Will the Haswell Refresh CPUs work with z87 motherboards without any updates?

I've got an Asrock z87 Pro4, but I don't have a CPU just yet, still deciding/waiting for check to come in.

Would I need to update my motherboards' BIOS if I get a haswell refresh CPU,  or will it work straight out of the box?

Also, I've tried to search everywhere, but I can't find any "k" (Unlocked) CPUs for the refresh series. Any news on when they'll release those? I've heard they'll be better overclockers because of some thermal interface material or whatever.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

the unlocked refresh chips come out the 2nd of june

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

EVGA announced that the upcoming refresh chips will be compatible with their z87 boards with a UEFI bios update. So this leads us to assume that other Mobo manufacturers will follow.

Unfortunately, perhaps because a cagey approach to Intel NDA, no manufacturer has yet been able to state outright whether or not Z87 would be compatible with the Devil's Canyon CPUs - unlocked 'K' variants of the Haswell Refresh due some time after the initial launch. The best information we currently have, which is certainly not official, is that these CPUs will only be supported on Z97 motherboards. Food for thought if you're planning a piecemeal upgrade process rather than getting all your components in one batch.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

msi has updates since February for haswell refresh

i think they will pop right on in without an update :)

• type
    AMI BIOS
  • language
    English
  • update
    2014-02-26
  • description
    - Support Haswell-R CPU.
    - "Integrated Graphics Share Memory" support 512M and 1024M options.
    - Improved memory compatibility.
  • version
  • size
    6.07 MB
  • file

Devils Canyon is just a k series Haswell refresh chip

Haswell refresh works on Z87

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

So glad about this. I currently have a 4670K and i was looking to upgrade to the 4770K but now i think ill hold out a while to get the refresher.