AMD Announces "From Scratch" Next Generation High-Performance x86 & ARM Cores

Sounds interesting i hope its not like bulldozer or whatever how it was so hyped it was the first "8 core" etc and there using the old FX name then didn't deliver. 

P.S About time AMD!

i opened the chinese link and saw the picture and i thought it was a troll. lol

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I thought the rumors mainly stated that AMD will be leaving the performance x86 market in favor of mobile and consumer grade parts? If this is true, it'll sure be interesting (I hope)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I honestly thought the module approach had great potential. I guess they couldn't figure out a way to increase IPC while sharing resources. The whole point of the FX line was to increase parallelism, so we'll just have to wait and see what AMD will do with their new architecture. CMT over hyperthreading would have had a nice future if done right.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Finally something can could actually be interesting. Let's face it APU's are not interesting. High performance CPU's are.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Finally something can could actually be interesting. Let's face it APU's are not interesting. High performance CPU's are.

what about high performance APUs? Probably won't exist, but hey.  ^_^

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Hopefully my i5 can last the next 2 years for this architecture and HOPEFULLY its not a big disappointment like Bulldozer.

TBH, I'm still interested in APUs. If they can make it perform as a computational FPU core instead of a GPU then I can see it performing really well. At the moment, the instruction sets for it are just a cpu and a gpu in a single package. 

Even tho its just rumors, for some reason I believe it.

Hmmm, it seems like my suspicions might be right. I had a gut feeling AMD would make some sort of move in the high end cpu market in 2015 (probably q3-q4), whether it be an announcement or even a release. They have to have had a team working on it and had to have something, at least on paper. Now it's a waiting game to see if it's up to snuff.

well hopefully they do bring the big guns out. Maybe they may announce it at their Core Innovation press event. Fingers crossed

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I'm thinking of building a new computer next year. So this might be to late for me. But great news if AMD can do it.

well 4 high performance cores coupled with their GPU seems smarter. 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I think if they could put a R9 series graphics on the APU then it will be a big thing. Then fix the dual graphics setup. or maybe i'm daydreaming again LOL

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I don't think they will be completely abandoning the APU market, after all they are the sole supplier of console APU's right now and they recently made some strides into mobiles so they should continue at least some R&D for APUs. However more direct (and meaningful) competition to intel is always welcome to keep both parties honest.

-------

Current Rig

-------

APU's are interesting as we move into the future of GPGPU. You call any processor with good core performance a "high performance CPU" when in reality APU's are more "high performance" (the A10-7850k is at minimum 3x faster than the FX-8350). It's all about how you choose to utilize it. HSA is still fairly new, and it's still being adopted by software developers. Hardware has adapted to become over 300% faster, the problem is software needs to catch up. So AMD's APU line? Yeah, that's not going anywhere. The next step for AMD is taking their enthusiast line, and their APU line and smashing them together. Full desktop cores (with L3) with the addition of a iGPU would be AMD's next best move in the market.

what about high performance APUs? Probably won't exist, but hey.  ^_^

Games don't utilize APU's to their full extent which is why I don't like APU's. For gaming it's just better to have a strong CPU and a strong GPU. Having a weak CPU and a strongish GPU is a bad idea. APU's are not very good CPU's but are ok GPU's that is the problem. Try and play any CPU intensive game example Planetside 2) and tell me that APU's are a good idea. I have an i7 2600 and my CPU is a bottleneck in that game with a 680. I get frame rate below 60 in intensive scenarios. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Guys the term 'high performance core' does not mean that it will not be an APU.

In fact I hope it's an APU because that's the direction in which AMD wants to take the industry with HSA.

As long as the pure CPU performance is also strong (unlike current AMD APUs) then we have nothing to complain about...

high performance core means just that each core will be stronger , ie the CPU portion of their APU will be more powerful  because they have intel beat in integrated graphics if they can close the gap with their CPU performance then its a no brainer

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

high performance core means just that each core will be stronger , ie the CPU portion of their APU will be more powerful because they have intel beat in integrated graphics if they can close the gap with their CPU performance then its a no brainer

it could also only mean that they will stop sharing part of the cores to other core (to be like intel) and that s it.

personnally i d be totally fine if they only made consumer dual socket boards and make the 2 cpus act like one.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

APU's are interesting as we move into the future of GPGPU. You call any processor with good core performance a "high performance CPU" when in reality APU's are more "high performance" (the A10-7850k is at minimum 3x faster than the FX-8350). It's all about how you choose to utilize it. HSA is still fairly new, and it's still being adopted by software developers. Hardware has adapted to become over 300% faster, the problem is software needs to catch up. So AMD's APU line? Yeah, that's not going anywhere. The next step for AMD is taking their enthusiast line, and their APU line and smashing them together. Full desktop cores (with L3) with the addition of a iGPU would be AMD's next best move in the market.

AMD's plan is to replace L3 SRAM with stacked DRAM, which results in a much smaller die size, greatly increased cache size & total bandwidth.

AMD's plan is to replace L3 SRAM with stacked DRAM, which results in a much smaller die size, greatly increased cache size & total bandwidth.

If AMD can get enough of it on the die dedicated for the iGPU, then they really got something on their hands. Not only will they remove the bottleneck of poor system memory bandwidth, but also greatly reduce the latency. If the A10-7850k had something like this, it would actually be faster than the discrete HD 7750's.

If AMD can get enough of it on the die dedicated for the iGPU, then they really got something on their hands. Not only will they remove the bottleneck of poor system memory bandwidth, but also greatly reduce the latency. If the A10-7850k had something like this, it would actually be faster than the discrete HD 7750's.

For the APU to be HSA compatible the L3 pool of stacked HBM will have to be shared between the CPU cores & the GPU.

AMD's Bryan Black went into great detail in HotChips 24 on how they're going to stack HBM and basically all parts of the SOC and what benefits they expect.