looking for a portable amp-dac for an android phone

hoggydoggy
Go to solution Solved by atrash,
hoggydoggy, on 25 Apr 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

I would like to but the aspect of also being able use it while its in my pocket with the volume dial as well as being able to use it for longer due to a larger battery

Not to sound like I'm promoting it,but I actually own one and it is quite small (slightly smaller than the size of your keyboard numpad minus the '-,+,enter' keys) and the battery can easily last for 20 hours of moderate volume usage.

If you don't mind the dac part,just get the E6 as suggested by EmoRarity.

Okay the reason I am looking for a portable amp-dac is because I will be getting a fairly good pair of headphones and I would like a good amp-dac to go along with them, mainly because my motherboard onboard amp has a terrible hiss even at low volumes. The reason I'd like a portable one is because my phone (S3) also has a fairly noticeable amp hiss and sounds slightly distorted. 

Now the main part of why I made this post, I have tried a friends Fiio e18 portable amp-dac with a pair of his HD518s with both my PC and phone and it sounds quite a lot clearer through the Fiio. But I have heard a fair amount of bad things about Fiio in the past and am wondering if they are as bad as people say they are. I will be getting a pair of HD380 pros and am wondering if it is worth the money or if there are any better similar cost solutions.

Basically long story short if you couldn't be bothered reading the details, I want a portable amp dac for around the £100 mark which will work with an S3 to power a pair of HD380 pros.

Fiio is good for the price.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Does android even support DACs?

over OTG on most new devices yes

That's neat

What about Fiio E07K? It's only £70 on amazon uk

Why even that much (not that it's a bad option) E6 would be a better option.

EmoRarity, on 24 Apr 2014 - 9:44 PM, said:

Why even that much (not that it's a bad option) E6 would be a better option.

yeah and that E6 too. but he did mention something about hissing problem. He can use the E07K with the samsung otg cable and use it as a dac. It should work for any android phone. I know my Windows phone doesn't.

yeah and that E6 too. but he did mention something about hissing problem. He can use the E07K with the samsung otg cable and use it as a dac. It should work for any android phone. I know my Windows phone doesn't.

I do suppose that he wool be stuck with a full solution then. Though I do wonder if he is use front or rear I/O.

Hey OP,what headphone & motherboard are you using and have you tried pluggin in to the rear I/O?  

Hey OP,what headphone & motherboard are you using and have you tried pluggin in to the rear I/O?  

I use the back IO, its probably the amp in my motherboard due to it being like a 5 year old lenovo board,and the headphones are HD201

I would like to but the aspect of also being able use it while its in my pocket with the volume dial as well as being able to use it for longer due to a larger battery

hoggydoggy, on 25 Apr 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

Not to sound like I'm promoting it,but I actually own one and it is quite small (slightly smaller than the size of your keyboard numpad minus the '-,+,enter' keys) and the battery can easily last for 20 hours of moderate volume usage.

If you don't mind the dac part,just get the E6 as suggested by EmoRarity.