Starting On Java

WinNut

Once school lets out for the summer (end of June) I want to start learning Java. I want to know, what exactly can I do with Java? Where can it take me? 

Also, if you guys can point me to noob resources that would be awesome too.

This is the first language I am learning, so wish me luck!

(I will procrastinate on SDK installation. I know I will.)

EDIT: Once I get advanced I want to try writing a Chrome extension. How would I go about installing that into Chrome?

I would recommend learning some simple scripting languages before tackling something as complicated as Java

I would recommend learning some simple scripting languages before tackling something as complicated as Java

Such as?

Such as?

python is good for beginners and still powerful

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Actually i know people who started off learning Java then went on to learn C or python.

With that being said, Java is an object oriented programming language and can confuse you as a beginner into pulling your hair out.

It actually borrows a lot of syntax from C and C++ which is why you should learn C programming first.

People usually say learn Phyton first but imo Phyton was introduced a while after C came out, so Phyton is still a bit "higher level" though it is different wrt syntax and some logic.

(Note that using high level languages isn't a bad thing though but for a beginner it makes you lazy, doesn't give you time to appreciate the art of coding and doesn't give you time to learn debugging skills.)

Phyton is still a powerful language so it is worth learning too.

So my advice is to learn C programming first.

Just in case you still want to learn Java, here is a great place to start off: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/index.htm
and for C: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/cprogramming/index.htm

------------------------------------

~ Live Love Code ~

------------------------------------

At my Uni they teach you java first (soo u dont have to worry about memory), then C before any other languages. I agree with their approach as it teaches you how programming works, and what some of the short cuts actually do.

TLDR: Java is a great language to start with.

NB: All native android app are written in java.