The beautiful Workhorse [Day 4 ~ Hardware pr0n]

Alright here it goes.
You may or may have not seen the planning phase of this where I presented you guys with my idea.
Link here

The basic Idea is to build my Designers Dream Workstation dubbed „The beautiful Workhorse“.
It is not gonna be used to play the latest gaming titles but to allow me be as productive and good at my job as I can be.
But while doing that also be as nice looking and quite as is possible because it will be an important part of my life as I have to sit many hours beside it and even if Im not working it will stand as a main piece of the room.

Anyway...Now it's beginning.

Here you have the Parts List again for reverence.

Case: 

NZXT Phantom 530 Black
CPU:
Intel i7 4770K
CPU Cooling: 
NZXT Kraken X60
Cooling Fans: 
2x 140mm Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro PK2
Case Fans: 
1x 200mm BitFenix Spectre white LED as Front intake, 
1x 140mm BitFenix Spectre white LED as front intake and 
1x 140mm BitFenix Spectre white LED as rear exhaust 
Motherboard: 
MSI MPower Z87
Graphic: 
MSI GeForce GTX 770 Lightning-Edition
RAM: 
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB DDR3-1866 2*8 Kit
PSU: 
Corsair RM Series 750W
SSD: 
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Storage: 

Western-Digital Green 2T

Day 1: "In that case..."  -  See below.

Day 2: „You can't always get what you want..."

Day 3: "Its so easy!"

Day 4: "Its just like Christmas..."

Day 1: "In that case..."

The first and most important piece has arrived just yesterday. A very nice NZXT Phantom 530 case in black. 
log_1ivqsc.jpg
Still hiding the bugger

log_2o4rkn.jpg
Unboxed but still shy the beast.

log_2-2z3q78.jpg

And here it is in all its glory.

I have to say I am quite impressed by the thing.
It may have to do with the fact that I didn't see many such nice build PC Cases for quite some time (ie ever)
but the quality and level of production design of this case just amazes me.
And now that I am seeing it in person right in front of me I have to say I really dig the Phantom design!
Pictures don't do it justice...Its sleek, spacious and just plain impressively beautiful in my eyes...

Alright I will stop now blabbering on about how it looks

Now you see I do want to modify the case a good bit 
So the first thing after I stopped glaring at it for a while was stripping it down. (oh my this is getting worse...)
log_3nqoro.jpg

Alright lets keep it together here. 
I disassembled the thing to look how good it would be to mod, paint and such.
And I was very pleased to see that most any parts are easily removed or are just screwed in place.
especially parts of the trim and front I/O are very easy to disassemble.
So it will be easy to prepare the single parts for painting later on.

Also I quite like how spacious it is inside.
I took out all the HDD racks instantly as I will be using just an SSD for the OS and the important programs and an 2TB scratch disk which I can hide easily away. All other data will be stored and backed up separately

Now I will have to find a Paint Shop who will and can do what I wanna do with the case.
I want to have it painted it in a real nice matte black.
Also I'm going to mod the side panel to have a single big window inspired by the angled CPU cutout on the motherboard tray. 
A bit like this:
case_sidepaneldesign_aeq6h.jpg

And I don't really know if I can do this kind of metal work myself...I much likely be screwing it up somehow and ruin the case...
For me this is kind of a big decision to paint the case because I want to have It done perfectly.

So I will see maybe I will set it up first and do the painting later on.
So we'll see...

Oh and I also got the nice sleeved white LED strip from NZXT.
And look was the shop put in the little box as well.
log_5llqi9.jpg
With something like this you know Its gonna be a good day :)

I hope you are at least a bit as excited as I am ^^
​I will keep you guys updated as soon as the next parts arrive. Hopefully next week tho.

Build Log: The beautiful Workhorse

Case_NZXT Phantom 530 Black CPU_Intel i7 4770K Cooling_NZXT Kraken X60 Motherboard_MSI MPower Z87 Graphic_MSI GeForce GTX 760 HAWK-Edition 

RAM_Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB DDR3-1866 PSU_Corsair RM Series 750W SSD_Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Stoarge_Western-Digital Green 2T

there is nothing better in the world than building something with your hands, but I probably couldn't wait that long :D

id cut down on the case fans, they wont increase temps that much and will only add noise, but you can see for yourself and install them all, if they are to loud, id suggest removing the rear and front fan (140mm ofcourse) as those have almost no reason to be there

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

The color combination looks really nice. Regarding your options for painting, perhaps consider a powdercoat if you haven't thought of that. Offer's a very clean crisp look, it is quicker to apply and more durable aswell. In regards to the single side panel window, judging by your design idea you'll have to cut a bigger window then the one shown, this is because of the air vent to the bottom right of the side panel. You could certainly do this yourself if you have the tools, preferably a Dremel. Either way it wouldn't cost much at all to have a metal fabrication shop do the work for you.

I was hesitant about painting a part for my case myself, but just requires abit of research into appropriate paints to use and methods to apply. It really isn't hard at all and it's alot of fun. If this case can be completely broken down and unscrewed painting will certainly be alot easier, but I'm not sure if this case is put together with rivets however. 

-snip tutorial-

Yeah a powder-coat is a good idea actually. thanks for that!

I will have to talk to the shop about that next week. For now here in germay we have a holidays so most shops are closed for a few days.

As to doing the mods myself. I wouldn't mind doing some paint works at all.

In fact I just painted an old system I had laying around. Nice bit of fun indeed ;)

But when it comes to the metal work...as you said it's probably easier if I just a metal shop to do it since it will require a bit more then just cutting a hole in the panel. Also I don't really have the tools handy to do it myself..so yeah.

But thanks for the comment :)

id cut down on the case fans, they wont increase temps that much and will only add noise, but you can see for yourself and install them all, if they are to loud, id suggest removing the rear and front fan (140mm ofcourse) as those have almost no reason to be there

so you mean the fans are overkill then?

My reasoning behind this is that I am going to really on real good airflow to cool many parts kinda passively and help with cooling all together. 

Also I want to create positive pressure in the case to keep the dust out of the pretty open parts of the case.

And I looked long and hard to find good fans which don't get to loud because they are either low voltage or are PWM.

But maybe I really can cut down one or two fans :)

Case_NZXT Phantom 530 Black CPU_Intel i7 4770K Cooling_NZXT Kraken X60 Motherboard_MSI MPower Z87 Graphic_MSI GeForce GTX 760 HAWK-Edition 

RAM_Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB DDR3-1866 PSU_Corsair RM Series 750W SSD_Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Stoarge_Western-Digital Green 2T

I see, you've ordered from Caseking?! :D 

Stoked on the build, the sketch shot looks awesome! :)

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I see, you've ordered from Caseking?! :D

Stoked on the build, the sketch shot looks awesome! :)

Well yes I did. :)

Thanks for the nice words.

Im pretty stoked as well. In fact a good friend of mine also said he want's to be around when I put it together :D

The case looks so sexy in gloss black already why the choice of matte black? (finger prints incoming)

CPU: I74770K @ 4.2, MOBO: ASUS Z87 EXPERT, RAM: CORSAIR VENGANCE PRO 16G @ 1886, GPU: EVGA DUAL FTW GTX 780, CASE: NZXT H440 WHITE, STORAGE: 840 EVO 120GB (OS), 1TB SAMSUNG 7200 RPM (MASS), PSU: CORSAIR RM750, DISPLAY: DUAL LG/ACER 1080p LED, COOLING: H100i, STOCK CASE FANS, ACCESS: RAZER DEATH ADDER + GOLIATH PAD, WHITE SLEEVED CABLES, UV LEDS.

Very nice idea. Looks sleek and I like the selection of the yellow theme. 

Thanks for the nice words :)

I will update you guys on how its going with this.

I'm quite stocked as well ^^

The case looks so sexy in gloss black already why the choice of matte black? (finger prints incoming)

Well yes it is certainly very nice already no question about that at all.

But I kinda like the look and feel of a really nicely done matte finish a bit more personally.

And I think the thing with finger prints you have on both.

But I believe a professional done matte powder coated finish is not much prone to get many so visible finger prints.

With the glossy finish it also becomes quite the dust magnet.

I have the case out now for 2 Days on the desk and I find myself constantly wiping off dust and finger prints alike.

And that I don't want to do. ;)

I cant wait to see the end result to this :D it's going to be good

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I cant wait to see the end result to this :D it's going to be good

Yeah I can't wait either :D

I certainly hope it's gonna be as good as everybody hopes (me included)

But you know what would make this the absolute best?

Some really nice black & yellow sleeved cables *wink-wink-nudge-nudge* :D

;)

Day 2: „You can't always get what you want...

But if you try sometimes well you might find...You get what you need“

(Reference)

So I got an mail today from the shop I ordered everything. They dont have the MSI 770 Lightning anymore. 

And it doesn't look like they will be restocking them any time soon...so my order was put on hold.

I now had to look at the alternatives. 

Which were either the MSI 770 Gaming or maybe the ASUS DirectCUII 770 

I have pondered this for a while and came to the following conclusion

I don't really care for or need the extra bit of power I get from the 770.

In my case here I really am going for looks and not so much for the last little bit of power. 

Especially with my plan for the placement of the graphic card. (more on this later)

The system will be used as a graphic designer workstation and I think for that matter the i7 4770K and the 16 GB of RAM will do the job just fine.

So I opted for the step down on the MSI ladder. I will be getting the MSI GTX760 HAWK Edition.

The 760 HAWK will provide me with just the right looks to match the MSI Mpower while also delivering not so bad performance as well.

Keep in mind that this is no gaming rig. So the graphic card won't have to deal with the most intensive AAA games.

But now the waiting for the parts begins. I cant wait to put this thing together and see how it looks.

And now on a more constructive Note. 

I've had an idea for the 90-degree mount of the graphic card in front of the window and I made a prototype out of paper to illustrate.

p1160212hrbuf.png

Meet the GTX 760 HAWK Paper-Edition (1) (it is super light, absolute silent and produces no heat at all)

The rear part of the case were these two water-cooling holes are is perfect place for mounting (2)

To secure the card on the bottom I will put a piece of metal down there. (3) Since this part of the case has 2 bit strengthening bits punched into the case just with the right space to get the 760 between them and put the bottom of the PCI bracket between the case and the metal piece.

The top parts of the PCI bracket will come outside and be secured by an angled piece of metal were they can be screwed in. (4)

The rest of this will be cut out to make room for the connectors obviously  :) (5)

Then I just get a PCI extension in black cut a piece of tube to hide the connectors and *boom*

90 degree mount of a GTX 760 Hawk in a Phantom 530 done ^^

Some wider shots for the big picture ;)

p11602080qbrf.jpg

p1160209q9lcp.jpg

I hope I managed to illustrate my idea so you guys see what I wanna do.

What do you think? Will this work? Any tips to make it better?

Excellent, can't wait to see the finished results.

Should've used black/yellow paper for added oomph. Heh

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

This is cool idea, don't really see it ever, I look forward to seeing how it works out :)

Desktop: Fractel Design R5 - i5 4670K @ stock - Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 - 16GB @ 1600MHz - Asus GTX 970 - Corsair RM650 - OCZ Vector 150 240GB - WD Blue 500GB - Noctua NH-D15

Peripherals & OS: KBC Poker 2 MX Blue - Zowie FK2 - Audio-technica ATH-M50s - Audioengine D1- Windows 10 Pro Monitor: Asus PA248Q 1920x1200

Excellent, can't wait to see the finished results.

Should've used black/yellow paper for added oomph. Heh

Haha yeah good point ;)

Sad thing is you can't watercool it at all....it just gets soggy :D

This is cool idea, don't really see it ever, I look forward to seeing how it works out :)

Thanks, yeah I dont know why nobody really has thought of this tho. 

For me it was kinda obvious to think of this placement.

The card has some nice design up front and I have a big window.

So it was the most logical solution how I plan it now.

And now that I have a plan how to mount it ...it doesn't seem so difficult to pull off.

Lets see how its gonna work out.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Did you buy that stuff from caseking :D ? they always send haribo

MAIN BUILD!

Day 3: "It's so easy"

(again...reference here)

I am sorry for the bit of delay between the Updates.

I keep them coming as soon as something happens with the build.
And that is as of right now things are a bit slow...

Good news is tho: all the main components are on the way to me now and should arrive in the next few days.

Bad news: I still didn't found someone who can or will paint my case.

I just asked a few guys and company's but no real good response yet...will keep on trying tho.

Now in one of my posts I mentioned powder coating the thing.

Scratch that. Its not gonna work on the NZXT Phantom 'couse the main style elements on top and front are made of plastic and that dosn't conduct very well does it? :D

Also good news again

I had a idea for a custom acrylic motherboard tray during the weekend.

Here is a quick and dirty render I did.

mainboard_tray_concepbvj0j.jpg

And the exact layout here.

mainboard_tray_concepvcka9.jpg

Now I may have mentioned that I have some nice possibility's at my disposal because of the equipment we have at my university.

Well this is the first time that I will use one of those possibility's :)

This might be the mod with a big effect when it's finished but i only took half an hour to produce!

The process:

log_6vlqms.jpg

Here we go!

log_7vpoz4.jpg

Ah! Now it looks like a motherboard tray

The Result:

log_8z8r83.jpg

It makes quite the mess...

log_9_2zfqzu.jpg

But also stunning clean results...

log_11tmohz.jpg

and here inside the dis-assembled case for a quick test fit...it does fit ^^

Next I will be getting some black plastic wrapping to cover this with but leave the edges open.

then I will be placing LED's at the left side and the underside to illuminate the edges.
And here goes a big shoutout to @kingdorian from whom I got the Idea in my head and then explained how it worked to me.

Thanks man!

This gonna look nice I think :)

Alright lets hope I find a paint shop soon and that my parts arrive alright.

Until then lets hear from you guys. What do you think?

quick question, i thought that you said you were going to go with a 770 lighting edition

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

quick question, i thought that you said you were going to go with a 770 lighting edition

Yeah I was going to.

And I even ordered it.

But then got an mail from the shop that they didn't had it in stock anymore and it wouldn't come in soon enough.

And they but the whole order on hold because of that

So I picked a alternative but still in the black/yellow scheme and went with it.

I explained it a few post up here somewhere too :)

Its looking awesome man! And that lasercutter  :wub:  I wish I had acces to one, for my built I'll be using a fretsaw, I hope to get at least half the cleanness of your cuts.

Also how thick is the acrylic you used?

Also thanks for the shout out mate, but it really wasn't that big of a deal .

Its for sure going to look nice :D. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing the next updates.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Its looking awesome man! And that lasercutter  :wub:  I wish I had acces to one, for my built I'll be using a fretsaw, I hope to get at least half the cleanness of your cuts.

Also how thick is the acrylic you used?

Also thanks for the shout out mate, but it really wasn't that big of a deal .

Its for sure going to look nice :D. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing the next updates.

Well its actually "just" a flat milling cutter. But as we can see it does the job nicely.

I just made a CAD file for it to read, let the workshop supervisor do some few little adjustments and off it goes.

I used 5mm thick acrylic.

As for the shoutout..as I said. you gave me the Idea for it and I give credit where credit is due ;)

Oh I thought you mentioned somewhere something about a laser cutter, I forgot where tho. I might be able to make use of "just" a flat milling cutter but I think it will cost me a couple crates of beer :lol: .  I'll just use a fretsaw instead :P.

Another thing I forgot to say yesterday, the design of that mobo tray fits your design perfectly :D.

As for the shoutout, if you wouldn't have given it I wouldn't even have thought of it myself. But still thanks for it :D

Keep up the good work and keep those updates coming.

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

I will just leave this here for the moment... ;)

log_12ghza0.jpg

Full update and maybe little bit of unboxing & stuff coming later

Plan for tomorrow is to go and talk to a couple more places to finally paint the damn case so I can start building now ^^

Day 4: "It's just like Christmas"

So yesterday all the main components arrived in one big ass box.
Today I took the time to carefully unbox everything and have little gander.

Also I couldn't help myself and made a little photo session out of it. These parts a just beautiful!
So here you have a bit of new hardware pr0n
I certainly had the feeling while doing this :D

Heart of the Workhorse

Intel i7 4770K

hardware_pr0n_451jvi.jpg  hardware_pr0n_6lnksi.jpg  hardware_pr0n_5lijl8.jpg

The CPU of choice. I think it will make a nice powerful and versatile center of the Workhorse.

(yes I did wear white gloves for this..I am very careful)

The Mainboard:

MSI Z87 M-Power

hardware_pr0n_9h7jvb.jpg  hardware_pr0n_11wckwc.jpg  hardware_pr0n_8a7jq8.jpg  hardware_pr0n_1001j22.jpg  hardware_pr0n_12iljaz.jpg  hardware_pr0n_13n8kw0.jpg

Quite possibly the most bad-ass mainboard on the market right now. I absolutely love the looks of this one.

Graphicscard :

MSI GTX 760 HAWK

hardware_pr0n_17rij45.jpg  hardware_pr0n_14tsj9a.jpg  hardware_pr0n_16ntkls.jpg  hardware_pr0n_15tejl9.jpg  hardware_pr0n_18qnkq3.jpg

And the graphic card to match the mainboard. Not my first choice (should've been the MSI 770 Lightning) but still a great looking beast.

Memory:

Corsiar Vengeance Pro Series 16GB

hardware_pr0n_2rckno.jpg  hardware_pr0n_18ijlo.jpg  hardware_pr0n_3dgkhl.jpg

These gonna get a tad modded to match the color scheme.

The silver parts can easily be taken off. They are not clued just clipped on and so can be easily be painted yellow 

Powersupply: 

Corsiar RM-Series 750W
hardware_pr0n_227rkx0.jpg  hardware_pr0n_25ygjwe.jpg  hardware_pr0n_24qjkc0.jpg  hardware_pr0n_23pzkeo.jpg

This is gonna keep everything nicely powered all while producing almost no noise. Win-Win in my book

CPU cooling:

NZXT Kraken X60

hardware_pr0n_32iejgu.jpg  hardware_pr0n_34cnk8n.jpg  hardware_pr0n_33z3kr9.jpg

And this is gonna keep the CPU nice and cool while it's handling my workload.

Storage:

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

hardware_pr0n_28tqk3o.jpg  hardware_pr0n_29w4k6b.jpg  hardware_pr0n_30ccjet.jpg

hardware_pr0n_27majub.jpg  hardware_pr0n_26chjur.jpg

The top notch Samsung SSD to make the OS and the essential Programs (CS Suite) nice and snappy

and the barracuda for scratch and a bit of storage.

So yeah these are the parts. I had a lot of fun unboxing all of them and taking the pictures.

Hope you like 'em too :)

Now I can't wait to put the Workhorse together.

On Monday I have a appointment with a car service shop who may be painting the case and doing some little modifications on the metal parts.

Then I am in the last phase of the build.

Looking good mate, nice pictures :D That mpower is definitely one of the most sexy boards on the marked atm... :P  (The Mpower z97 might be a bit more sexy :P