AT&T acquires DirecTV for 48.5 billions

AlexGoesHigh

AT&T surely wants its old empire back

AT&T wants to take TV seriously. The company has announced plans to acquire satellite provider DirecTV, and if the deal is approved by regulators, the merged firms will control some 26 million TV subscribers. That would make it second only to the hypothetical 30 million accounted for by the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger, which is still pending. The Wall Street Journal first reported that the boards of each company had approved the deal for a price of $95 a share — which values the satellite TV provider at $48.5 billion. In a press release, AT&T confirmed the news, adding that the acquisition will be a stock-and-cash deal.

DEAL GIVES AT&T MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO BUNDLE SERVICES

The two companies already work together to bundle DirecTV with phone and internet from AT&T, and the opportunity of offering complete packages was likely a part of the appeal for the acquisition. AT&T currently has very limited TV service through U-verse, which is available in a limited number of states and covers roughly 5.7 million customers. Meanwhile, DirecTV has struggled as it, unlike cable companies, cannot make up for lost TV revenues by transitioning users to internet packages. AT&T notes in a press release that the acquisition will let the company "offer bundles that include video, high-speed broadband, and mobile services using all of its sales channels" including "AT&T’s 2,300 retail stores and thousands of authorized dealers."

honestly is getting sick that US enterprises prefer to bid massive amounts of cash to competitors instead of improving its services with said cash, from a business standpoint is the best thing to do, but this practice someday is going to bite them in the ass for still having crappy infrastructure -__-

Source: The Verge 

edit: change format from mobile post to proper news post

Edited by AlexGoesHigh

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Oh shit. Not good.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

GOODBYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE INTERNET!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

well this sucks because I have DirecTV :(

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

AT&T wants to buy Direct TV, they haven't done it. 

To OP: please update the misleading title.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This can be either good or bad depending on how it goes. (Who am I kidding crap is going to hit the fan)

Geez, you should be my financial advisor

Oops i forgot to finish the comment. lol

"But we don't have enough money to upgrade our infrastructure!"  <_<

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

gg. im glad i dont live in the US. also sooner or later, i'll have to move to South Korea

Any new stuff? Have they  bought anything yet?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D