FX 8120 75C

Hi,

So like always, in the summer I start to have CPU temperature issues with my FX 8120, this time it is much much worse. Last summer I reinstalled my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev.11 and reapplied Arctic Silver paste.

My current idle temperatures are around 45-55. I disabled and re enabled Cool n' Quiet in the bios, still no fix. I use HWMonitor to view the temperatures and I use the temperatures stated under the FX8120 tab, i.e the core temps.

Today I was playing Bioshock Infinite on Very High. I was getting 100+FPS in the same location and a few seconds later I would 20-30 FPS then it would go back up. This happened throughout various places, so it's not the game demanding more. While playing I would alt-tab to check temperatures and it was around 70-75, it didn't seem to go higher than that. Core Voltage was at 1.39. Sometimes when I checked the temperature it was 65-68. 

Heres a pic at idle of HWMonitor:

KWmN6s1.png

The max rated temp is 61 degrees, but a lot of people have said it doesn't really matter if it goes a bit higher than that. 

FX8120

Asus M5A78L-M USB3

Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. Rev. 11

Xigmatek Utgard Case.

Sapphire R9 270x Toxic.

Corsair GS600

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k. Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger GPU: MSI GTX 970 

I think 80c is where you should get worried, otherwise its fine

Diamond 5 in League :)

I think 80c is where you should get worried, otherwise its fine

It's AMD going above 60 is not cool.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

For some reason, this really doesn't seem right at all.

What's the airflow in your case like? Perhaps make front/side intake, rear and top exhaust if you haven't already?

The CPU in question shouldn't really be touching 65C too often, as you will unfortunately start to lose performance at such temperatures (although Zet saying AMD going above 60 in general is not true at all).

Try re-configuring the airflow of your case, and perhaps buy a better cooler (although the one you have isn't bad, there's still much better on the market).

If nothing works in the end, it may very well be a bum CPU at this point. Best of luck!

Pew Pew Helicopters

1x 120mm Front Intake Fan(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-120-Clear-Frame/dp/B005516OOA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1401210430&sr=8-6&keywords=cooler+master+fan)

1x 120mm Rear Exhaust Fan(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-120-Clear-Frame/dp/B005516OOA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1401210430&sr=8-6&keywords=cooler+master+fan)

1x 240mm Top Fan(Came with case)

Before it used to never hit above 65, I don't to go to the trouble of re applying thermal paste.

I get a few FPS spikes at 70-75 degrees.

Im going to run P95 and see how it goes.

There seems to be something weird going on. When the PC is idle, temperatures fluctuate from 35 then straight up to 47/48 and then come back down again. So in order to show this here, I used OBS to record and soon as I started to record it, it stabilised at 42 and went a bit higher very slowly normally. This random fluctuating been happening for as long as I can think, I thought its normal.

Heres a video I took with my phone:

At idle.

View My Video

Alright. So I ran P95.

It one minute it reached 64. At 1min 50seconds in went to 48ish and then started climbing again. And this continued, it would go up hit around 61/62/63/64 and come down to 47/48 and start climbing again.

How come Bioshock Infinite makes it go higher than P95?

I used Blend test in P95.

Alright. So I ran P95.

It one minute it reached 64. At 1min 50seconds in went to 48ish and then started climbing again. And this continued, it would go up hit around 61/62/63/64 and come down to 47/48 and start climbing again.

How come Bioshock Infinite makes it go higher than P95?

I used Blend test in P95.

i dont think you cpu is too hot. I would imagine it has something to do with power delivery. do you have an overclock? is your cpu overvolted? if yes try to turn them down, even if you didnt overclock turn down your voltage and speed a little to see weather it stabilizes. 

the fluctuating temperatures look like some kind of throtteling is going on, though it sould not be because the cpu is too hot...

Nah I don't have an overclock. So I should undervolt my CPU, will that affect performance.

If you undervolt it will effect your performance. You need to get a better heat sink

If you undervolt it will effect your performance. You need to get a better heat sink

People running stock fan, don't get these kind of temps, mine is much much better than stock. 

People running stock fan, don't get these kind of temps, mine is much much better than stock. 

hmm you shouldn't be getting that temperature. Do you have many case fans? 

hmm you shouldn't be getting that temperature. Do you have many case fans?

Yes, I listed them above

Yes, I listed them above

oh sorry didn't see that! Yeah I really don't know

Asus M5A78L-M USB3

Horrible motherboard. I wish they would stop selling them as it would save people alot of headaches.

It's AMD. What did you expect?

huh?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes, I listed them above

Have you tried ghetto mounting a fan to blow air over your socket on the back of the mobo? I used the fan off the stock cooler, a few pieces of double sided tape, dropped the socket temp by 7-8 degrees.

This was with an 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz on an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0

do you still have the stock cooler? use it, it shoud do the job at stock voltage and clocks. 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

If you're not overclocking the temperatures should never exceed 60c on the stock cooler let alone an aftermarket one.
The CPU cooler might not be installed correctly, switch your CPU cooler out and install the reference/stock one and see if it makes any difference.
If that doesn't work undervolt your CPU.

I've never had any experience with the 8120 but my 8320 would max out at 51c at stock on the stock cooler running Prime95. So the temperatures you're posting are absolutely outrageous ! Also what is TEMPIN2 ? it's dangerously high at 128c

If you're not overclocking the temperatures should never exceed 60c on the stock cooler let alone an aftermarket one.

The CPU cooler might not be installed correctly, switch your CPU cooler out and install the reference/stock one and see if it makes any difference.

If that doesn't work undervolt your CPU.

I've never had any experience with the 8120 but my 8320 would max out at 51c at stock on the stock cooler running Prime95. So the temperatures you're posting are absolutely outrageous ! Also what is TEMPIN2 ? it's dangerously high at 128c

I think I still have the stock cooler. That TEMPIN2 reading is bugged, its always at 128, never moved. The CPU temperatures go high even in the easy games to run, like league or world of warcraft.

I think I still have the stock cooler. That TEMPIN2 reading is bugged, its always at 128, never moved. The CPU temperatures go high even in the easy games to run, like league or world of warcraft.

It can't be bugged, might be a defective VRM on your motherboard that's been causing this overheating issue all along.

It can't be bugged, might be a defective VRM on your motherboard that's been causing this overheating issue all along.

I remember it used to work before, but after reinstalltinf hwmonitor it didn't.

Edit: Just checked online, a lot of people have 128C as TMPIN2, its a bugged sensor. ill try reinstalling HWMonitor

HWMonitor Reinstall didnt fix TMPIN2, its bugged at 128.

Alright, so I ran P95 for an hour, and the CPU didnt go above 66.

How come P95 torture test has lower temps than games like LoL or Bioshock?

I thought its a torture test?

Asus M5A78L-M USB3

Horrible motherboard. I wish they would stop selling them as it would save people alot of headaches.

this, that mobo isnt even meant to support 8 core FX chips, let alone overclocking...OP get a proper motherboard...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

this, that mobo isnt even meant to support 8 core FX chips, let alone overclocking...OP get a proper motherboard...

Have you not seen the motherboard specs? It does support it, up to 140w. 

I really don't know at this point, I don't want spend money on a new motherboard to realise it was the CPU the whole time.

I don't plan on overclocking anyways.