[CPU] Aftermarket or stock cooler? (i3-4130 @ 60°C heavy load)

Balverine
Go to solution Solved by TheNinjaNextDor,

Those temps are fine, but a 212 Evo would be quieter/better.

Hi!

I just assembled my first build a few weeks ago and it works fine but today I observed how the temperatures of the CPU climbed up to 60°C during the ripping of a Bluray via an ext. optical drive.

Usually the temperatures will go up to 40-45 but never higher (30°C idle). So this incident worries me a bit.

Should I get an aftermarket cooler even if I have only a i3-4130?

Specs (don't know if they help; nothing overclocked or anything fancy):

• CPU
    Intel Haswell i3-4130 @3.5GHz
  • Motherboard
    ASRock H87 Pro4
  • RAM
    G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9
  • GPU
    Sapphire Radeon R7 260X OC 2GB GDDR5
  • Case
    Corsair Graphite 230T orange
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 2x WD Caviar Blue 1TB
  • PSU
    Seasonic S12II-620
  • Cooling
    stock cpu cooler + 6 case fans (4x 120, 2x 140)

Thanks in advance for every advice!

Run Intel Burn Test and tell us the temperatures. If it hits over 80C, shut it down right away

I would say aftermarket only cause the intel cooler can get loud and it comes with some pretty crappy thermal paste.

Those temps are fine, but a 212 Evo would be quieter/better.

How big would the improvement be? (speaking °C)

Run Intel Burn Test and tell us the temperatures. If it hits over 80C, shut it down right away

Completed the test, peak was 72°C but not constant (more like 69-70°C).

Is this still okay for a stock cooler?

How big would the improvement be? (speaking °C)

Completed the test, peak was 72°C but not constant (more like 69-70°C).

Is this still okay for a stock cooler?

Yea, 70c is pretty average for stock cooler. My 4770 used to get to like 80c when using the stock cooler :P that's why I got a 212 EVO

Yea, 70c is pretty average for stock cooler. My 4770 used to get to like 80c when using the stock cooler :P that's why I got a 212 EVO

Are the stock fans on the Evo 212 sufficient or (if I get one) should I replace them? Can I even replace them? And does it matter how I install it? (blowing air up <-> blowing air back)

Are the stock fans on the Evo 212 sufficient or (if I get one) should I replace them? Can I even replace them? And does it matter how I install it? (blowing air up <-> blowing air back)

They should be good enough for an i3. Yes, if you want it's actually quite easy to replace.

I think for LGA 1150 the air is blowing out the back of the case no matter what (I don't think you can mount it differently. )

an i3 doesn't need anything but the stock cooler, c'mon guys you know intel wouldn't package the thing with i7's if it couldn't even keep an i3 cool.

@OP if you have the money and want an inexpensive cooler that can be used for quite some time then the 212 is the way to go, but for the i3 it is absolutely unnecessary unless you live in a desert.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Would the Evo 212 be sufficient for an i5 too? (like the 4570/4670) I'm planning on upgrading my CPU in about a year or 1,5 years and don't want to buy everything new.

Would the Evo 212 be sufficient for an i5 too? (like the 4570/4670) I'm planning on upgrading my CPU in about a year or 1,5 years and don't want to buy everything new.

Yes it would. I keep my OC'd i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz cool with a 212 Evo. It can get up to 65ish C when synthetic bench testing, but says between 45-55C with real-world applications (like games).

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

60C isn't bad temp. Besides dropping temps most aftermarket coolers are more quiet than stock ones. But if sound isn't issue I wouldn't change to aftermarket one. My brother has been running with stock just fine (1st gen i5).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

60C isn't bad temp. Besides dropping temps most aftermarket coolers are more quiet than stock ones. But if sound isn't issue I wouldn't change to aftermarket one. My brother has been running with stock just fine (1st gen i5).

Right now noise level isn't an issue but it will be when my Corsair SP120 gets some power (need a dust filter and higher rubber feet for the case first since I wan't it to suck in cool air from the bottom, not dust). All my fans are running at max speed/12V, plus I'm playing with the idea of getting another SP fan and replace the second stock intake in the front that blows at the HDD cage. So right now noise level isn't a thing but it might be.

• 11 months later...

hey guys what do you think if these i3 4130 hit 72C while gaming?? 

Do you think it need some market cpu cooler?