Help Taking Apart Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm Fan

I want to take apart my fans in my Define r4 for a little paint job but when I peel off the back sticker there is not little white ring. If someone can point me to a guide or know what to do please help! Thanks!

post-77334-0-83875600-1401144884_thumb.j

post-77334-0-83875600-1401144884_thumb.j

you normally have to peel back a rubber plug in order to get to the white ring, check for that.

you normally have to peel back a rubber plug in order to get to the white ring, check for that.

There's no rubber plug just hard plastic

that's unusual, they might be made so that you can't take them apart without breaking them, I don't know.

Yeah, that plug can be plastic too.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why do you want to break your fan? Just buy the right colour in the first place.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why do you want to break your fan? Just buy the right colour in the first place.

He proably wants to mod it. Frame one color, fan blades another.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

He proably wants to mod it. Frame one color, fan blades another.

If it doesn't say in the fan's specs that it is possible to disassemble then there isn't any way to take the fan apart other than breaking it. Painting fans also increases the noise and worsens performance. Just buy a new fan, OP.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it doesn't say in the fan's specs that it is possible to disassemble then there isn't any way to take the fan apart other than breaking it. Painting fans also increases the noise and worsens performance. Just buy a new fan, OP.

Performance isn't worsened that much.

Performance isn't worsened that much.

depends how bad the paint job is :P

Spoiler

depends how bad the paint job is :P

Maybe he has ultrathin paint. :P

Maybe he has ultrathin paint. :P

Dying the plastic would be the best option because it would not unbalance the fan blades and add 0 thickness :) If you can get the fan blades off in the first place...

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

to get the fan blades you need to hold the fan by the black plastic shroud and push down from the back of the fan with your thumbs on the blades it will then pop off and you can paint the blades 

post-15891-0-65046300-1408295084_thumb.j

post-15891-0-18859300-1408298335_thumb.j