[Updated 5/27/14] Asus PB287Q 4K Monitor 649$ & Release Date Confirmed by Ryan Shrout!

ChrisxIxCross

V2aMizu.pngP_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

5fellCj.png

Asus' all new 4K monitor originally was reported to cost 799$, however recently an article came out stating that it infact will cost 649$. So I decided to ask JJ and he confirmed that this is in fact true and that the release window is sometime this June! IMO this is due to Samsung's 4K monitor which has been priced extremely aggressively and getting tons of attention. So it's going to be interesting how Asus' "affordable" 4K monitor is going to stack up, and already it's at a significant advantage due to having VESA support, and full heigh/swivel adjustability. Not only that it has a confirmed 10 bit color palette, and its utilizing Asus' all new flicker free Eye-Care technology.

The PB287Q also equipped with the latest ASUS display technology: ASUS EyeCare Technology. The EyeCare technology adopts new Flicker-free technology by utilizing DC adjustment backlighting, which clears out the distracted flicker shown on the screen and delivers a more comfortable viewing experience. EyeCare technology is also the basis of the Reading and Darkroom modes in SplendidPlus™; these profiles effectively reduce the level of blue light, ensuring less eyestrain and healthier eyes.

Anyways i'm personally super excited for this monitor and for the price of 649$ that is an absolutely amazing deal.

Additionally the full write up for this Monitor just went up on Asus' website -
http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/PB287Q/

Update: JJ recently confirmed that the ETA on this Monitor is the first week of June - 

3vkJoSL.jpg

Update 2: Pcper just uploaded their video on this monitor and they have confirmed that the official release date is June 10th! :D

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-PB287Q-4K-UHD-28-Monitor-Review/Pricing-Availability-and-Closing-Thoughts

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

i want one. if only i had 650 dollars and lived in the us

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

TN Panel? Nope. 

It's not your typical crappy 50$ 1080p TN panel, since they have to cram so much pixels in such a small space the grade of the panel is significantly better and this has full 10 bit color depth. Even in Linus' video on the Samsung 4K monitor he said how it doesnt look bad at all and the viewing angles are decent as well. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

It's not your typical crappy 50$ 1080p TN panel, since they have to cram so much pixels in such a small space the grade of the panel is significantly better and this has full 10 bit color depth. Even in Linus' video on the Samsung 4K monitor he said how it doesnt look bad at all and the viewing angles are decent as well. 

But he also complained about the grey's being off, and sometimes color uniformity was an issue.

OT: If only I didn't just spend 530$ on headphones I could buy this lul >.>

I'll probably get more use out of them than a 4k monitor though, maybe in a few generations of GPU.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'll stick to my UP2414Q. 

Everything on the screen is going to look like 6-8 pt. font lol.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I'll stick to my UP2414Q. 

Daaaamn 24" @ 4K?! And yes I know IPS will always be better than TN, period. All i'm saying is these new TN 4K monitors are not using your typical crappy TN panel. 

But he also complained about the grey's being off, and sometimes color uniformity was an issue.

OT: If only I didn't just spend 530$ on headphones I could buy this lul >.>

I'll probably get more use out of them than a 4k monitor though, maybe in a few generations of GPU.

Well yea its still TN so it has its drawbacks, but it sure as hell does not look like garbage. Hopefully Linus will do a video an the Asus one which might actually be better since this is a Professional series monitor, whereas I think Samsung cut corners with theirs and didnt really care too much. 

It'll be fine for gaming unless you are very concerned with color depth in your games. It'll be fine for creative work unless you are doing precise color work.

CAD programs will benefit from this, more pixels to make a render look better is always a good thing.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

since its 1ms then its a TN panel

but since its 10bit then its one of those rare good quality TN panels

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yea, soooo dificult  :rolleyes:

4k 23 inch panel = 191.56ppi

1080p 5 inch panel = 385.68 ppi

-------

Current Rig

-------

nice i might sell main so i can gather some money for this

good stuff!!!

PC Gaming forever...

Yea, soooo dificult :rolleyes:

4k 23 inch panel = 191.56ppi

1080p 5 inch panel = 385.68 ppi

Lol costs/ manufacturing for making phone displays has been around for a good loong while. If they were to make a display using the same tech/ factory process they have in phones it would cost an obscene amount of money. It is much easier for them to cram 1080 into 5" than 4K into 28" because they only have to worry about a small surface area. You cant simply compare the two like that, its like apples and oranges.

Lol costs/ manufacturing for making phone displays has been around for a good loong while. If they were to make a display using the same tech/ factory process they have in phones it would cost an obscene amount of money. It is much easier for them to cram 1080 into 5" than 4K into 28" because they only have to worry about a small surface area. You cant simply compare the two like that, its like apples and oranges.

Exactly, except backwards: Manufacturing something that is bigger it's always easier (unless it's so big is unwieldy like airplane parts). There might not be factories ready to produce big monitors with better resolutions, but the technology is there and a production line for high resolution monitors would be way cheaper to implement than one for phones. The only reason phone screens are cheaper is because nobody really uses computers monitors and they're nowhere near as popular as mobile devices, mass production helps bring costs down. Since people using TVs and Computers would actually want content to use in 4k That is what slows them from mass adoption. Lack of demand has nothing to do with the lack of technology for efficient and cost effective manufacturing processes however.

But the process being "completely different" and "more difficult?" yeah, no offense but that's nonsense.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Rog swift pls

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

Exactly, except backwards: Manufacturing something that is bigger it's always easier (unless it's so big is unwieldy like airplane parts). There might not be factories ready to produce big monitors with better resolutions, but the technology is there and a production line for high resolution monitors would be way cheaper to implement than one for phones. The only reason phone screens are cheaper is because nobody really uses computers monitors and they're nowhere near as popular as mobile devices, mass production helps bring costs down. Since people using TVs and Computers would actually want content to use in 4k That is what slows them from mass adoption. Lack of demand has nothing to do with the lack of technology for efficient and cost effective manufacturing processes however.

But the process being "completely different" and "more difficult?" yeah, no offense but that's nonsense.

I guess you have a point here, but what I was saying earlier was since they are putting so much pixels in a small area makes the grade of the TN panel far greater due to the current manufacturing process they need in order to make a high res monitor. Like you said once 4K becomes the "new" 1080p then a ~$200-$300 TN 4K monitor would most likely look like garbage.

Any TN=Nope

A 144hrz + gsync + high persistence + 1440p / TN = still want.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

I want an ips with Gsync. :)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Whats a high refresh rate for an ips panel?  Do they go over 60hz?