Is this PSU enough? (Silverstone 450w)

Hey there!

I want to buy the Raven RVZ01 case from Silverstone, in which only sfx powersupplies fit in. I want to go with the Silverstone SFX 450 watt PSU, but don't know if 450 watt is enough. What do you think?

My specs:

• Intel i7-2700K@3.5Ghz
  • Asus P8z77-I Deluxe Motherboard
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • Samsung 840 pro Basic SSD (500GB)
  • and maybe a DVD drive

Hey there!

I want to buy the Raven RVZ01 case from Silverstone, in which only sfx powersupplies fit in. I want to go with the Silverstone SFX 450 watt PSU, but don't know if 450 watt is enough. What do you think?

My specs:

• Intel i7-2700K@3.5Ghz
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • and maybe a DVD drive

No. I would get a 550-650W to run that setup. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I really doubt it, if it does the psu will be stressed out and always on up lull load.

enough.. maybe, but get a 550watts...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Looked up to see what people were doing with that psu, and yes, it will run perfectly fine.

It will run easily with no oc. 680 is up to 200w and cpu 100w some for hdd and orther things. It will run fine. Not much headroom.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No. I would get a 550-650W to run that setup. 

With a 680, no. Try got at least a 550-650w PSU, with good build quality you can get a 550w psu

enough.. maybe, but get a 550watts...

there doesnt exists a 550 watts SFX PSU... 450's the max

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Hey there!

My specs:

• Intel i7-2700K@3.5Ghz
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • and maybe a DVD drive

YES, it is more than enough.

People are running watercooled 4770k + Titans and even R9 290x with that PSU.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, you could wait for the 600Watt version coming in 2014

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

it will be a risky gamble

or not

well it kinda scars me

i guess its fine

since other people are running titans on a psu of that wattage

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I've seen people use that power supply with a gtx 680 and an i7 before just fine, but overclocking probably wouldn't be the best idea.

it will be a risky gamble

what are you talking about lol

what are you talking about lol

no, it won't. stop with that bullshit already.

updated

i am more of a worried person who thinks about

what if this happens or that happens xD

just to be sure

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

That 450w psu is plenty for the build. You can oc the cpu no problem.

there doesnt exists a 550 watts SFX PSU... 450's the max

EDIT:

My bad i thought it said XFX (like the company)

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

EDIT:

My bad i thought it said XFX (like the company)

yea, i get those things confused too sometimes :D

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

If you don't feel comfortable with that, you could wait for the 600Watt version coming in 2014

The 680 is a 200W TDP Card. The I7 2700K is a 100W chip. That's 300 right there. That PSU is 80+ Bronze certified. That means 80-85% under-load. You're looking at about 300W just on the CPU and GPU. Now factor in variances and motherboard power. That leaves you at 400W roughly. Now try to overclock. Boom goes the power Supply. With older parts you really have to know what you're talking about. Before you spew shit. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Hey there!

My specs:

• Intel i7-2700K@3.5Ghz
  • GeForce GTX 680
  • and maybe a DVD drive

Get a regular Case lol 

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

The 680 is a 200W TDP Card. The I7 2700K is a 100W chip. That's 300 right there. That PSU is 80+ Bronze certified. That means 80-85% under-load. You're looking at about 300W just on the CPU and GPU. Now factor in variances and motherboard power. That leaves you at 400W roughly. Now try to overclock. Boom goes the power Supply. With older parts you really have to know what you're talking about. Before you spew shit. 

A 680 and 2700k at stock speeds including ALL other components draw less than 350 Watt under heavy load. YOU WILL ONLY SEE THAT NUMBER IN ARTIFICAL TEST SCENARIOS!!!!!

The bronze rating doesn't matter here at all.

And the PSU won't go "BOOM" at all.

1) The ST45SF-G can handle spikes over 450Watt

2) The ST45SF-G has an over power protectin. the system will just shut down.

the whole system in games will use under 300W , with overclocks. also whats your point about the efficiency?

Which Silverstone 450w are you getting? The Gold version or the Bronze version? Efficiency isn't really an issue, as a power supply will be rated a DC output, so whatever it is rated at, it should be able to supply that. However the Bronze version is based on a basic entry level design in which will inherently offer poor voltage regulation (especially when you get closer to its rated output) than the DC-DC regulated ST45SF-G. The Gold one shouldn't cost too much more, so I would recommend getting that.

I had a Rosewill Capstone 450w powering an OCed 2500k and a GTX680 before I gave it away (he still using it). I don't expect you to be using this system as a benching rig where you are pushing your overclocks to its max with a custom BIOS, especially in a mITX case like the Raven RVZ01. So the ST45SF-G would power your system.

mhmm, I don't feel comfortable at all :D I think I'll wait for the 600 watt one, because I might upgrade the graphics card or cpu someday

mhmm, I don't feel comfortable at all :D I think I'll wait for the 600 watt one, because I might upgrade the graphics card or cpu someday

well, I probably would wait as well. Not because 450 Watt aren't sufficient, but rather because the 600Watt version is semi-passive and comes with the flat cable set from factory.

Future CPUs (see Intel) and GPUs (see Nvidia and Maxwell -> 750Ti) should be more power efficient.