Little Dot MK IV Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier

Haha, pretty cool to meet someone else who has a dad like that. :D In fairness the only truly high end solid state (power) amplifier that has had a good run in our house were the Mark Levinson No.331 and Krell FPB600 so I can of course not speak for all high end offerings. They were both great, but certainly did lack a lot in comparison with the Vaic Valve Model 52B's that are currently driving his speakers, we both agree on that.

My dad actually saves a lot of money by not buying amps. He somehow finds the schematic for the amps he wants and then he'll just draw and custom-makes his own circuit board based on the schematic and DIY those amps. His current amp is a copy of the TAD-M600. I forgot what his previous amps were based on but they're monoblock tube amps that outputs 300W per channel. I thought those tube amps sounded loose and not very lively at all. Then again, it was just 300W trying to push a Maxx. He's now hunting for the schematic of the FPB600.

My dad actually saves a lot of money by not buying amps. He somehow finds the schematic for the amps he wants and then he'll just draw and custom-makes his own circuit board based on the schematic and DIY those amps. His current amp is a copy of the TAD-M600. I forgot what his previous amps were based on but they're monoblock tube amps that outputs 300W per channel. I thought those tube amps sounded loose and not very lively at all. Then again, it was just 300W trying to push a Maxx. He's now hunting for the schematic of the FPB600.

DIY is definitely a good solution for people who feel a bit adventurous or already know what they're doing. It's not as hard as people make it sound and personally I enjoy it quite a lot. The FPB600 is a biiiiiiiig and heavy box and I can only imagine the components for it would be quite expensive. Has he ever looked into lower wattage solutions and more sensitive speakers? Through the year my dad found that to me the most satisfying experience, if I remember right the speakers in the picture I posted (also DIY, a bit less technical than building an amp) delivers 108db for 1 watt in. 

@LinusTech you mentioned LCD-2 a few times, will you review those?

I'm actually planning on buying them this week or next week, it would be cool to see what you think about em.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Audeze LCD-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg...cant believe Linus bought this...its so...expensive..and cant believe linus went from hd555 to LCD2...one of the world known best headphone out there... (should be above rank #10 of all heaphones ever been made)

I'd love ot have one of these but my wallet doesn't want to date it.

The way it looks is just like sex.

Live your life like a dream.

Changed my mind. Got a few requests for it.

Glad you did! Love seeing reviews on this kind of stuff from what I consider a pretty unbiased, trustworthy reviewer. Even if you don't have all the fancy gear I find your reviews more relevant to what most people will be using it for.

This is mostly the case, however the subtle sound signature changes a lot depending on what tubes you use and even what manufacturer produced them. Tubes can be both good and bad, in these cheaper solutions they will generally use pretty terrible tubes that does introduce some level of distortion however in higher end solution this is not the case. When you start reaching products using respectable tubes these "imperfections" breathes warmth and life into the music, you close your eyes and it really makes the music come alive. This is something that I've never heard a solid state amp do. Now of course it can be discussed to death whether or not this is desirable, but for me music is meant for pleasure, and I get much more pleasure from listening to sound that seems organic and alive than I do from listening to analytic studio solutions. I've grown up with a dad that's been actively pursuing the perfect listening experience for the most of 35 years (21 of which I have been alive in) so I feel I have more knowledge and experience on the subject than most. This of course doesn't change the fact that you should buy and use what you like the most, that is always the case.

Wouldn't you be able to simply change out the tubes for something better though? They even offer a few different kinds on their site.

Hmm...$500? I'll stick to my o2. 

They have a few cheaper versions that are very comparable to the o2.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

They have a few cheaper versions that are very comparable to the o2.

Yeahhhhhh no. No tubes will be comparable in the sense that they are similar to the o2 because they are exact opposites. Tubes color audio and solids don't...

Wouldn't you be able to simply change out the tubes for something better though? They even offer a few different kinds on their site.

Tubes come in many sizes and types, it takes different voltages / inputs etc to drive them and have to be biased in correctly in order to run properly (or at all, you risk breaking the tube). Some are interchangeable but it's generally not something you wanna mess with unless you know what you're doing.

Yeahhhhhh no. No tubes will be comparable in the sense that they are similar to the o2 because they are exact opposites. Tubes color audio and solids don't...

In terms of price.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The replacement tubes will always bring the price up. Solids don't need any more investment after the initial. 

I'm sure the $30 every few years really won't be that much of an issue ;)

As stated several times in various places, each to their own. Not everyone wants the same thing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

man those Logan chirps.....

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

From what I read, the tubes included with the MK IV are already some of the best you can get. Sure you can get others with different distortion characteristics, but not hugely better.

NCIX: N/A

Amazon: http://georiot.co/1JhL

Manufacturer Direct: http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=820

The MK IV from Little Dot is a relatively inexpensive tube amplifier for your headphones that looks great and sounds great, but does comes with the usual tube amp caveats!

Just a note to people that want to try this, Tubes need a warm-up time in order for them to reach their optimal state. It won't sound anything special if you just plug it in and listen from a cold start. Also tubes also tend to die on you over use, similar to old lightbulbs.

If you wan't something just for plug-and-play with no fuss I'd just get a solid state amp. If you want to try something a little fancy then maybe a tube-amp would be better but if you want to save up on costs, DIY tube amps are a little lighter on the wallet if you have the electrical experience.

Wait! did this not receive the coveted Linus Tech Tips 'Better Than Useless' award?

Tube amps (or any headphone amp) are probably about #16346 on my priority list at the moment, but damn do I want one now. Not to use, I just want that on my desk, it looks awesome!

More audio stuff wouldn't go unappreciated Linus :P

Just a note to people that want to try this, Tubes need a warm-up time in order for them to reach their optimal state. It won't sound anything special if you just plug it in and listen from a cold start. Also tubes also tend to die on you over use, similar to old lightbulbs.

If you wan't something just for plug-and-play with no fuss I'd just get a solid state amp. If you want to try something a little fancy then maybe a tube-amp would be better but if you want to save up on costs, DIY tube amps are a little lighter on the wallet if you have the electrical experience.

not everybody who wants to buy because they want to use it ^_^

heck I'd buy it just for the looks and let it stay on my shelf. sadly no spare cash this time.

Live your life like a dream.

DIY is definitely a good solution for people who feel a bit adventurous or already know what they're doing. It's not as hard as people make it sound and personally I enjoy it quite a lot. The FPB600 is a biiiiiiiig and heavy box and I can only imagine the components for it would be quite expensive. Has he ever looked into lower wattage solutions and more sensitive speakers? Through the year my dad found that to me the most satisfying experience, if I remember right the speakers in the picture I posted (also DIY, a bit less technical than building an amp) delivers 108db for 1 watt in. 

The Maxx 3s aren't very sensitive at 91 dB @ 1 watt @ 1m @1 kHz. Also they don't play well with low wattages when it comes to tightness.

@LinusTech you mentioned LCD-2 a few times, will you review those?

I'm actually planning on buying them this week or next week, it would be cool to see what you think about em.

The LCD-2 is a wonderful headphone, a very good first introduction to reference level headphones. If you're into bass, you're in for a real treat with these cans as the low notes are powerful, tight, and well extended. The CD-2 is nicely balanced, and delivers good imaging and resolution.

The planar magnetic driver used in these headphones make them fairly large and heavy. I find it fairly comfortable, but it's not a headphone for walking around, and may be a bit warm in hot, humid climates. Audio Pros looking for an open headphone may find these attractive for long listening sessions and mixing.

Audeze LCD-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg...cant believe Linus bought this...its so...expensive..and cant believe linus went from hd555 to LCD2...one of the world known best headphone out there... (should be above rank #10 of all heaphones ever been made)

Easily top five.

The LCD-2 is a wonderful headphone, a very good first introduction to reference level headphones. If you're into bass, you're in for a real treat with these cans as the low notes are powerful, tight, and well extended. The CD-2 is nicely balanced, and delivers good imaging and resolution.

The planar magnetic driver used in these headphones make them fairly large and heavy. I find it fairly comfortable, but it's not a headphone for walking around, and may be a bit warm in hot, humid climates. Audio Pros looking for an open headphone may find these attractive for long listening sessions and mixing.

I know how they sound, I've already listened to them, I just wanted to see what he thought about them. :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089