The new 16GB DDR3 Ram Module.

CGameDev

I was doing some research on the Gigabyte F2A85XN-WiFi and the F2A88XN-WiFi. The spec on these motherboard allows these itx board to use a max of 64gb ddr3, which means the use of two 32gb un-buffered and unregistered ram. These capacities has not been invented as yet. The 16gb ddr3 module that is un-buffered and unregistered has just been manufactured by Intelligenmemory. I got in touch with both Gigabyte and Intelligent Memory and it seem like Gigabyte tech was not aware of the board specs as well as what memory I was to use to get the max ram capacity. My research goes as below: 

post-58297-0-95857800-1398718362.png

post-58297-0-97248200-1398718861.png

Question: Can 32GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 4Rx4 1.35v ECC Registered RDIMM or HP 32GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866 4Rx4 1.5v ECC Registered LRDIMM (HP PN# 708643-B21) be used on this board?

I didn't get a good reply so I spoke to intelligentmemory.com and they explain a whole lot and gave me a crash course on rams and how they are made and the technology behind them, which was kind of them. So i got back to Gigabyte tech once more.

[Question: JEDEC, the largest possible DDR3 chip has a capacity of 8 Gigabit (=1GB) and unbuffered DIMMs can only take maximum 16 Chips, which results in 16GB maximum per module. Thus, with two sockets, it can maximum be upgraded to 32GB, but impossibly to 64GB. They ask that Gigabyte could please contact george.ho@intelligentmemory.com to test samples of the VERY FIRST 16GB modules which they can see on intelligentmemory.com. Do you have any recommendations for a 32gb unbufferd/unregistered module to result in the 64gb max? 4/24/2014 3:54 AM Answer:

Dear Customer,

Any major brand memory of non ecc un-buffered ddr3 memory should be ok on this board. Please use 1866mhz or slower. You will not be able to use more than 2 modules on this board as there are only 2 slots of memory bank available. 

4/25/2014 3:08 AM

I know I wont be able to use no more than two memory module. The motherboard max memory is 64GB both for the F2A85XN-WIFI and the F2A88XN-WIFI there is no non ecc un-buffered ddr3 memory in 32GB module that exist that would give me the 64GB max ram. only ECC Registered RDIMM and ECC Registered LRDIMM. 4/24/2014 5:27 PM    

Answer:

You will need to wait for 32gb Non ecc un-bufferd memory or use another board which offers 4 memory bank instead of 2 that way you can use 4x 16gb modules.

4/26/2014 1:58 AM

With that said I got back in touch with intelligent Memory and inquire more information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using them on the gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi that specs the use of 2 x 32gb mem modules to a max of 64gb. You can view the board and confirm. So I am assuming the 16gb can work 

On Saturday, April 26, 2014, 

Hello!

Yes, these Intelligent Memory 16GB modules are unbuffered and unregistered. The first ones on the market with this capacity.
But you need to look carefully on which machine you try to use them, because most Intel based systems have a software-limitation in their BIOS which does not allow the use of any module larger than 8GB. This is a very frustrating situation. Intel is aware of it, but does not want to change it unless customers ask for it. And when Intel says "customers", they mean HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely
Dipl.-Inf. Thorsten Wronski

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

Yes, this board should be fine to take maximum two modules of 16GB to get to 32GB.  Maximum speed of the modules will be DDR3-1333.
But a 32GB module does not exist and technically can not be manufactured, so I wonder a bit why they specify the board could get to 64GB.

We are not yet sure in which way these modules will become available to customers asking for just 2 or 4 pcs. We typically sell to manufacturers who take much larger quantities.
I will approach the board maker Gigabyte, maybe they are interested to add the 16GB modules to their product line to support the dealers worldwide.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely
Dipl.-Inf. Thorsten Wronski

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this said I got back in touch with Gigabyte and got back the following respond..

Question: thank you. I am also looking forward to test the 16gb module from intelligentmemory.com . they said the its un-buffered and unregistered ram. will the bios allow that magnitude of memory? this was the respones from their agent when i ask. "Yes, these Intelligent Memory 16GB modules are unbuffered and unregistered. The first ones on the market with this capacity. But you need to look carefully on which machine you try to use them, because most Intel based systems have a software-limitation in their BIOS which does not allow the use of any module larger than 8GB. This is a very frustrating situation. Intel is aware of it, but does not want to change it unless customers ask for it. And when Intel says "customers", they mean HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc." 4/27/2014 4:47 PM Answer:

It should auto detect the memory by default unless you wish on tweaking the memory, as long as 64 bit OS is being used it should not be an issue utilizing the full capacity under the OS.

4/29/2014 5:10 AM

So this conclude my research for now. These are one of my many researches but I figure it may be of use to tech community so I did my first post here about it.

Even though I didnt mention, the build I am doing is

F2A88XN-WiFi

A10 APU

GTX 780

2x 1Tb SSHD

1x 250gb SSD

Silverstone Slim Blu-Ray

Silverstone Raven Z rvz01

AIO Liquid cooler for APU

I didn't read past the blue, please don't use a color like that, make it green or something

Fire brick red is legible on both dark and light themes IMO.

xiiijamaican Good post for your first one. :D I like all the research you did. Thanks! 

Mhmm, Massive amounts of RAM in an itty-bitty [GET THE PUN] form factor. Joy :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

wow guys, this is great news and you're bickering about color on the type?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

wow guys, this is great news and you're bickering about color on the type?

Well, it's generally because that color blue burns the eyes of any dark theme user like the blazing sun. Bickering implies arguments. Arguments imply two sides. Wrong word. 

I added what I thought of it sort of. The OP is obviously new, so we should mention it to him about his post choices so he can provide posts that everyone can enjoy without getting a headache. It's not his fault. He's new, but he needs to know these things. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

:o

That is odd. Maybe they're advertising it in case 32GB DIMMs came around, but it's far too late now; the industry is pushing forward with DDR4 as the new platform for high-density consumer kits.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well, it's generally because that color blue burns the eyes of any dark theme user like the blazing sun. Bickering implies arguments. Arguments imply two sides. Wrong word. 

I added what I thought of it sort of. The OP is obviously new, so we should mention it to him about his post choices so he can provide posts that everyone can enjoy without getting a headache. It's not his fault. He's new, but he needs to know these things. 

The default theme is white, I see no reason to accommodate people using darker themes until it becomes the default one. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

The default theme is white, I see no reason to accommodate people using darker themes until it becomes the default one. 

It's officially supported by the forum. Default or not, a lot of people use the dark theme. :| 

† Christian Member †

I would argue that dark theme users shouldn't necessarily have to accomodate people using custom font colours when the default one is legible on all themes.

Youre going way off topic guys. Get it somewhere else.

To the op. Great post, not really relevant to me, but one suggestion. You're getting a gpu. A beefy one. Then why use an apu? Get a 760k as its the same cpu but lacks the gpu part.

My second question. Why would you need 64gb of ram in an underpowered amd system? If its for editing, your priorities are wrong. Get a 4770k or higher. If its for anything else, i guarantee that you will run out of cpu power before running out of memory. :)

Also, the 780 will be bottlenecked by the apu/760k

Just my 2c.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

peeps on this form are very abrupt...

Good post, nice to see some people actually putting work into their posts.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I would argue that dark theme users shouldn't necessarily have to accomodate people using custom font colours when the default one is legible on all themes.

You certainly are welcome to make said argument. If I was to find hard to read fonts for the white team I would 1) Not read it or 2) Take less than 3 seconds to highlight it and make it legible. 

What is not an option for me however, it's telling you "I can't read that stuff in the white theme!" For once, because I don't think I'm entitled to everyone to adapt to my choice of theme but mainly, because such stuff seems ridiculously absurd to discuss or point out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

guys just think. one day 1TB DIMMS will be "nothing" just like 1 GB DIMMS are today. and we will have Petabyte Storage drives xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

:o

That is odd. Maybe they're advertising it in case 32GB DIMMs came around, but it's far too late now; the industry is pushing forward with DDR4 as the new platform for high-density consumer kits.

It wouldn't be the first time some mobo lists RAM capabilities that you can't buy till later in the year or the next year.

Now @xiiijamaican what are you going to do or use those 64GB's of RAM for if they do make them? Considering the form factor it seems odd to have that much RAM on that mobo.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

To the op. Great post, not really relevant to me, but one suggestion. You're getting a gpu. A beefy one. Then why use an apu? Get a 760k as its the same cpu but lacks the gpu part.

My second question. Why would you need 64gb of ram in an underpowered amd system? If its for editing, your priorities are wrong. Get a 4770k or higher. If its for anything else, i guarantee that you will run out of cpu power before running out of memory. :)

Just my 2c.

You are only thinking of this in a "gaming/workstation" capacity.

Storage server bro. It's all about the storage server. Specifically ZFS and Linux/FreeNAS. ZFS loves RAM like a gaming enthusiast loves cores on his GPU. And ECC is preferred almost to the point that it is required (almost). 

More options for server storage is awesome.

You certainly are welcome to make said argument. If I was to find hard to read fonts for the white team I would 1) Not read it or 2) Take less than 3 seconds to highlight it and make it legible. 

What is not an option for me however, it's telling you "I can't read that stuff in the white theme!" For once, because I don't think I'm entitled to everyone to adapt to my choice of theme but mainly, because such stuff seems ridiculously absurd to discuss or point out.

If you only knew how much highlighting we'd have to do, you'd realize how fast that 3 seconds adds up. Not to mention that long posts correlate with custom font choices (i.e. more to highlight). 

No where did anyone say they were entitled to anything. The first person to mention it asked with a please and I gave an example of a color that is legible (without pain) on both themes. And OP accommodated accordingly. I find that just fine as it speaks about what kind of community we have (a well mannered one).

So I don't know where you are getting "entitled" from, or why you feel the need to make more of this than it is. We asked, he listened. Now let's go about our day.

† Christian Member †

New AMD motherboards can use unregistered ECC memory, so if there will be 32gb model released it should support it.

This is super old amd has been advertising 64gb support on there boards for years!

If you only knew how much highlighting we'd have to do, you'd realize how fast that 3 seconds adds up.

Are you seriously using Linus Tech Tips forums and you don't know about CTRL+A?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You are only thinking of this in a "gaming/workstation" capacity.

Storage server bro. It's all about the storage server. Specifically ZFS and Linux/FreeNAS. ZFS loves RAM like a gaming enthusiast loves cores on his GPU. And ECC is preferred almost to the point that it is required (almost).

More options for server storage is awesome.

Then why does he need a gtx780 in that server?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

It wouldn't be the first time some mobo lists RAM capabilities that you can't buy till later in the year or the next year.

Now @xiiijamaican what are you going to do or use those 64GB's of RAM for if they do make them? Considering the form factor it seems odd to have that much RAM on that mobo.

My plan was to make an overkill itx built, by maxing out the mb. 

Just my 2c.

My aim is to build a an itx overkill machine. I may consider the APU option you suggest but the goal is to build an itx with high end parts the benchmark it.

My aim is to build a an itx overkill machine. I may consider the APU option you suggest but the goal is to build an itx with high end parts the benchmark it.

then why not go intel? The 760k is outperformed by a haswell i3...