WASD CODE 87 Keyboard w/ Cherry MX Clear Switches

My WASD Keyboard CODE 87 arrived today in a shipping box suitable for full-sized keyboards, complete with pink packing peanuts! Its product packaging is a very simple waxy white cardboard deal with only the definition of "code" printed on the top. Inside is a key cap puller, a Micro-B USB cable, PS/2 adapter, dip switch guide, and of course, the keyboard.

I've been using a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Brown switches for a few years, so this is a bit of a size comparison between the two.

ApzJlxJ.jpg

The CODE is slightly larger and heavier (960 grams without cable vs. Filco's 952 grams with cable). Its case is more angular and sharp compared to the Filco and has a leathery textured feel to its plastic instead of the standard smoothness. There is no visible branding and the caps and scroll lock indicators are pin holes with a white LED - they assume you're able to figure out which is which. The feet were extremely grippy on my glass desk, so much so that I can use the keyboard as a brace to push myself away from the desk in an office chair on carpet. I don't plan on making a habit out of doing it, but it can be done!

Moving on to key caps - Filco on left, CODE on right:

l2KU51l.jpg

Obviously we're dealing with back lighting here, so the CODE uses translucent ABS. I had heard some horror stories regarding WASD key caps so I was prepared for the worst. My only real complaint when compared to the Filco key caps would be the mold edges that were not filed down. Normally I couldn't care less, but those nasty little bits are plainly visible against the white back lighting. Speaking of back lighting, there are 7 grades:

http://youtu.be/ZuIyleqxo7U

Personally, I probably won't use the back lighting, and I could only tolerate up to about 3/7 with it on before noticing it shine off nearby glossy plastics and/or glass. Dip switch 6 must be ON for the LED ON/OFF and toggle functions to work, and the keyboard must not be powered to adjust dip switches. I was under my desk fiddling with the cable when I realized it probably would have been easier to just remove the other end at the keyboard. Yes, this is my first keyboard with a detachable cable. I think I'll enjoy it provided I remember I have the option.

"It's a damn keyboard, we get it, how do the bloody switches perform?!"

I was excited to try the Cherry MX Clears. Browns are (were? :ph34r:) currently my favorite, and hearing that Clears were just stiffer Browns had me interested. After typing on them for only a couple hours, I would say they are a very different experience from Browns. The tactile bump is far more pronounced than Browns, I was very aware of the actuation point - more of a "HERE IT IS" compared to the Browns' "THERE IT WAS" if that makes sense, enabling me to touch type and not bottom out much easier. That makes this a quieter keyboard than my Filco. I can still bottom out and make it noisy as hell, but I don't - the springs are too heavy post-actuation to comfortably allow it. Typing with Clears feels great. If you're somewhat ham-fisted like I am, but still want to learn to properly touch type with a mechanical keyboard, these are the best way to do it in my experience.

Gaming probably won't feel very good. The springs are just too heavy. For frequent bottoming out, you're better off sticking with Reds.

Another reason I decided to go with the CODE was its on-board support for the Colemak layout. It's something I'm interested in trying in addition to the touch typing experience. Here's where a big criticism of the keyboard comes in:

http://youtu.be/MtyCmuKr5ZA

The right shift key is ridiculously squeaky. Thankfully this was the only affected key. I had read others' accounts of squeaky keys like this, but was crossing my fingers for no issues. I rarely use the right shift key right now, but practicing proper typing is going to be quite annoying with it like that. I'm a bit OCD too, so just knowing the problem exists bugs me.

For the US$162.86 it cost me including shipping, I expect a higher level of quality control. QC issues aside, this is a solid keyboard that offers an excellent typing experience with its Cherry MX Clear switches. Are Clears worth all the hype? From a brief experience, I would say so. If Clears pique your interest, would you be better served by a more basic keyboard with less to go wrong and tighter QC? Possibly. But for my unique desires, the CODE checked all the boxes and I'm very pleased. Thanks for reading.

Damn that is a sexy keyboard

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Nice review. I think I might want browns instead of reds though (personally).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Informative.

I've been umming and arrring over the Code Clear for a few months now (ever since I found out it was being made by WASD).  I type Colemak. Very nice layout.

I have four Filco TKL's and one Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red.

Blues (not to sure about typing on them, nice feel but way too noisy for my liking - or anyone else in my househould),

Blacks (nice but like something lighter),

Browns (my first MX Cherry Mechanical Keyboard - and typing on it now),

and MX Reds (love reds; light smooth, responsive; and my wife likes them too - more than any other switch - so she 'liberated my Ltd Edition Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red Mechanical Keyboard - I can see it now, over at her computer, plugged in - calling to me - but its hers now - I digress :( ).

Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red (love the reds - see above sentance - but the Compact Nopoo layout was really messing with my touch typing and the Nopoo Mini has this weird "WinDowZzz" centric thing where one of the keys only works in Microsoft when you have a program installed so effectivly one of the keys, the right click mouse key, is disabled in Linux...  NOT HAPPY about that so I won't be buying one again - going to canibalise it for Cherry MX Red Switches - the board itself is useless to me.)

After a week or two how are you finding the MX Clears compared to the MX Browns?  I love to spring a $200 for one but have 'maxed out my keyboard fetish on the four Filcos I've just mentioned.  Was thinking of modding my MX Brown Filco TKL with 25 Cherry MX Clears I have laying around (just the major rows for typing in Colemak) just to try them (MX Clears) out.

Do you consider the Code Clear a long term typing experience?  Are you warming to it (and MX Clears) or do you still have the itch to try another Cherry MX Switch for comparison?

After a week I'm leaning more in favor of the Clears. I've moved the Filco to docked laptop duty and haven't used it much. When I switched to Browns I was happy with the tactile feedback so I could learn to not bottom out without all the noise from Blues. I'm not a very good typist though, I struggle to maintain 90wpm on the best days. Browns are pretty light, and I was finding that I could not be both quick and delicate. Clears are more inline with how I naturally type. They allow me to speed up because they do not give any incentive to pass the actuation point, yet I do not feel that they are fatiguing because of that resistance. I haven't done any hardcore marathon typing to say whether I'd feel the same after a few hours. Even after a week I feel they've done more for improving my typing than Browns did over the past 4 years.

My goal is to improve typing though, so while I think I've found a switch that really suits that goal well, it might not be the best switch for someone that's already satisfied with their skills. I'm definitely warming up to the Clears, it's a shame they're relatively rare; I'd love to have more board options. The only mainstream switch I haven't tried would be the Cherry MX Green. I have no desire for another clicky switch, let alone a ridiculously heavy one. The noise with Blues was not something I found to be relaxing. The only other switch I'd really like to try at this point would be a Topre. For now, my go-to typing switch would be the Clears. For general purpose including gaming I'd probably go with Reds.

I was looking at the CODE keyboard, but the price premium just didn't make sense for me since I don't really care for the backlighting or programmable features. I ended up with a QFR with mx greens. I really like em, but I prefer heavier switches. The click is satisfying however they do have a vague reset point.

I do like the tactility of clear switches, though. I picked up an old Cherry G80 8100 with clears off ebay. It has a tactile grey switch for the spacebar which is just a clear with an 80g spring. I'd love for someone to make a keyboard with nothing but those. It would offer a similar experience to my SGI 9500900 with Alps cream switches (70g tactile). The creams really made me a fan of tactile, non-clicky switches.

I may just have to build my own. I considered modding the clears I have, but finding heavier springs has proven difficult.

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

I've been using the 104 key version for about a week, and this review is spot on. For what it's worth the only quality issues I have experienced is that there are about 5 keys where the back light appears more of a creamy-white rather than the pure white the other keys have.

I've been using the 104 key version for about a week, and this review is spot on. For what it's worth the only quality issues I have experienced is that there are about 5 keys where the back light appears more of a creamy-white rather than the pure white the other keys have.

I was ready to chalk this up to differences in key cap thickness compared to the translucent legend, but I pulled a couple caps off and there certainly seems to be a noticeable difference in color temperature between some of the LEDs. It's really hard for me to notice that difference at a glance with the key caps on, I thought my bad eyes were playing tricks on me.

qYli5bB.jpg

CBepPXN.jpg

After a week I'm leaning more in favor of the Clears. I've moved the Filco to docked laptop duty and haven't used it much. When I switched to Browns I was happy with the tactile feedback so I could learn to not bottom out without all the noise from Blues. I'm not a very good typist though, I struggle to maintain 90wpm on the best days. Browns are pretty light, and I was finding that I could not be both quick and delicate. Clears are more inline with how I naturally type. They allow me to speed up because they do not give any incentive to pass the actuation point, yet I do not feel that they are fatiguing because of that resistance. I haven't done any hardcore marathon typing to say whether I'd feel the same after a few hours. Even after a week I feel they've done more for improving my typing than Browns did over the past 4 years.

My goal is to improve typing though, so while I think I've found a switch that really suits that goal well, it might not be the best switch for someone that's already satisfied with their skills. I'm definitely warming up to the Clears, it's a shame they're relatively rare; I'd love to have more board options. The only mainstream switch I haven't tried would be the Cherry MX Green. I have no desire for another clicky switch, let alone a ridiculously heavy one. The noise with Blues was not something I found to be relaxing. The only other switch I'd really like to try at this point would be a Topre. For now, my go-to typing switch would be the Clears. For general purpose including gaming I'd probably go with Reds.

I just spent 3 hours de-soldering out the home row of my Filco MX Brown TKL.  Now have a home row of MX Clears.  

Hmmm...

Takes a bit of getting used to.   

Not sure if I like it. I know it is just a matter of time though ... 

BUT

... I'm eyeing off the Noppoo Choc Miny with MX Reds - to canibalise it ;)     May as well use those MX Reds for something.  My 6 year old daughter is going to be spewing... It got relegated to her to learn touch typing for Prep.  Now she is going to have to start over again on another switch.

The backlight looks fantastic :D.   

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

150 bucks, I'd rather get a Rapid I but nonetheless a nice and detailed review!

Thanks!

@cae

The backlight looks fantastic :D.   

Sexy keyboard. 10/10 would bang/buy if I have money.

The backlighting does look good and it is a sexy keyboard. TBH though, I find the prospect of native Colemak the biggest and best feature (I type Colemak) and the prospect of having a Colemak keyboard is, well, just a bit too enticing; except for the $200 odd dollars it will take to avail myself of one and have it delivered to  Oz.

@ OP.  Have you tried another layout yet?  Surely you have dabbled already and decided to ditch the archaic QWERTY?

@Spinifex Yes, I have, but it's going to take a while to get used to the layout. Do you have any tips for switching over? One finding is that caps lock properly switches to backspace and doesn't turn the light on! That's something I couldn't find in other reviews. Colemak is pretty sweet, even when I'm messing up it's like "You could have home-rowed that whole thing!"

• 2 months later...

great write up.. very informative.

any others issues crop up since your initial review?