Thermoelectric cooling

Guys it is around for a while.

I think many of us don't know what it is.

Even i don't know.

What I know it uses a cold plate of which one side extremely cold and another very hot.

Guys post about what it is?

How to use it?

How it works?

How to set it up?

I think it will help others to know about what it is.

This is called a peltier cooler. You can buy them very cheaply on eBay

You place it in between the cpu and the heat sink.

Something to do with two semiconductors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Do not even attempt to set this up. Sub-zero cooling is difficult and a big no no. Stop thinking about it right now. :)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

There are a few heatsinks floating around out there that implement this without going subzero, but it just seems like a waste of energy to me. What's the point in using electricity to move the heat a few millimeters when a heat pipe works just as well?

There are a few heatsinks floating around out there that implement this without going subzero, but it just seems like a waste of energy to me. What's the point in using electricity to move the heat a few millimeters when a heat pipe works just as well?

This pushes heat through. It sucks energy out of one side and pushes it out of the other. I have yet to see a heatsink that implements this because of condensation problems.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Is push better than pull? You'd still be limited by how much of the heat the heatsink can dissipate from the hot side of the peltier - can't push heat it it has nowhere to go. The reason watercooling is so good is because water can move the heat to large heatsinks so effectively.

Cooler Master's V10 uses a peltier cooler:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limitstart=3

Is push better than pull? You'd still be limited by how much of the heat the heatsink can dissipate from the hot side of the peltier - can't push heat it it has nowhere to go. The reason watercooling is so good is because water can move the heat to large heatsinks so effectively.

Cooler Master's V10 uses a peltier cooler:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limitstart=3

Ah yes, forgot all about the V10.

Thanks to all of you for the knowledge.

• 2 years later...
I tried the peltier with a cooler master air. 

- Overclock 5Ghz chip i7-4790K, Temp 15-21 C.

- Regular 4.3 Ghz chip i7-4790K, Temp -14 - - 10 C. Ice frozen below the Peltier. I coat the motherboard with a rubber dip, hydrophobic nanoprotech. Been work well for 2 months.

Linus's should make a video about this subject, which might help a lot of OC gamer get off the burning CPU.

Linus's should make a video about this subject, which might help a lot of OC gamer get off the burning CPU.

Linus actually did a video on phase change. Its the same principle just a more extreme version. He also did the pc in a fridge idea ;)

It comes down to more trouble than its worth for 99% of people. Oww and the fridge idea doesnt work. Fridges and freezer arent able to deal with the heat fast enough

Linus actually did a video on phase change. Its the same principle just a more extreme version. He also did the pc in a fridge idea ;)

It comes down to more trouble than its worth for 99% of people. Oww and the fridge idea doesnt work. Fridges and freezer arent able to deal with the heat fast enough

Actually, The Fridge is too Small for everything ( CPU, GPU, PSU,..), no air flow in it, an isolated system.

The TEC is very inefficient. I think about 8% of power is actually used for creating a temperature difference, the rest is heat.

Yes, You are right. Peltier is drawn about 100 watt from my PSU and the CPU is 140W. Both is about 250 W from 750 W PSU. However, the word " Efficiency" depend on each point of views. It did better than nitrogen liquid cooler, better than a fridge, easy to DIY. Instead of using 10-20 % efficiency of the heat sink with 40-60 'C, now I can increase the  efficiency of my heat sink by increase temp up to 140'C. The air in my room can cut the 140'C down to 40'C quicker than it did with 60'C to 30'C.

I might not think it 8% efficiency, cause they used to use it on aquarium water cooling and beverage stock cooling. It is about 20–30% Carnot efficiency.

The TEC is very inefficient. I think about 8% of power is actually used for creating a temperature difference, the rest is heat.

Using the TEC as a TEG is even worse, <1%. But it's still enougth I can charge by smartphone by using the heat of my GPUs while gaming ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil