Quiet ATX Case Suggestions

Bluuz

I'm currently using a Corsair 600T and want to switch to something else. My main reasons for upgrading are that I want a smaller and quieter case; I have no major issues with my 600T, but I've been in the mood for change.

In terms of aesthetic preferences, I'm thinking of getting a smaller, "box shaped" case. I would prefer something simple, with fan voltage control and a large windowed side panel. It must:

-have at least one 5.25" bay. (my led strip controller)

-fit an atx motherboard

-be able to house my 11.2" gpu

-120mm radiator support, although I might upgrade to an h100i soon, so 2 x 120mm rad support would be great too.

-silent without compromising too much airflow. My cpu is using Asus' Direct CUII cooler and the case itself does get hot when running intensive applications.

I've been looking all over and the ones that have caught my interest are Silverstone's FT01 and 02, Fractal's design r4 and arc midi r2, and Cooler Master's 690 and 650. I thought about the Haf but the looks really don't appeal to me.

I'm open to any recommendations and testimonies from owners who own any of my listed cases.

Thanks.

I would recommend the Fractal Design R4 because it is a very nice  and quiet case. This case also has excellent airflow imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Another vote for the Define R4. Fractal practically defines(see what I did there :p) the silent factor if you ask me. I'm sure there are plenty of quiet or silent optimized cases out there but my first pick would always be Fractal if I wanted a silent case.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

How much of a difference does the sound dampening foam really make?  And does the r4 have problems with cooling? That's the one thing that's making me hesitant about getting it. My 7970 reaches 70 degrees sometimes, and the thought of all that air being trapped in the case with only a single 120mm exhaust point worries me.

the thought of all that air being trapped in the case with only a single 120mm exhaust point worries me.

The R4 comes with a pair of 140mm fans and has great airflow options.

Another vote for the Define R4. I will most likely be getting one sometime soon, (I may get the XL though as I like big/expandable cases). I have heard plenty of good things about it and it is BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

A quick question about the fan voltage controller. There are 3 settings: 5V, 7V, and 12V. Are those controls identical to using a 5 or 7V adapter on a standard fan? 

A quick question about the fan voltage controller. There are 3 settings: 5V, 7V, and 12V. Are those controls identical to using a 5 or 7V adapter on a standard fan? 

Yes It will be the same as using an adapter.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

ended up getting a fractal arc midi r2. The looks of the design r4 just really didn't do it for me.

Silverstone Fortress FT02, with the fans on low it is dead quiet and it'll fit your card.

I'm sitting next to mine now and it's inaudible.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

ended up getting a fractal arc midi r2. The looks of the design r4 just really didn't do it for me.

Nice choice! :)

It's not as silent as the R4, but it's definitely a solid case.