Running out of ideas - 4770K overclocking

Hey everyone!

My build is finally complete. I will post some pictures in the "Show us your rig section" soon.

However i'm running into issues when overclocking my CPU. It's a 4770K. My motherboard is an ASUS Maximus Vi Formula.
I've read so many overclocking guides how to oc. a 4770K but i just cant even get a 4.2GHz stable.
Previously, for a short time i owned an ASUS Maximus Impact Mini-ITX board, and could not overclock there either. I even posted a topic here on this forum what i should do because the VRM and the heatsink (Ipact power) on the mobo was getting so hot, i could not even touch it. So i RMA-d it saying the board is faulty, and they got me my money back. Since then i decided to go big and got a Vi Formula, unfortunately i can't oc. my chip with this one either.

These were the latest settings i have tried yesterday (could only boot, not stable when stress testing at all)
4.5GHz - synced on all cores
CPU Cache ratio: minimum: 39, max 42
CPU Core voltage: 1.4V - yes 1.4V, it wont even start Windows under this voltage (for 4.6GHz screenshot i needed 1.45 volts...it's insane)
Dram frequency : 1600MHz, Timings are 8-8-8-24 2T

I didn't matter what i do, i tested with OCCT and Prime 95. This chip can't stay stable, not even with a 4,1GHz overclock.
The first oc. i have tried was 4.2GHz at 1.3V, but that failed aswell.
I have a H110 cooler on the CPU that can keep things cool up to 1.4V maybe.

My friend works in a hardware store where i live, and we did delid the CPU to improve temps, They have definitely improved. Stock clockspeeds, and the CPU never goes above 60 degrees celsius at max load.
So the warranty on the chip is gone...

I could buy another 4770K, but it just bothers me... is it really possible the i have such a bad chip???

Please post your opinions. I'm looking forward to try some of your suggestions what settings i should try.

Thanks in advance!

I've read so many overclocking guides how to oc. a 4770K but i just cant even get a 4.2GHz stable.

Have you tried this guide?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

How much RAM are you running?

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

Really looks like you have a crappy processor. If i were you i would try to return it, if that doesn't work just keep and upgrade in ~4 years time. It doesn't have to be OCed.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

How much RAM are you running?

2x4gb sticks, so 8gb total- Corsair Vengeance  1600MHz, C8 

It happens. Even the most expensive prebuilt PC makers will only guarantee like 4.1 on water on a 4770k. Motherboard really doesn't matter much. Over 1.3v? Not good due to temps.

http://www.originpc.com/configurator/prime/3.aspx?shellid=3

4.1 is very possible at a reasonable, safe voltage like 1.3v. So is 4.7. That is Haswell.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

^ Pretty much a last resort guide. Some chips have to run with 3500 cache. Also VCCIN you want to keep in a certain range of CPU voltage, so that comes into play as well.

http://rog.asus.com/244672013/labels/featured/introduction-to-fully-integrated-voltage-regulators-fivr-on-maximus-vi/

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

It's all about how Intel bins their chips.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

not all cpu can be overclock (even if it is a k chip). That is the meaning of the silicon lottery. That is why intel doesnt have it come preclock at higher temp. If they could guarantee the overclock, they would run the base clock higher on all cpus.

btw you shouldnt use prime 95 on haswell chips. they can pull more then the max voltage limit set on the bios. meaning you might fry your chip. 

I know the feeling, my 3570k is pretty meh as well. Can get 4.3GHz at 1.15v but to get 4.4GHz I need to put 1.2v through it at which point it puts out so much heat that even my H100i with 2 NF-F12s at 1400RPM can't keep it under 80c.

Loosen your RAM timings? That might help you get it a little stable.

Hey, thanks for the replies.
I ended up testing for hours today, and i had to settle with a 4.2GHz overclock at 1,24 V.
Anything higher than 4.3 Ghz is absolute fail anyway.

I might need to remove the H110 again and repaste the CPU because im getting crazy numbers atm with OCCT. 1.24V and Core 0 is getting up to 85 degrees celsius. That cant be right...maybe too much thermal paste this time, i dunno.
De-lidding was definitely an improvement, and temps went down , but now these temps seem to be way too high...

Hey everyone!

My build is finally complete. I will post some pictures in the "Show us your rig section" soon.

However i'm running into issues when overclocking my CPU. It's a 4770K. My motherboard is an ASUS Maximus Vi Formula.

Previously, for a short time i owned an ASUS Maximus Impact Mini-ITX board, and could not overclock there either. I even posted a topic here on this forum what i should do because the VRM and the heatsink (Ipact power) on the mobo was getting so hot, i could not even touch it. So i RMA-d it saying the board is faulty, and they got me my money back. Since then i decided to go big and got a Vi Formula, unfortunately i can't oc. my chip with this one either.

These were the latest settings i have tried yesterday (could only boot, not stable when stress testing at all)

4.5GHz - synced on all cores

CPU Cache ratio: minimum: 39, max 42

CPU Core voltage: 1.4V - yes 1.4V, it wont even start Windows under this voltage (for 4.6GHz screenshot i needed 1.45 volts...it's insane)

Dram frequency : 1600MHz, Timings are 8-8-8-24 2T

I didn't matter what i do, i tested with OCCT and Prime 95. This chip can't stay stable, not even with a 4,1GHz overclock.

The first oc. i have tried was 4.2GHz at 1.3V, but that failed aswell.

I have a H110 cooler on the CPU that can keep things cool up to 1.4V maybe.

My friend works in a hardware store where i live, and we did delid the CPU to improve temps, They have definitely improved. Stock clockspeeds, and the CPU never goes above 60 degrees celsius at max load.

So the warranty on the chip is gone...

I could buy another 4770K, but it just bothers me... is it really possible the i have such a bad chip???

Please post your opinions. I'm looking forward to try some of your suggestions what settings i should try.

Thanks in advance!

This just maybe the quality of your CPU. The present 1150 socket Haswell CPUs are just bad overclockers for the most part until you delid them. Since you are on an ASUS motherboard, did you use the AI Suite to do your first OC to see the quality of your CPU? Using the AI Suite to do an OC from default settings can give you an understanding of the CPU's OC potential. I also noticed you did not say anything about your DIGI + Power Control settings, these setting can help get a stable OC.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

• 2 months later...

I know the feeling, my 3570k is pretty meh as well. Can get 4.3GHz at 1.15v but to get 4.4GHz I need to put 1.2v through it at which point it puts out so much heat that even my H100i with 2 NF-F12s at 1400RPM can't keep it under 80c.

Damn that sucks hard man. I tried a 4.4GHz at 1.25 (wasnt stable) only getting about 75C max

2x4gb sticks, so 8gb total- Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, C8

same as me and i'm struggling to get a stable 4.4GHz

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @4.5GHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i - Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero - Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1600 - Storage: WD Green 2TB, 128GB Corsair Force Series SSD - Graphics Card: Asus MATRIX R9 280x OC Case: Corsair Graphite 600T - Power Supply: Be Quiet Power Zone 650W - Monitor: 2x Acer S240HLbid - Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) - Mouse: Perixx MX-2000 - Audio: Logitech G430, Logitech Z506

Another unfortunate example of why you don't buy expensive coolers for Haswell processors until you know that temperature is the only thing holding you back.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I ended up testing for hours today, and i had to settle with a 4.2GHz overclock at 1,24 V.

Anything higher than 4.3 Ghz is absolute fail anyway.

I might need to remove the H110 again and repaste the CPU because im getting crazy numbers atm with OCCT. 1.24V and Core 0 is getting up to 85 degrees celsius. That cant be right...maybe too much thermal paste this time, i dunno.

De-lidding was definitely an improvement, and temps went down , but now these temps seem to be way too high...

if i was you i would sell it and get a different one.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016