Have you ever wasted money on useless future proofing?

Personally I put together my first rig with the total intention of adding a ton of crap later down the road.

I bought a huge roomy case-$$$-and barely filled it with the minimum.

(Oh and I went with the n00b move and made it look like a green freakin space tank from outer space. Yep...$$$-Now Fractal Design is looking pretty sweet)

I bought a fancy 990fx mobo for overclocking and SLI-$$$-I am still using my fx6300 with a stock cooler and 1 GPU

I bought my GTX 760 with 4GBs of memory for higher resolutions-$$$-still using 1080p, turns out (good)1440p is expensive as balls

Worst of all I'm now thinking of trashing 90% of my build just to make a small Intel Mini ITX system. My drives and GPU would be the only thing spared. 

Anyone else do this before? Please share any fun, albeit shameful, stories of purchase histories or mess ups.  :P

dont use those words you cant future proof anything...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I chose my parts with the intention of adding another 780 later and getting triple monitors. Both of which, I did, but now I just never play anything with triple monitors.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

The 760 can't even use all 4 GB anyway as the bus is too small.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

The 760 can't even use all 4 GB anyway as the bus is too small.

Yes I realized this, I still find it useful to have more headroom than 2Gb.

dont use those words you cant future proof anything...

Just starting a discussion, not looking to get horribly technical here. 

Theres no such thing as "future proofing". Technology only improves everyday. So, you can only make upgrades in the future to compensate for new technology. (I hope that sounds right :D)

But still, if a GTX 760 can't use 4GB then the extra headroom is surly useless?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

It can use like 3 GB so it's not a complete waste.

But still, if a GTX 760 can't use 4GB then the extra headroom is surly useless?

YA, I got it! Yes, not the best purchase of my life. Thats why this topic is here! 

From an attempt at a fun discussion to video ram arguments, good ol' linus community. 

Yupp :(

From an attempt at a fun discussion to video ram arguments, good ol' linus community. 

I'm not one to argue, I just leave threads if one starts.

Yeah, I did but it sounds like you really have money issues... not really making stupid movies... just get a 8350 and a decent water cooler another 760 and bam... you have a high endish build

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

While my son has a 990FX board and one GTX 760 and my pc has similar with the plan to SLI I don't see the future proofing I did as wasteful cuz I didn't pay anything really more than I was going to spend anyway. I honestly can say I don't think I have ever wasted a dime in the manner you speak of OP.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Yeah, I did but it sounds like you really have money issues... not really making stupid movies... just get a 8350 and a decent water cooler another 760 and bam... you have a high endish build

But then my brain goes....but but ITX...current trends...portability...Kill my console!

Oh ya I'm the worst with excess money. Doesn't last long in my pocket. Probably shouldnt have started making a PC..

I thought I spent useless money on "future proofing" once. I bought 6Gb or RAM when the standard was around 2Gb. By the time I retired that PC, 4GB became minimum and 8Gb was becoming standard. Turns out it was a good decision as I kept that PC for a while. :)

While my son has a 990FX board and one GTX 760 and my pc has similar with the plan to SLI I don't see the future proofing I did as wasteful cuz I didn't pay anything really more than I was going to spend anyway. I honestly can say I don't think I have ever wasted a dime in the manner you speak of OP.

I could have gone with a low end motherboard to match my fairly low end CPU, not to mention my damn stock cooler. Mobos that just do the job are a good little bit cheaper than higher end stuff. 

And I don't know your setup but as I said with mine, random little wastes of money can add up. 

As for you not wasting a dime...*slow clap* I commend you sir.

Nope, could never afford anything higher end than what I currently have

Sorry buddy, thats probably the best situation though to be perfectly honest. No wasted $$$

But then my brain goes....but but ITX...current trends...portability...Kill my console!

Oh ya I'm the worst with excess money. Doesn't last long in my pocket. Probably shouldnt have started making a PC..

I suck with extra money too don't feel bad, what I would do is sell all your stuff and buy a mini-itx and start over. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I could have gone with a low end motherboard to match my fairly low end CPU, not to mention my damn stock cooler. Mobos that just do the job are a good little bit cheaper than higher end stuff. 

And I don't know your setup but as I said with mine, random little wastes of money can add up. 

As for you not wasting a dime...*slow clap* I commend you sir.

Well Gigabyte provides fully feature mobos cheap so it makes it easy to get loads of features at a good price and then much of the time I buy those mid range cards and get a good deal on them too. Also often buy stuff where I get rebates and get free games and sell them off so yeah what I buy doesn't end up being too bad in terms of cost.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

It can use like 3 GB so it's not a complete waste.

I feel like if a 760 was to use 3gb of vram it'd have 15 fps.. :q

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I feel like if a 760 was to use 3gb of vram it'd have 15 fps.. :q

Probably lol.