Logitech G502 Proteus Core

OMG thank you for calling out the non-customizeable LED's

don't care what people say - looks matter for (most) enthusiasts after spending hundreds/thousands on the rest of our setups. details matter

I just turn it off cause its too bright when my hands arnt on it. I really wouldnt mind one bit if it wasnt there.

Well I have feedback for the video but can't be bothered with Google+ stuffisms.

It's a great video, but one thing I noticed was that the captions can be a bit confusing, especially for new/infrequent viewers who don't realise that it is actually Slick and not Linus saying those things.

The mouse looks pretty good - it would've been a high contender if I hadn't already gotten a Corsair M65 a while back. I never use the sniper button in FPS games, but it's useful for drawing and editing things.

Linus

please don't wear stripy shirts on video, cameras hate stripy shirts. 

Also, I'd buy this mouse to replace the G5. <3

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

so umm I disagree with a bunch of what Linus has said

-snip-

He missed the fact that they entirely changed how and where your ring finger rests. Besides the thumb rest that is the biggest change in its shape and ergonomics.

Might have been nice to mention that you can also program the dpi shift/sniper button to G-Shift as well since its a unique and in my eyes more useful feature.

One other thing that cant be reprogrammed in on sense is the left and right click they need to be on the mouse someplace. This does include the G-Shift layer which I find rather stupid because of where the G-Shift button is located right and left click are prime keys top remap in the layer. (think of it as a Fn key)

That implementation of hyperscroll toggle button is not new it is on the mouses predecessors the G500 and G500s and that exact implementation is on the G700 and G700s. That design/style was also on mice at least as old as the MX1100 which is one of the direct successors to the MX Revolution, the original hyper scroll mouse.

The heavy click for me is far preferred as if I want a clicky scroll where I want a nice defined click. The click mode on nearly all previous hyperscroll wheels just felt like free spin with a bit of noise and friction and not at all a defined click.

I and no one else I know that has this mouse or has use mine has had the slipping issue that Linus mentioned and I think this scroll wheel design is actually a improvement over the old smooth one with a thin strip of rubber in the middle. Yes I do think it could be improved upon some though.

Its not a replacement for the G9 or G9x, its a replacement for the G500s (also G500, G5v2, and G5). The shape alone should have given that away.

The cable on the mouse is also probably one of the best I have ever seen when it comes to braided ones. Its a nice true braid unlike the plastic you normally, maybe even sleeved not braided. I think this is why its feels a bit loose and far more flexible than say what the G500s has or just about and other tight plastic braided cable. Just give the cable a bit of slack, something I recommended for every wired mouse, and youll never notice its there. This is coming from some who primarily prefers wireless mice and was using a G602 since release until I got my hands on this mouse. I was previously using the Ouroborus, G700s, and G700 mainly. To me the cable actually reminds me a bit of a kevlar sleeved USB cable that I have.

You can key in the dpi as long as you know want to not have to worry about clicking stuff when your dpi is changing.

I might have been nice to note that you can have 3 on board profiles since the is the first mouse since like the G700 to offer more than one.

I understand that some of what I mention especially the right and left click thing is likely out of the scope of the review buts its just stuff ive found after using the mouse and trying things out and things that I know from having logitech mice over the years.

Ill see if I can get my full mini review up today that ive been compiling over the last week or so.

I bought my G502 a week ago, after using an Mx518 for the last 19 years. I agree with almost everything Linus said, with a few exceptions.

First is with the lighting. The blue led is Logitech's signature gaming color and they are trying to unify their gaming brand under that color. Not only is the led blue, but so is the edge of the thumb rest and the writing on the bottom. The big G on their two gaming mousepads are the same color blue. Their most recent G430 headset has the same blue for the ear cups, the headband and the accents on the outside. Not every single product they sell keeps that theme with the blue, but that is the direction they are moving. Just like almost all Razer products, with a few exceptions, have the signature green color or lighting. My Razer Tartarus cost just as much as my G502, yet I can't change the green lighting to any other color. So, it's really not an issue, nor should it be expected that you can change the lighting color on any device above a certain price point. If the blue lighting clashes with your system, just turn the lighting off.

Next is the weight. I thought it was heavy too at first, but by balancing the mouse with a single extra eight in front, and a week of use, the weight feels perfect. I recommended to anyone who doesn't like the weight to try and find the center of gravity for your specific grip and balance the mouse for that. It will feel much more natural that way.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

You need a slim fit shirt. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Yeah...because they work SO well

That... is awesome. thank you for a saturday morning laugh.

Bought this mouse and I love it!

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

The dress shirt makes the video seem a lot more professional.

Mouse looks amazing. Too bad I'm not a palm gripper. 

It works well for claw too.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Does this mouse have acceleration?

No, none.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

What's it like for fingertip grip people?

Kinda interested in this as well. Was thinking about getting this mouse or the miniox avior 7K

Kinda interested in this as well. Was thinking about getting this mouse or the miniox avior 7K

its a bit long, i don think the mouse would suit that grip based on how the ergonomics are laid out.

definitely buying that mouse, also too bad that the Five Four Club isn't free shipping for Canada . Not paying $25 for shipping every month :(

so umm I disagree with a bunch of what Linus has said

I dont think this is really a issue especially with the new blackwidow sionce there was near zero change from the previous version.

The fact that the 2014 Blackwidow is now using Kaihl made Razer switches (green & orange) is not a "near zero change". I don't know why you would think that given this information. They're not the only ones switching either and it's interesting to note the differences and similarities between the Kaihl switch keyboards (characteristics separate from Razer laying out their own specifications). 

Well I have feedback for the video but can't be bothered with Google+ stuffisms.

It's a great video, but one thing I noticed was that the captions can be a bit confusing, especially for new/infrequent viewers who don't realise that it is actually Slick and not Linus saying those things.

The mouse looks pretty good - it would've been a high contender if I hadn't already gotten a Corsair M65 a while back. I never use the sniper button in FPS games, but it's useful for drawing and editing things.

It's not actually Slick making the comments. It might just be that I find the style more intuitive than others but comments like those are generally from the editor/writer/some external party related to post-production. This is something that carries across over several mediums (though written articles have the luxury of not having to worry about clutter by adding extra exposition for clarity) and one I assumed people would understand without explanation. Going forward, I don't think I'll risk compromising text layout aesthetics to hand-hold the viewer and I personally enjoy other perspectives introduced in this way when I watch other videos.

The Mionix Avior 7000 is definitely fatter than the G502 (I have the Avior 7000 a foot away from me) and as such, I find it harder to grip comfortably than the G502. Aside from the excessive weight, I had no trouble finger-gripping the G502. Movement felt sluggish and insecure, however, due to the weight and the looseness of the mouse wheel (and possibly the other buttons?). When I made quick sweeps, I would find that the G502 would have a rattle akin to what you would see and hear from a soldier in movies, running around with their equipment on. This in contrast to other, simpler mice that do not have this problem (this could be a trade-off for the free-wheel mechanism and heavy construction of the parts). The Avior 7000 does not have this problem but, again, I had a hard time gripping it compared to the G502. I don't know, maybe I just couldn't get used to the shape despite being able to switch between my Abyssus, Death Adder, Spawn, and Zowie FK with ease.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

The fact that the 2014 Blackwidow is now using Kaihl made Razer switches (green & orange) is not a "near zero change". I don't know why you would think that given this information. They're not the only ones switching either and it's interesting to note the differences and similarities between the Kaihl switch keyboards (characteristics separate from Razer laying out their own specifications).

-snip-

Besides the switch was there a single change? Thats what I was taking about. The razer switches made by kaihl making them now kust off brand cherry switches since the patent had expired before I called them knock off switches. They are equivalent to blues and browns so no real change there either.

Ill comment on the G502 later when I have more time.

Just might get this instead of the Razer Ouroboros. Then again it isn't green. *sigh*

Just might get this instead of the Razer Ouroboros. Then again it isn't green. *sigh*

I don't undwestand people putting lighting color ahead of functionality and performance. I don't like green at all, but that doesn't stop me from using Razer products when they happen to be the best choice for me. There is nothing about my set up that is blue, but that didn't stop me from getting the G502, because it was an obvious best choice for me.

The Ouroboros advertises 11 buttons, but you won't be able to use them all. The side buttons on your non-thumb side will basically be useless. Also, the "thumb grip button" sounds like a mis-click disaster waiting to happen. There is nothing about the Ouroboros that, to me, makes it worth the $150 they are asking for. Yes you can go wireless with it if you want, but again, to me, that's not worth the extra $70 you will pay over the G502. Only reason I can see for someone to buy the Ouroboros is if they are left handed.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

It's not actually Slick making the comments. It might just be that I find the style more intuitive than others but comments like those are generally from the editor/writer/some external party related to post-production. This is something that carries across over several mediums (though written articles have the luxury of not having to worry about clutter by adding extra exposition for clarity) and one I assumed people would understand without explanation. Going forward, I don't think I'll risk compromising text layout aesthetics to hand-hold the viewer and I personally enjoy other perspectives introduced in this way when I watch other videos.

Ah sorry, I haven't had much time to watch many LTT videos recently and I assumed that Slick was still doing editing sometimes (maybe he does).

Besides the switch was there a single change? Thats what I was taking about. The razer switches made by kaihl making them now kust off brand cherry switches since the patent had expired before I called them knock off switches. They are equivalent to blues and browns so no real change there either. Ill comment on the G502 later when I have more time.

Even between keyboards, switches feel different (from manufacturer, model, etc.), so to dismiss "a single change" as if it were insignificant is silly. Hell, I have a Majestouch Ninja (Blue), Quickfire TK (Blue), along with the 2014 BW right now and I can tell you that each one feels different. I've also used another Kaihl based keyboard and that, again, is different. I've also used and owned the 2013 Blackwidow with Cherry Blues. They are definitely not the same. I also know that the characteristics of Kaihl and Cherry change differently with use (after a couple of thousand presses). Regarding the feel after longer use, I haven't felt this yet but I've seen factory reports.

Not even counting fundamental flaws in a few feature implementations (seems like something firmware/software could fix), the Ouroboros definitely does not have a sensor that can compete with the G502. I do like the fit of the Ouroboros though. Just wish so many things about it weren't so janky.

Is the mouse wheel that big of a draw back? Just wondering because of the "slippery" wheel.

Is the mouse wheel that big of a draw back? Just wondering because of the "slippery" wheel.

I didn't find it slippery but I did find the mouse wheel to make the mouse shudder every click. It just seems like the mouse wheel is over-built. I do hear that it gets better with use though (based on other Logitech mice that had such problems).

How is it in terms of size? I have really long fingers and medium sized hands and my CM Storm Sentential Advance II fits me perfectly and i'm soon looking for a replacement for that. I use a palm grip too.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

I didn't find it slippery but I did find the mouse wheel to make the mouse shudder every click. It just seems like the mouse wheel is over-built. I do hear that it gets better with use though (based on other Logitech mice that had such problems).

I bought my 502 about a week before Linus posted his review, and using the mouse wheel is much more natural after a little bit of use. I have no issues with it now.