Apple buys Beats for 3.2 billion

Oculus RIft Bird simulator

Amazon patents

News Items Amazon patents taking photos on what backgrounds

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP:

Source 2: patft.uspto.gov

Source 3: techdirt.com

Source 4: gizmodo.com

- The US Patent and Trademark Office granted amazon a patent for "embodiments of a studio arrangement and a method of capturing images and/or video".

- detailed patent on how amazon takes pictures.

- "pretty much no way to either A) violate it or B) know if the patent has even been violated in the first place."

- "Amazon's technique is apparently the purest of the pure, being only the photographer, the photographed object/person, the white background, a number of front lights/back lights and some sort of object separating the subject from the ground below it."

- "Is Amazon about to start sending demand letters to photo studios? That seems unlikely."

- configuring the image capture device with an ISO setting of 320 and an f-stop value of approximately 5.6.

- Other things include exact camera and light positioning, exact light wattage, and so on

Router company that threatened a reviewer loses Amazon selling license

Source 1: arstechnica.com

- His review became the “most helpful” negative review on Amazon.com.

- Jacobs’ review details a number of the claims that the company says are false and misleading, including that “Mediabridge has falsified (“faked”) reviews” on Amazon to boost sales and that the Medialink wireless router in question “is identical to another router and that Mediabridge/Medialink only rebranded that same router.”

- An attorney for Mediabridge sent him a letter explaining that the company “zealously guards its hard-earned reputation” and that “you have harmed Mediabridge and we intend to hold you liable for all damages sustained.”

- The company demands that “in order to avoid this coming to litigation” he must delete his negative product review on Amazon within three days of receiving this letter, stop all “defamatory and injurious” conduct toward the company, and agree to never purchase nor comment upon a Mediabridge product again.

- Amazon revoked the router company's Amazon selling license.

- Mediabridge Products wrote. "The reviewer has since changed his review completely to remove the libelous statements, but unfortunately not before having an army attack us on the internet."

Towns

Source 1: linustechtips.com

Source 2: townsgame.com

Source 3: gamasutra.com

- Valve was forced to remove Towns from steam

- Towns was one of the first Greenlit games.

- First launched on Steam at the end of 2012 as an in-development game.

- Original Dev (Xavi Canal) abandoned it February, citing burnout, handed it over to Florian Frankenberger.

- Within a couple of months of joining Frankenberger said that sales weren't going well and development has been abandoned.

- Devs: "Sales are going down rapidly. [...] I can't work for that little amount".

- Total sold: ~200,000 copies.

Apple may buy beats for 3.2 billion

Source 2: theverge.com

- Report from The Financial Times says that Apple is negotiating the purchase of beats for $3.2 billion (streaming service and part of headphone production)

- " In recent months, Apple has said to be developing its own similar service, possibly for use on Android devices, that would augment its own free service."

- Set to be Apple's largest acquisition to date

- Apple declined to comment, Beats did not respond

- Apple is already selling beats products in retail stores

- "Executives from Apple and Beats reportedly met several times early last year, ahead of when Beats went on to launch its streamed music service. According to Reuters"

- "Making the potential deal intriguing is that Beats has offered some of its technology to Apple rivals in the past."

- Apple's largest acquisition to date was NeXT computer in 1997, which brought cofounder Steve Jobs back into the company ($404 million)

Samsung’s Head Of Mobile Design Resigns After Galaxy S5′s Poor Reception

Source 2: reuters.com

Source 3: techcrunch.com

- Samsung Electronic’s head of mobile design, Chang Dong-hoon, has resigned following criticism about the Galaxy S5 smartphone’s lack of pulchritude.

- The realignment will enable Chang Dong-hoon to focus more on his role as head of the Design Strategy Team

- Chang's Successor Lee Min-hyouk became Samsung's youngest senior executive in 2010 for his role in designing the Galaxy series.

- Samsung now sells two times more smartphones than Apple thanks to the Galaxy Series.

Be a bird with the Oculus Rift

Source 2: http://birdly.zhdk.ch/en/about/

- “you do not control a machine you embody a bird, the Red Kite.”

- sonic, olfactoric and wind feedback.

- The olfactoric(Olfaction or olfactory perception is the sense of smell.) feedback is based on the location which the bird flies over in the scenery and ranges from the scent of a forest, soil, to several other odors of the wilderness.

- According to the speed of the bird the simulator regulates the headwind with a fan.

Symantec VP Antivirus is dead

Sauce 1: linustechtips.com

Sauce 2: online.wsj.com

- Antivirus “is dead," says Brian Dye, Symantec's senior vice president for information security. "We don't think of antivirus as a moneymaker in any way."

- Hackers increasingly use novel bugs. Mr. Dye estimates antivirus now catches just 45% of cyberattacks."

- Antivirus aims to prevent hackers getting into computers but hackers often get in anyway

- Juniper Network Inc. wants customers to place fake data inside their firewalls to distract hackers"

- Antivirus software is less effective than before, new prevention methods are being developed

- Norton now includes "a password manager, a spam blocker and a tool that scans a user's Facebook feed to guard against dangerous links."

- Hackers now use bugs to gain access to computers.

Destiny will cost $500 million to make

Source 2: kotaku.com

- CEO Bobby Kotick has revealed that Activision is spending $500 million to try and make Destiny a hit.

- Kotick revealed this in an interview with Reuters,

- Companies often don't reveal financial information

- The Reuters article cites analysts saying that Destiny will have to sell 15-16 million copies at $60 to break even.

- $500 million is twice cost EA reportedly spent on Star Wars: The Old Republic and just under double Rockstar spent on GTA V

Intel Skylake

Source 2: techpowerup.com

- Much like the current 9-series, 100-series will consist of a single PCH silicon, from which several variants will be carved out by toggling features.

- There will be four primary kinds of "Skylake" packages.

- SLK-S = socketed LGA.

- SLK-U = ultra low power bga for ultrabooks.

- SLK-Y = mainstream bga for desktops/aio.

- SLK-H = BGA for conventional notebooks.

Net Neutrality

Source 2: theverge.com

- "net neutrality under threat by the FCC"

- Proposed is a "fast lane to subscribers" which companies can pay for.

- This would undermine the principle of net neutrality

- "could undermine both the companies of today and the startups of tomorrow."

- The new proposal, Senator Al Franken: "would not preserve the Open Internet -- it would destroy it."

- Reddit co-founder is running a crowdfunding campaign to erect a billboard close to the FCC offices.

- Net neutrality advocates state that reclassifying the ISPs as common carriers would give them stricter rules, and fix the problem, however according to business advocates: "common carrier regulations would strangle ISPs’ ability to innovate"

PowerColor Radeon R9 295X2 Devil13

Source 2: videocardz.com

Source 2: tomshardware.com

- 4 x 8 pin connectors: up to 675W (2 on normal one).

- Triple slot, unlike the normal one air cooled.

- Custom PCB, Meatier VRM

- Likely to be launched at Computex 2014

Community Spotlight

Build Logs of the Month

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2LKAgEko3SAVGNuYXBycnBiMlE/edit?usp=sharing

Honourable Mention

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147958-project-affinity/

Oh wow, I haven't had the opportunity to watch yet, but Towns is abandoned? That blows! I really liked that game.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Is the movie trailer he talked about the Linus Tech Tips Movie I suggested? Because if it is I demand 5$ in League of Legends riot points and a free t-shirt or I sue. This is non-negotiable, and I will apply a late fee of a Riot point a day until I'm paid.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

37:48

best linusface ever

eEyggmT.png

what?!

ea4992c568fb5d11f41a0158ef1b8a1b.gif

bonus:

d43d878032b9b4c2f66d328bf2e30d90.gif

you have my permission to use it as profile picture idk if linus approves

Edited by darkspeedy26

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Slick's laughter is annoying! It hurts my ear when he lols. I think it's the mic. Nothing against people laughing, but could you guys look into it

Slick's laughter is annoying! It hurts my ear when he lols. I think it's the mic. Nothing against people laughing, but could you guys look into it

maybe just a little, but i don't have a problem with it personally

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

A little annotation warning when that buzzing happens would have been great. On a related note, can you guys PLEASE look into your audio problems? The overall volume is simply too low, that buzzing was pretty much a standard volume but your voices are WAAAAAAY too low. I have to turn my Windows volume to at least half for it to be a decent volume, but then that buzzing happens and I think my ears are bleeding. 

I just saw this video which for me at least, cleared the question if Kotaku can be trusted as a source so I thought I'd share it:

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit