On a tight budget, should I go B85 or H97?

Hey guys, so I'm going to build my first pc in June and I don't have enough money for a complete pc so I'm leaving the single GPU for later in summer(It will probably be a msi 270x). The computer is going to be used for gaming at 1080p, some really light editing (some video editing here and there and some image editing here and there too) and for general browsing use.

This is what I have right now:

MB: Asrock B85 Killer

CPU: i5 4570

MEM: 2x4GB GSkill Sniper 1600MHz CL9

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

PSU: XFX Pro 550W Core Edition

CASE: Zalman Z3 Plus

My question is: would it be okay to go with the B85 or should I go with a H97 (I don't pretend to OC) so that I have better future compatibility?

The B85 Killer goes for 80,90€ and I saw some H97 go around the same price like the Asrock H97M Pro4 and the Asrock H97 Pro4. Here in my country these are the cheapest h97 boards out right now and I was just wondering which one would you think is best to go with.

I still have some time till June so there might be some more boards appearing.

H97 is newer than B85, so there could be more newer features than B85.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

B85 is the choice I'd make if I was in your shoes

Compatible with Windows 95

id sa7 h97 because it has more features

B85 is the choice I'd make if I was in your shoes

what if they dont have shoes?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Z97, youll not have to change it in the far future when broadwell comes out

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Z97, youll not have to change it in the far future when broadwell comes out

He's on a tight budget. He only has 2 options.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

id sa7 h97 because it has more features

what if they dont have shoes?

That would be a major problem, I'd have to recommend the H97 chipset.

I think the major question here would be "are any of those 2 h97 boards better than the b85 killer?"

Thanks a lot for all the answers till now :)

I think the major question here would be "are any of those 2 h97 boards better than the b85 killer?"

Thanks a lot for all the answers till now :)

I wouldn't say so.

Advantages of H97 Pro 4:

• 2 more USB 3.0 on the back panel
  • 2 more SATA 3 ports
  • Newer Chipset

Advantages of B85 Killer:

• Better Network card
  • Supports AMD Crossfire
  • Better Internal Audio
  • Looks nicer to me to be honest, although your mileage may differ if you prefer blue
  • Doesn't have a weird molex halfway up the board
  • 2 more USB 2.0 ports

Site that I used to compare:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20b85%20Killer/

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97%20Pro4/

Why would you go with B87 anyways? Just go with a H81 40$ board

Why would you go with B87 anyways? Just go with a H81 40$ board

No one talked about b87 and why would you recommend a H81 board?

No one talked about b87 and why would you recommend a H81 board?

Why not? Anything higher doesnt really make sense for a locked cpu

Why not? Anything higher doesnt really make sense for a locked cpu

I'm not confronting you, I'm actually asking you why x) I only got into the PC world less than a year ago so I'm not that knowledgeable

Also I've heard on another forum, which pretty much the best one from my country, that any board below the Asus Z87-A and the Asrock z87 killer would be bad for OCing. So doesn't that mean that any other board below that would be for locked cpus, even if it is a low end z87 board?

B85 it's a locked CPU anyway.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

B85 it's a locked CPU anyway.

I know that much and I had chosen that MB because I was told that anything higher wouldn't be worth it because I wasn't planning on OCing. But I do plan to have some room to upgrade later instead of buying a completely new pc and that's the reason why I was indecisive between the B85 or the H97 

I know that much and I had chosen that MB because I was told that anything higher wouldn't be worth it because I wasn't planning on OCing. But I do plan to have some room to upgrade later instead of buying a completely new pc and that's the reason why I was indecisive between the B85 or the H97 

well..in that case it might be worth it to get a good z97 mobo if you have some money to spare, but it could be money wasted the core i5-4570 is a great CPU that will last you a long time and by the time you need a replacement you might be facong a new (yet again) socket from intel...i don't know, it's not easy being in your shoes...i would take the cheapest B85 and later if you need an upgrade and B85 isn't good enough sell CPU and MOBO as a combo...i don't know really.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

well..in that case it might be worth it to get a good z97 mobo if you have some money to spare, but it could be money wasted the core i5-4570 is a great CPU that will last you a long time and by the time you need a replacement you might be facong a new (yet again) socket from intel...i don't know, it's not easy being in your shoes...i would take the cheapest B85 and later if you need an upgrade and B85 isn't good enough sell CPU and MOBO as a combo...i don't know really.

Ok thanks a lot for the suggestion :) You might not think that way but you were actually helpful

I'm not confronting you, I'm actually asking you why x) I only got into the PC world less than a year ago so I'm not that knowledgeable

Well B85 boards don't really have any advantage over H81. Expendability.. Well both can't do SLI. There's not much of a difference

I wouldn't say so.

Advantages of H97 Pro 4:

• 2 more USB 3.0 on the back panel
  • 2 more SATA 3 ports
  • Newer Chipset

Advantages of B85 Killer:

• Better Network card
  • Supports AMD Crossfire
  • Better Internal Audio
  • Looks nicer to me to be honest, although your mileage may differ if you prefer blue
  • Doesn't have a weird molex halfway up the board
  • 2 more USB 2.0 ports

Site that I used to compare:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20b85%20Killer/

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97%20Pro4/

I do prefer blue ahah but the B85 Killer seems to be better and as I supposedly won't be upgrading that soon and as i_build_nanosuits said, it is very likely that I'll be facing a new Intel chipset by the time I upgrade so the B85 would be pretty good for what I want :)

Well B85 boards don't really have any advantage over H81. Expendability.. Well both can't do SLI. There's not much of a difference

Apparently the B85 Killer (which was the one I had chosen to be my MB) does support Crossfire, although I'm not sure if I'll be doing it

Apparently the B85 Killer (which was the one I had chosen to be my MB) does support Crossfire, although I'm not sure if I'll be doing it

Most people who have SLI/CF plans usually just buy a card from a newer generation instead of adding a 2nd. B85 boards are like 20-30$ more expensive, if you go with a h81 board you can buy a evo 212 to have some more silence. Anyways you're free in your choices, all I just wanted is to have you saving money :P

Most people who have SLI/CF plans usually just buy a card from a newer generation instead of adding a 2nd. B85 boards are like 20-30$ more expensive, if you go with a h81 board you can buy a evo 212 to have some more silence. Anyways you're free in your choices, all I just wanted is to have you saving money :P

I know, I know and I really do appreciate all the help everyone gave me :)

Go for h87 but I don't trust asrock

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65