Breaking news: Sony designed the PS4 for VR from the start

KakaoDj

Kitguru article

The PlayStation 4 video game console from Sony Computer Entertainment was developed with virtual reality (VR) helmets from the start. Apparently, the light bar of the DualShock 4 controller was integrated into the device with a sole purpose: to include a tracking technology for VR video games.

As it appears, Sony had virtual reality in mind well before unveiling the PlayStation 4 console, which possibly means that the system contains other technology aimed at the VR gaming and VR equipment.

“The tracking light… it was our department that said we need that on,” said Jed Ashforth, senior designer at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said in an interview with TechRadar. “It was for tracking for VR.

“When all these things were coming out six months ago and everyone was going ‘it’s reflecting in my TV,’ we were going ‘oh no’ because we couldn’t tell anyone what it was for,” said Mr. Ashforth.

Wow, i did not expect Sony to be this innovative. Kudos to them for this, IF this is true. Very cheeky of them not to tell anyone about it, though im sure Microsoft has something to say about this...  :lol: Especially since the tracking on the Kinect is considered to be the best out there.

We can't confirm if this really is the way things were planned, but im trusting Sony, this time...

If true, this will definately make VR that much more accessible and popular. Playstation Move is an example of an addon that provides additional functionality to the console, and that became fairly popular. VR could be Sony's next Playstation Move...?  Shame the PS4 does not have the horsepower to deliver a top-notch VR experience, but it will probably be acceptable.

Did Sony know VR would be such a big deal half a year after the release of the PS4...? Not even gonna start the conspiracy theories. I'll leave that to the community...  B)

sony_ps4_dualshock4_2.jpg

that's cool

Sony really know their stuff when designing products. They also know how to make Microsoft cry

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Now Microsoft is scrambling to find a new way to stay in the game.

"We created the kinect with VR in mind. We couldn't give a reason why the kinect was a mandatory accessory to the Xbox One because of this".

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

So, the blue light on the controller is to allow for hand tracking? Or rather, the tracking of your two hands clutched around a controller?

I have trouble imagining a decent gaming use for that, but then again I'm pretty uncreative and unimaginative. 

So, the blue light on the controller is to allow for hand tracking? Or rather, the tracking of your two hands clutched around a controller?

I have trouble imagining a decent gaming use for that, but then again I'm pretty uncreative and unimaginative. 

The entire AAA industry it's uncreative and unimaginative and they operate around your basic "monkey see, monkey do" scheme. What's annoying is that Sony always seems to have some idiot in some basement somewhere working on crappy implementations of things so they can claim "Oh we TOTALLY didn't just copy the Wii motion controls, Bob here has been....ummm....Working on it since the 90s! though it's the only thing we could have him do without firing him, stupid union!

-------

Current Rig

-------

i really dont trust anything that company says

it will try to spin anything to "yeah we meant to do that"

In reality, it's not just that company but all the company's would do/say that :P

Stay?

(context = next gen consoles)

Ahahaha xD So true. 

that's cool

Sony really know their stuff when designing products. They also know how to make Microsoft cry

Indeed they do :DxD I can't begin to imagine what lies Microsoft are trying to concoct right now.

"We created the kinect with VR in mind. We couldn't give a reason why the kinect was a mandatory accessory to the Xbox One because of this".

Lol xD

Sure they have: Bill Gates all but started auctioning off the entire fucking division to be sold.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would rather see Microsoft save grace and focus on Windows 9 instead of trying to grab another piece of the tech market it has no business being in, The Xbone was a PR nightmare with DRM rabies crawling all over, Windows 8 reception is split between like it to loathe it and they've completely ruined what was once a decent IM client in Skype.

Please, Microsoft, stay away from VR. We don't need you continuing being a jack of all trades, master of none. Stick to software.

yeah xD

xbox-one-drm-switch-major-nelson.png

Ikr :D

Still waiting for Microsoft's lie to hit the news in an attempt to keep up with PS4 :D

I would rather see Microsoft save grace and focus on Windows 9 instead of trying to grab another piece of the tech market it has no business being in, The Xbone was a PR nightmare with DRM rabies crawling all over, Windows 8 reception is split between like it to loathe it and they've completel ruined what was once a decent IM client in Skype.

Please, Microsoft, stay away from VR. We don't need you continuing being a jack of all trades, master of none. Stick to software.

I agree, Microsoft ruined Windows 8 because they couldn't keep their attention on one thing at a time. They absolutely messed up with Windows 8, and I hope this time they focus more on Windows 9 (When it starts being developed) than skipping between projects like a child trying to catch 2 different butterflies. 

And I agree with them staying away from VR, Facebook already made me cry when they bought the Oculus Rift, we don't need anymore company's thinking they can achieve something when all they are actually doing is messing it up.

I agree, Microsoft ruined Windows 8 because they couldn't keep their attention on one thing at a time. They absolutely messed up with Windows 8, and I hope this time they focus more on Windows 9 (When it starts being developed) than skipping between projects like a child trying to catch 2 different butterflies. 

And I agree with them staying away from VR, Facebook already made me cry when they bought the Oculus Rift, we don't need anymore company's thinking they can achieve something when all they are actually doing is messing it up.

This isn't even a jab at Win8 since some people legit like it. it's just, MS should stay focused on something instead of trying to do everything in the industry and embarrassing themselves.

Not sure how I feel about Sony doing VR since I kinda don't trust them since all the crazy levels of copyright protection, blu-ray DRM ect that cause more grief to legitimate consumers than anything. Can't even watch some content if your display isn't HDPC compatible, I get the feeling Sony will screw something up. I also feel the only reason Sony is trusted right now as much as it is by console gamers is because Microsoft screwed up so bad with the Xbone. :ph34r:

right when the brought out the PS1 that's something they would say to increase sales "In the future we want to use virtual reality" that would blow the sales through the roof!

I believe this is a load of crap!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

yea now MS will come an say: "see? this is why every xbox one is bundled with a kinect! the kinect and VR technology were made to work with each other from the start!"

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Are consoles powerful enough to do VR?

I remember sony produced a 3D display to use with PS3 at 30fps so maybe they don't care.

This isn't even a jab at Win8 since some people legit like it. it's just, MS should stay focused on something instead of trying to do everything in the industry and embarrassing themselves.

Not sure how I feel about Sony doing VR since I kinda don't trust them since all the crazy levels of copyright protection, blu-ray DRM ect that cause more grief to legitimate consumers than anything. Can't even watch some content if your display isn't HDPC compatible, I get the feeling Sony will screw something up. I also feel the only reason Sony is trusted right now as much as it is by console gamers is because Microsoft screwed up so bad with the Xbone. :ph34r:

True, Sony will mess up something, and this is coming from a Sony fanboy since the Dreamcast :P But I totally agree. Every company screws up at one point.Like Microsoft with the whole of 2013/2014 :P (Only joking)

Are consoles powerful enough to do VR?

I remember sony produced a 3D display to use with PS3 at 30fps so maybe they don't care.

I reckon that consoles will be able to handle it, to an extent, they just need to actually make the tech more 'stable' for consoles (Not sure if that's the right way to put it.)

i really dont trust anything that company says

it will try to spin anything to "yeah we meant to do that"

Sure, "from the start"

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

This seems like the dayz, warz situation all of over again, dayz comes out all of a sudden warz was designed 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I always thought that the light bar was suppose to be for ps eye b/c I heard initially that PS4 was going to ship with the ps eye like M$ was but after the bad reception from the consumer over the kinect, sony omitted the ps eye shipping with the PS4

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Low res VR is the best...