Cool and Quiet 350D

NimRock

Hi guys,

My build is finally complete after several months of work, and then a few more months of getting around to this post :)

I had some trouble along the way, I'll explain as I go.

IMG_1920_zpsd003f227.jpg

First up all the parts! so tasty.

Processor: 4560
Graphics: Asus Direct CU 770
Memory: Corsair vengeance Pro, Blue
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85-D3H
PSU: My existing Corsair TX 650
Case: Corsair 350D
Cooler: H80i (yes I know overkill for a non overclocked build but it was on special and cheaper than a H60 or an air cooler so why spend more to get less)
SSD: My existing Vector 3
HDD for games: WD Black
My existing 2TB WD Green
Monitor: 23EA53V-P LG IPS monitor
Fans: 4xAF120 quiet edition, 1xSP120 quiet edition
Sound card: I'l use my existing xonar DG Pci

Extras
1x 12led Blue alchemy strips ($30*)
Sleeved 24pin, 8pin, and 2 6pin cables in Blue

IMG_1923_zpsc294c4c1.jpg

Then the old rigs comes apart, I reused the power supply, the SSD which was new, and the storage HDD which was also relatively new.

IMG_1925_zpsf0fff412.jpg

The test benching begins. I blame linus for this step, I would never had bothered before his vids. As it turns out the ram was flipping bits, which is where the problems began.

The ram would fail only in duel channel mode in Memtest. Each single stick was fine and would run for over 24 hours. So I got a second set of ram, still Corsair vengeance to replace the Vengeance Pros. The new ram had the exact same problem so mobo or CPU right, or so you would think. Got a replacement Mobo and was having the same problem!

So 3 mobos and a new cpu later (the guys at PB tech in Auckland were great just, they put it on there test bench and kept swapping parts till we figured it out, and I didn't even get everything from them) and it has to be the ram. Replace the second set of ram, and everything works! finally 2 weeks of test benching later, with no gaming rig because I pillaged the PSU!

The odds of two sets of ram both only failing in duel channel mode!

IMG_1932_zps8de722fd.jpg

So in the case it all goes, you can see the new (and replaced once also) Vengeance ram here. Black not blue, I think it looks ok though.

IMG_1937_zps7da1da8c.jpg

Cooler in!

I had problems with this too, first it was running HOT, like 90C and maxing rising when stress tested,  loosened the CPU plate and tightened it again trying to take the pressure off the hoses to get it really flat dropped this to about 75 under load. Then realizing the MOBO fan header defaulted to medium not full got that down to about 65C.

The the most eye opening was turning the fan around from intake to outlet dropped it about 10C to 55C.

IMG_1938_zpsc40d3b5b.jpg

This is the back, I used blue extensions because I couldn't afford a new power supply with sleeved cables.

IMG_1939_zpsf948f69a.jpg

Graphics card in

You can also see that I've blacked out the power supply stickers (a corner is coming up in this shot) I've also blacked out any visible wires that were not sleeved.

IMG_1941_zps126a9a86.jpg

Some cable management later and the back is packed but closes just fine.

IMG_1942_zps33563b9d.jpg

And this is the final product! You can just see the blacked out cables under the drives, I just used black electrical tape for this.

IMG_1946_zps5ddbc920.jpg

A shot with the door on

IMG_1949_zps157d9b7f.jpg

And this is the whole setup.

IMG_1952_zpse9c76ec0.jpg

And a shot with lights showing properly.

IMG_2395_zpsba477c5a.jpg

And this is a shot of the final setup after a few months of use.

IMG_2396_zpsebadc051.jpg

And a shot inside the case.

You can see the rad has been moved, this was to put it on an inlet as mentioned above. I also had to RMA the cooler in the end, the developed a fault where the pump wouldn't run up to full speed after about a month, which made a very loud noise.

I hope you all like it! I enjoyed the journey though over 2 weeks of issues and down time, and having to RMA several parts was pretty stressful!

I like it :) very clean and good looking

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

great job i really like the black and blue color scheme

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Awesome build and great case too :)

OnePlus 6T

nicely done.

I love the 350D

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

Nice! How did you get the tape residue off of your psu. I really want to take off my psu stickers but dont want all the crap left behind

Really nice rig, so clean

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

Nice! How did you get the tape residue off of your psu. I really want to take off my psu stickers but dont want all the crap left behind

I didn't, I taped over the existing stickers with black electrical tape. Then I (my GF who is a biologist and has a very sharp scalpel) cut around the edges so the tape exactly matched the stickers underneath. The overall effect is that the PSU has plain black stickers.

I didn't, I taped over the existing stickers with black electrical tape. Then I (my GF who is a biologist and has a very sharp scalpel) cut around the edges so the tape exactly matched the stickers underneath. The overall effect is that the PSU has plain black stickers

Okay I might try that Thanks man

with the corsairs clean look in front , does your rad. get enough airflow? i noticed you moved it from the usual spot to the front (i'm guessing for looks wich is obviously better :P)

i really like black&blue, i stick with the black/red because my ROG mb&gpu's :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

with the corsairs clean look in front , does your rad. get enough airflow? i noticed you moved it from the usual spot to the front (i'm guessing for looks wich is obviously better :P)

i really like black&blue, i stick with the black/red because my ROG mb&gpu's :P

When I moved it to the front it also went from being an outlet fan to an inlet fan, which netted me a 10C drop in CPU temp, so yep it's getting good airflow.

Bearing in mind that a H80i is way way overkill for a non overclocked build it's running at about 50C when room temp is 20C. If you use a pressure optimized fan I think there is no reason to not put the rad in this position, and it does look better imho. Puts less pressure on the piping too, to put it on the back was a very tight turn for the pipes.

I do worry that the radiator is a bit low compared to the pump, easier for air bubbles to get into the mix. But apart from the odd ticking noise it runs fine like this.

When I moved it to the front it also went from being an outlet fan to an inlet fan, which netted me a 10C drop in CPU temp, so yep it's getting good airflow.

Bearing in mind that a H80i is way way overkill for a non overclocked build it's running at about 50C when room temp is 20C. If you use a pressure optimized fan I think there is no reason to not put the rad in this position, and it does look better imho. Puts less pressure on the piping too, to put it on the back was a very tight turn for the pipes.

I do worry that the radiator is a bit low compared to the pump, easier for air bubbles to get into the mix. But apart from the odd ticking noise it runs fine like this.

i noticed with my h105 that there was some air in it when i installed it and moved it arround; i could here the air rising to the highest point. So maybe there is some air in your pump, wich leads to the ticking noise

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

• 7 months later...

Awesome build, I've just changed to this case since the Air 240 doesn't fit the MSI 970. 

Love what you have done. very excited for my parts to arrive ! ! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333