Have you ever wasted money on useless future proofing?

I actually was going to do the same thing as you before I was talked out of it by a guy at a local PC shop. I am very glad he did considering what I had in mind. I was going to blow most of my budget on a Sabertooth, CPU, and just run with an i5, 4GB RAM, GT 640, and a bunch of other terrible terrible stuff. Luckily I changed before I got my mind too set on that stuff.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Future proofing... not really, actually. Got an i5 for my NAS, but I use it for LANs sometimes too. Now as to money spent on colors... Got the RM650 because it matched my mobo. Got the Z87I because I really liked gold and I wanted more than 4 SATAs (only using four). Got the H100i for the NAS because it has pretty lights.

Got the 250D because no one can ever resist that brushed aluminum. ;)

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Well, I have a big case (NZXT Phantom) and I don't really use the extra space. (Single short GPU, 1 HDD, 120mm AIO, etc.) I guess I can't really count it since it was a present but one day I hope to have enough money to fill this case. (I don't plan on replacing it anytime for years.)

My phantom 630 also looks kinda bare. Hopefully that second 780 will help when it arrives. I really don't even need it until I buy some non existent 1440p ips gsync monitors though xD

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Not really. I have the much rarer problem of buying top of the line stuff and then it not being enough for what I want to do quite soon own the track. I get fed up with the amount of times I'm on my personal PC and I want to do something new but can't because my hardware is inferior - and by consumer/gaming standards I have a very good, if dated, rig.

Well... I just ordered my fifth mechanical keyboard... I do have one at work and one for each PC at home so its just one laying around doing nothing atm... I guess soon to be two. I do however still switch them around a bit when I feel like using something else so it's not a complete waste I guess. I felt it was worth mentioning though.

Also I got a second kit of RAM so a Total of 16Gb instead of 8Gb just because I wanted to fill all the slots for looks. No big deal but I don't really need more than 8Gb.

I'm sure its more but nothing really pricey. A couple of fans I never used or something.

Why would you listen to me? I'm just some random guy on the internet!