My First Gaming PC

VMaxMuffin

Hello everyone,

Nothing really special here, just my first gaming PC which I built about 6 weeks ago now, after much deliberation over parts and trying to squeeze a little extra money out of my parents... :P

So here's the list of parts I bought, all from PCCaseGear here in Australia:

Parts:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D ($119)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4570 ($229)

Motherboard: ASUS H87I-PLUS Mini-ITX ($135)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 (the exact code is "CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R") ($115)

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX 2GB Dual Bios ($329)

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB (7200rpm) ($69)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650G (650W, 80+ Gold, Fully Modular) ($135)

Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24D3ST 24x DVD Writer ($24)

Wireless Adapter: ASUS USB-N53 Dual Band Wireless N USB Adaptor ($39)

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Retail ($0, already owned)

Coming to a grand total of $1194 (Australian Dollars).

Parts logic:

General: I'm loosely going for a Black/Red colour scheme, but it's actually more like Black/Red/Grey/Silver/Gold... no real clashes in there though. I'm not particularly fussy but seeing as my case-of-choice had a window I thought I should make an effort :P.

Case: I was always looking for Mini-ITX, because I wanted a reasonable degree of portability and also just to not take up too much space in general. The 250D was an obvious choice for me - I loved the look, it had the features I wanted, it's big enough for good hardware, it was a bit bigger than some Mini-ITX cases but still fine for size. Oh, and it was going to be sturdy (i.e. good build quality), something else I wanted for reassurance.

CPU: I was originally going to go with an i3, but after following advice from here and friends I got an i5. No real reason to get the 4570 over the 4440 except that the price difference was quite small (only $10 I think) so I decided why not get the better one.

Motherboard: Obviously choices are limited when it comes to buying Mini-ITX motherboards. Basically I ended up with this one because it looked nice, had 8 rear USB ports (rather than 6 on most motherboards, and trust me, I need lots of USB ports - already using 7 of the 10 on my system). No point for me to get a Z-chipset as I was getting a locked CPU, so it wasn't worth it for me.

RAM: 8GB, 1600MHz is fine, the ram looks nice... not really anything more to say here...

Graphics Card: I was going to go with a GTX 660, but I waited a bit and gathered some extra money for this build so I could have a 760 and an i5. I really like the look of the ACX cooler (even if you can only see the top and back through the 250D's window), and the dual-bios was the same price as the normal single-bios super clocked card. Plus, the dual-bios comes with a free backplate which was awesome.

Hard Drive: I just needed something solid and not too expensive but with plenty of space, so I went with a WD Blue 1TB. I had no interest in buying an SSD for 'phase one' of this build due to them being pricey, however it is on my long term list to get one.

Power Supply: This is a case of getting a little carried away but with good reason at the same time. At 650W, it is overkill for my system, however that wasn't the reason I bought it. I bought it because it was fully modular (including 24-pin ATX connector) and had really nicely sleeved cables, plus it was rated at 80+ Gold efficiency. And it also has some headroom for higher-end hardware if I need it in the future. Basically, this was the PSU that fitted the bill. I probably could have got one for $40 cheaper, but it would have been bronze rated, semi-modular, not as nice cables and little room for future expansion with higher-end hardware.

Optical Drive: Not a lot to say really. A brand I trust, does the job, looks reasonably nice (I was aiming to have as little clash with the 250D's brushed aluminium as is possible).

Wireless Adapter: Again, not a lot to say - looks nice, a brand I trust, it's Dual Band Wireless N (all that I need)... I need a wireless connection because at the moment there is no way for me to get an ethernet connection where my computer is, although I may look into power line adapters in the future.

Pictures:

OK, so here are some pictures taking throughout the build process (please excuse the quality, the light was poor and the pics were taken on an iPhone :P)

Just installed the motherboard (with RAM, CPU and cooler) into case:

rf90rrpl.jpg

Now with Graphics Card and Power Supply (as you can see, I used the flash on this one):

j1cFlPml.jpg

Finished look through the window:

X0uJVHil.jpg

And the front view:

jYX7xvKl.jpg

Thoughts and future plans:

I'm pretty happy with this, I think its very solid and it plays games very nicely compared to my iMac that I was using with bootcamp...

My only issue really is that the second included fan (that you can see on the opposite side of the case from the graphics card) is currently not connected up due to only 1 chassis fan header on the motherboard. I have in fact removed it and the temps are fine, but I will put it back in when I get a fan splitter.

Oh, and also the front panel USB ports are 'upside down', so when you plug things into them they are the wrong way up though. Not really an issue for me though, just a bit weird.

For future plans, I have a bit of a list of things to buy 'when I can':

Number one on this list is a monitor - I am currently plugged into a large HDTV, which is serving its purpose for playing some racing sims but it's not that good for anything else really, but I can live with it for now. I think I will get a fairly standard 27" 1080p IPS monitor (want 27" for racing games, because I sit further from the screen for them), you can get them in good brands here for around $350-400.

I will also buy a fan splitter when I next buy from PC Case Gear (not paying shipping for a fan splitter just because I wanted a nice sleeved one from PC Case Gear, rather than a non-sleeved one which are the only ones I can find on the websites of my local shops).

An SSD is also on the list of things to buy, that will be further down the track. I want around 250GB minimum too when I get one, because I want to put as many of my games as possible on it.

I'd like to change my CPU cooler, basically because of two reasons:

1) The stock cooler isn't exactly quiet, and whilst I can live with it I'd like quieter.

2) It's a bit ugly :P

I have some questions about this though, detailed below...

I'm also looking into some lighting, with perhaps LED fans and/or strips (also in the questions below).

Questions about Future Upgrades:

These are just some questions I have about doing some of the upgrades I've mentioned above:

1. CPU Cooler: What options do I have for CPU cooling? As I see it these are my three options:

a.) When it comes to air cooling, will there be any tower-style coolers that fit (I believe 160mm is the maximum height, although I'm not sure EDIT: It's actually only 95mm, not sure where I got 160mm from... thought 160 sounded a bit tall anyway). I also went with high-profile ram, probably a mistake but hey I have it now.

b.) I know there are some low-profile cpu coolers out there, but I've read that some of them are worse than the stock coolers (I don't really need better but worse is a no-no), and others could possibly conflict with the ram and other components as they go past the mounting holes in terms of dimensions. I was thinking about something like this Noctua NH-L9i Low Profile CPU Cooler, which is smaller than I need but would allow good airflow through the case (a big heat sink would pretty much block airflow to some areas I think). But I'm not sure how well it would perform (although I don't doubt Noctua), plus I'm not a fan of the colour scheme... so I feel like I'd have to replace the fan.

c.) I know I can go with water cooling, in which case I would go with a Corsair H55 as its relatively inexpensive for a good quality water cooler, and I'm not overclocking so I don't need the best.

If anyone could recommend some options from PCCaseGear it would be appreciated. My general requirements, in order of importance are compatibility (i.e. it fits), noise (or ability to make it quieter with a better fan), and then aesthetics (go for black and red where possible). And with price, well basically make the H55 the maximum price, so anything cheaper than that as otherwise I'd just get the H55.

2. Replacing Fans: This only applies to if I get a cooler that I want to replace the fan on, e.g. the Noctua one - what do I need to look for in replacing fans for coolers? I've heard some stuff about 'static pressure', but I don't know whether you want high or low, or if it needs to be 'just right' for the configuration you go for.

3. LED lighting: What requirements are there?

a.) If I get an LED fan, is there (a significant) extra power requirement? At the moment I would running two fans (both of the included ones) off the chassis fan header, which should be fine, but I'm not sure about fans with LEDs?

b.) What about LED strips - how are they connected to power? Also, if I put in an LED strip and didn't like it, how hard would it be to remove?

Thanks in advance for reading my post, and hopefully you can answer some of my questions!

Great build :D

I would totally replace the stock fan when you have the chance. Everything in there is awesome except that.

I might be wrong.

Nicely done that is one solid gaming rig.

I'm digging that case =).

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Thanks for the replies guys :)

If you arent overclocking why do you need a cooler??
Stick with stock..

I don't 'need' an aftermarket cooler, which is why I didn't get one. The reason isn't for performance, it's for quietness (and aesthetics, but that's a more minor thing in my opinion). The intel stock cooler gets loud under load, and as I understand it most good-quality aftermarket coolers (or the fans at least) are quieter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

EDIT: And when I referred to performance, I meant I just didn't want anything that had worse performance than the stock cooler. Just equal at least (and I suppose better coolers can run quieter because they aren't put under as much load).

i have to agree on that one, intel stock is LOUD , i think you could get away with an hyper 412S (aircooling) it's supposed to clear the ram, i not sure in your case, also the height may or may not be a problem.
and it's really not expensive. And it's a great cooler, i still have it laying arround in case my h105 gets broken or something :)

cpu cooling aside, great build!

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

i have to agree on that one, intel stock is LOUD , i think you could get away with an hyper 412S (aircooling) it's supposed to clear the ram, i not sure in your case, also the height may or may not be a problem.

and it's really not expensive. And it's a great cooler, i still have it laying arround in case my h105 gets broken or something :)

cpu cooling aside, great build!

I made a mistake on the cooler height - it's only 95mm maximum (my mistake, thought 160 sounded a bit tall... OP edited accordingly).

Just had a look at the 412S anyway, and obviously it's too big. Thanks anyway.

212 fits??

Nope, still too tall. Like I thought, the only options would be a 'low profile' cooler (where the fan blows either towards or away from the CPU, like on a stock cooler), or an AIO liquid cooler. I might just get an AIO, just for the feeling of badassery... seeing as I will be fairly limited in terms of what low profile coolers I can get.

In any case, it's not like I urgently need a solution, it's just one of the next things I'll spend money on (after a monitor).

Still feel like its overkill..

Try posting for help in air cooling section.. Guys there might be able to help you with something.

@slenderman379 You're right, it would be overkill. I guess it depends on price, if there happened to be one on sale/clearance I'd still snap it up though.

I will make sure to post in the air cooling section, not yet though seeing as I'm not 'ready to buy'. When I am, I will (no point in posting now, you never know but someone may have come up with a beast of a low profile cooler in 2 month's time or something...).

you could get a aio like a h80i

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

so the main thing is silent, looks aside a noctua cooler might be just what you need? or something like scythe , i heard they are silent to

note: noctua is coming up with new fans , so the color thing shouldn't be an issue then any more

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate

so the main thing is silent, looks aside a noctua cooler might be just what you need? or something like scythe , i heard they are silent to

note: noctua is coming up with new fans , so the color thing shouldn't be an issue then any more

Yes I think a Noctua cooler is probably what I need. I've seen a Skythe cooler that may be appropriate, however on both counts I am a bit worried about clearance issues on their higher-end low-profile coolers (probably should have gone with low profile RAM, but hey, what I got is what I got).

I do know about Noctua's new fans (saw the last WAN show), just need them to actually put them with one of their low profile coolers when they come out (or just buy the new fan 'in addition', just it would be better not to have to).

Just out of interest - say it ended up being the same cost for a Corsair H55 or Noctua Low Profile Cooler (with replacement fan), would I just be better off getting the H55? I say this because if I was buying today, this would be the case if I bought a high-end Noctua fan as a replacement (obviously I wouldn't because of the colour still being the same, but if the pricing was similar for the new colours then this would still be the case).

Yes I think a Noctua cooler is probably what I need. I've seen a Skythe cooler that may be appropriate, however on both counts I am a bit worried about clearance issues on their higher-end low-profile coolers (probably should have gone with low profile RAM, but hey, what I got is what I got).

I do know about Noctua's new fans (saw the last WAN show), just need them to actually put them with one of their low profile coolers when they come out (or just buy the new fan 'in addition', just it would be better not to have to).

Just out of interest - say it ended up being the same cost for a Corsair H55 or Noctua Low Profile Cooler (with replacement fan), would I just be better off getting the H55? I say this because if I was buying today, this would be the case if I bought a high-end Noctua fan as a replacement (obviously I wouldn't because of the colour still being the same, but if the pricing was similar for the new colours then this would still be the case).

if they don't put the new fans on their coolers, it's to expensive to buy the cooler & replacement fan . Then the h55 is the best& cheapest way to go

however , i think you can rotate the scythe cooler (don't pin me on that!) in a way that it doesn't have to be an issue. It just depends on the mounting system.

in the end the easiest no brainer i just get a waterblock obviously you won't have the worry about your ram. AND it also makes your ram a show element without a huge block next to it.

This is a nice build. Definitely good enough for 1080p gaming. The upgrades you mention are nice. I'm sure you will upgrade with the cooling and lighting and so forth. But I have become a bit of a minimalist. Maybe minimalist is the wrong word. I've become less concerned with unnecessary components. You may get a few more fps out of overclocking, but you won't see a huge difference. Your rig is good enough as it is. I recommend an air cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo and just making sure that your graphics card has a good stock cooler.
That being said, if you are a "true" enthusiast and want to settle for nothing more than the best, go for it. But I recommend skipping unnecessary upgrades, saving your money and getting worthwhile upgrades that will give you a noticeable boost in performance.

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.