CPU fan won't turn on

Quanta

Hi I'm building a new gaming pc and the problem is that the cpu fan won't turn on. I'm using the cpu fan plug on the motherboard. 

The specs are

Intel 4770K cpu

Msi z87-g43 gaming

GeForce 760 2GB

800w power supply

Any ideas?

Is it the stock Intel heatsink?

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Maybe the motherboard (mobo fan controller) feels that the CPU does not get hot enough to turn on the fan?

Run prime 95, and see if the fan spins up

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Is the fan touching anything?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Maybe the motherboard (mobo fan controller) feels that the CPU does not get hot enough to turn on the fan?

Run prime 95, and see if the fan spins up

That is like a death sentence to your CPU without the fan working.

(Well not really it will automatically turn off after reaching a certain temperature but I really advise the OP to let it get to that point.)

That is like a death sentence to your CPU without the fan working.

(Well not really it will automatically turn off after reaching a certain temperature but I really advise the OP to let it get to that point.)

WOW good point

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

@FlamingDefibs Yes it's the stock heatsink and the fan that I got with the cpu.

@Flight1slim I didn't think of it, but I don't think so.

@tmcclelland455 No I made sure of it. 

@FlamingDefibs Yes it's the stock heatsink and the fan that I got with the cpu.

@Flight1slim I didn't think of it, I will do that thanks.

@tmcclelland455 No I made sure of it. 

Does it work in any of the other fan headers?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Does it work in any of the other fan headers?

All other fans work if i use the cpu plug, maybe the fan is bust but I think it's unlikely.

All other fans work if i use the cpu plug, maybe the fan is bust but I think it's unlikely.

Don't rule it out. It can happen. Sometimes weird things happen even after they leave the factory or the place that you bought it. This seems to happen more if you buy it online, and then something happens to it during shipping.

If you plug the CPU fan into another header, does it work?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Don't rule it out. It can happen. Sometimes weird things happen even after they leave the factory or the place that you bought it. This seems to happen more if you buy it online, and then something happens to it during shipping.

If you plug the CPU fan into another header, does it work?

No, the fan is just dead, I have tried all other plugs and directly to the PS 

Then the fan is the problem. With a 4770k, it would be worth buying a Hyper 212 EVO or other aftermarket cooler. At the very least, they would keep the CPU cool (since the stock Intel heatsink is broken), and they would let you overclock a good amount.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Then the fan is the problem. With a 4770k, it would be worth buying a Hyper 212 EVO or other aftermarket cooler. At the very least, they would keep the CPU cool (since the stock Intel heatsink is broken), and they would let you overclock a good amount.

I was just thinking if there was anything I was doing wrong but if we can agree on the fan is bust then the problem is solved. Thanks guys for the quick response.   

I know with my intel stock cooler (that i used once) the fan would stop if the temp was low enough and ramp up to full when it hit 95c.

Then I would say get something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for the time being, or just get the aftermarket cooler you like and roll with that.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler