8 or 10fps for a few seconds and then it would go right back up. I saw that it was dropping to low fps when my temps were also dropping and when the temps starting climbing again the FPS would stabilise. It's quite irritating. Never used to happen before. 

Alright. I've been ignoring my temps for a couple of weeks now. In those weeks, I would get in almost every single game frequent FPS drops from like 150fps to around 8 or 10fps for a few seconds and then it would go right back up. I saw that it was dropping to low fps when my temps were also dropping and when the temps starting climbing again the FPS would stabilise. It's quite irritating. Never used to happen before.

this is called CPU throttling and in your case it's probably VRM's throttling, basicaly your motherboard's VRM's gets too hot and to prevent damage your motherboard clock back the CPU to like 1 or 2ghz for a brief period of time to cool itself down and prevent damage...this is why the performance drop significantly while the temps are going down, once its cooled down the CPU clock goes back up, performance and temps do the same...until it peaks again..

as i mentionned already your motherboard is not meant to support such a chip...

As your motherboard will age it will get's worse and worse until one day it will fail, leaving you with a 50/50% chance that the CPU will die with it...

I bet if you touch those unsinked VRM's that i circled in red in this picture you will burn your fingers even while only playing games i bet they run at 100 celcius +, do you have a temp gun?

Just looking at the 4pins CPU power connector on this gives you a good clear indication that this board isn't meant to support an 8 core bulldozer chip, those require 8pins CPU power...

Capture.jpg

this is called CPU throttling and in your case it's probably VRM's throttling, basicaly your motherboard's VRM's gets too hot and to prevent damage your motherboard clock back the CPU to like 1 or 2ghz for a brief period of time to cool itself down and prevent damage...this is why the performance drop significantly while the temps are going down, once its cooled down the CPU clock goes back up, performance and temps do the same...until it peaks again..

as i mentionned already your motherboard is not meant to support such a chip...

As your motherboard will age it will get's worse and worse until one day it will fail, leaving you with a 50/50% chance that the CPU will die with it...

I bet if you touch those unsinked VRM's that i circled in red in this picture you will burn your fingers even while only playing games i bet they run at 100 celcius +, do you have a temp gun?

Just looking at the 4pins CPU power connector on this gives you a good clear indication that this board isn't meant to support an 8 core bulldozer chip, those require 8pins CPU power...

Capture.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I don't have a temp gun. I may consider another motherboard. Also is there any sort of fan and get to blow over the VRMs to cool them?

if you are using an aftermarket CPU cooler, you can use the stock 90mm fan that came with the FX CPU stock heatsink in a getto mounted fashion to blow on the VRM's, yes...that could help but it's only a band aid over a decapitated leg sort of speak.

if you are using an aftermarket CPU cooler, you can use the stock 90mm fan that came with the FX CPU stock heatsink in a getto mounted fashion to blow on the VRM's, yes...that could help but it's only a band aid over a decapitated leg sort of speak.

do you think undervolting the CPU would help?

it would certainly help...but you will have to turn down the frequencies as you turn down the voltages to remain stable so you loose in performance...

If you want to only upgrade the motherboard on the cheap side and get something that will do MUCH better and allow you to overclock the CPU as far as you want (this is an 8+2 digital powerphase board with an 8 pin CPU power connector and high quality heatsinked VRM's) this is ATX form factor make sure it fits your case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717#ov

74.99$ on newegg after mail in rebate, not bad at all...very nice motheboard i onwed this exact one for a while with my FX-8320 kit and it was awesome, zero complaints, throttling began to show only at 4.93GHZ, VRM's temps where always real good (70-75c at full load at 4.6GHZ at 1.425V)... your CPU cooling solution will most likely be your new limiting factor if you go with that.

I_build is completely right underclock it and undervolt it. my fm2 board has a better power than that.

it would certainly help...but you will have to turn down the frequencies as you turn down the voltages to remain stable so you loose in performance...

If you want to only upgrade the motherboard on the cheap side and get something that will do MUCH better and allow you to overclock the CPU as far as you want (this is an 8+2 digital powerphase board with an 8 pin CPU power connector and high quality heatsinked VRM's) this is ATX form factor make sure it fits your case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717#ov

74.99$ on newegg after mail in rebate, not bad at all...very nice motheboard i onwed this exact one for a while with my FX-8320 kit and it was awesome, zero complaints, throttling began to show only at 4.93GHZ, VRM's temps where always real good (70-75c at full load at 4.6GHZ at 1.425V)... your CPU cooling solution will most likely be your new limiting factor if you go with that.

I'll have a look at those motherboards but in the meanwhile, do you have any guides for undervolting/clocking this CPU, can't seem to find one. I've never really done something like this.

I'll have a look at those motherboards but in the meanwhile, do you have any guides for undervolting/clocking this CPU, can't seem to find one. I've never really done something like this.

hit delete to enter the bios at begining of boot...disable turbo boost first, then set CPU mulitplier manualy, then set CPU core voltage (CPU vcore) manually to a lower voltage, you could start at 1.3v and 3GHZ and see how that does, if it fails you either lower the clock speed or rise the voltage.

hit delete to enter the bios at begining of boot...disable turbo boost first, then set CPU mulitplier manualy, then set CPU core voltage (CPU vcore) manually to a lower voltage, you could start at 1.3v and 3GHZ and see how that does, if it fails you either lower the clock speed or rise the voltage.

Alright. Ill try that. I forgot to mention that I disabled cool n quiet to see if it would fix things, its still disabled, this is the thread I followed: http://www.overclock.net/t/1202751/amd-fx-cpu-throttling-fixes-please-sticky

Havent tried anything else there.

Alright. Ill try that. I forgot to mention that I disabled cool n quiet to see if it would fix things, its still disabled, this is the thread I followed: http://www.overclock.net/t/1202751/amd-fx-cpu-throttling-fixes-please-sticky

Havent tried anything else there.

this is related to OVERCLOCKING the CPU, basicaly you have to do the opposite of what is suggested in this thread, re-enable the powersaving features, only do disable turbo boost and set manual multiplier and voltages...

this guide you linked is to remove throttling while overclocking on a good enough motherboard, it wont help in your situation cause if you remove throttling in your case you are likely to fry your board or CPU or both...

Posted Image

Okay. I re enabled cool n quiet. So I'm at this screen here, first thing is to disable turbo core. Then I change CPU/nb frequency to 3000mhz. And how do I adjust the voltage?

Posted Image

Does this look right

Or this :

Posted Image

second picture buddy

Alright. I'll have a go at it.

I found this thread about the mobo you recommended. http://forums.duke4.net/topic/6787-what-a-piece-of-shit-gigabyte-ga-970a-ud3-review/

nope, this is the UD3, the UD3p is a complete revision, not the same board at all, it shares the powerdelivery from it's bigger 990FX brother, this is the 970A-UD3 as you can see, not the same board at all:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#ov

The one i recommanded to you is the gigabyte 970A-UD3P

you will have a hard time finding a review of the UD3P cause it's a recent board...you will have to trust me and my 6 months experience with it ! ;) but do not worry i'm trust worthy!

nope, this is the UD3, the UD3p is a complete revision, not the same board at all, it shares the powerdelivery from it's bigger 990FX brother, this is the 970A-UD3 as you can see, not the same board at all:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#ov

The one i recommanded to you is the gigabyte 970A-UD3P

you will have a hard time finding a review of the UD3P cause it's a recent board...you will have to trust me and my 6 months experience with it ! ;) but do not worry i'm trust worthy!

Ah. Sorry I didn't realise that. 

so is 3ghz at 1.3v stable enough?

so is 3ghz at 1.3v stable enough?

I ran P95 for around 5-6minutes, voltage being supplied according to HWMonitor was 1.270v, it climbed steadily to 67 degrees when the voltage went to 0.900V and temperatures dropped to 50 degrees. I will try playing some games soon and I'll let you know.

My idle temps are much much lower, its around 28-32 idle. Before it would be 38-48 and it would fluctuate a lot.