Problem: "USB Devices Over Current Status Detected !!"

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

Is it possible to flash a new BIOS onto it if I can't access the UEFI?  When I hit the Delete key upon booting up (which would usually take me to UEFI) it immediately throws up that error message I showed up there in my first post.

And, no... I didn't register it.  I didn't realize it could help me claim the warranty one day.

yes, using the BIOS Flashback Utility: http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

PbApXu2l.png

I've removed all USB devices, drives, my graphics card, and I tried running with a single RAM stick (tried it with each one), the bug stayed the whole time.  I also removed the entire motherboard assembly out of the case and tested it on a clean non-conductive surface (the motherboard's box) still gives me that bug.  I tried F12 or Del, but I can't even get into the UEFI. 

I've resigned myself that the motherboard is probably broken, but I'm worried that it might also be the CPU or the PSU.  Replacing the board would be ~200$ (300$ counting a new copy of Windows), but replacing all of it would double that.  Also if I do have to replace everything maybe I should get a Haswell (since prices for Ivy Bridge have barely dropped).  So is it possible to get this bug if it was one of those 2 things that were broken?  Or would if fundamentally tell me something else if the CPU/PSU were the broken factor here?

EDIT:
I'm not sure why it says I have 3 keyboards... it didn't show that in the later attempts.

Case: Lancool K63,  PSU: LEPA 500W 80+ Gold,  Mobo: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP,  CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K,  Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P,  RAM: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix,  GPU: PNY GTX 670,  SSD: 128GB Crucial M4,  HDD: 2TB Western Digital Black,  OS: Windows 7 Home.

I've removed all USB devices, drives, my graphics card, and I tried running with a single RAM stick (tried it with each one), the bug stayed the whole time.  I also removed the entire motherboard assembly out of the case and tested it on a clean non-conductive surface (the motherboard's box) still gives me that bug.  I tried F12 or Del, but I can't even get into the UEFI. 

I've resigned myself that the motherboard is probably broken, but I'm worried that it might also be the CPU or the PSU.  Replacing the board would be ~200$ (300$ counting a new copy of Windows), but replacing all of it would double that.  Also if I do have to replace everything maybe I should get a Haswell (since prices for Ivy Bridge have barely dropped).  So is it possible to get this bug if it was one of those 2 things that were broken?  Or would if fundamentally tell me something else if the CPU/PSU were the broken factor here?

EDIT:

I'm not sure why it says I have 3 keyboards... it didn't show that in the later attempts.

It's the motherboard itself, I'm assuming when you took it out of the case you disconnected the front panel USB connectors. 

The Z77 Sabertooth may still be in warranty, I would go with trying to RMA before buying a new one.

Buying a new Haswell board will also require you to buy a new CPU, which would be more than actually buying a new motherboard. 

Just looked up that motherboards warranty and it is still in warranty. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I had this problem just last week.  Turned out to be my mouse causing the trouble.  Did you try booting with just a stock keyboard/mouse? (Those crappy Dell ones always do the charm ;D)

The Z77 Sabertooth may still be in warranty, I would go with trying to RMA before buying a new one.

Oh I know it's still covered under warranty, I specifically got this board because it came with a 5 year warranty (and it's only been a bit over 2 years).  But like a dumby I went and lost the receipt .. I doubt they'd honor my claim with only the shiny branding that comes on the box.   Funny thing, I think I bought it from NCIX.ca... I wonder if Linus could put in a good word for me.  lol

I had this problem just last week.  Turned out to be my mouse causing the trouble.  Did you try booting with just a stock keyboard/mouse? (Those crappy Dell ones always do the charm ;D)

As I said earlier, I unplugged all USB devices.  I stripped it down so that the only thing still plugged in was the power supply, the CPU (and cooler) and a stick of RAM.   It has to be one of those 3 things or the motherboard.

This is the board in case you guys want to see it.  

Case: Lancool K63,  PSU: LEPA 500W 80+ Gold,  Mobo: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP,  CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K,  Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P,  RAM: 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix,  GPU: PNY GTX 670,  SSD: 128GB Crucial M4,  HDD: 2TB Western Digital Black,  OS: Windows 7 Home.

One (or more) of the USB ports are shorting themselves out.

Since there doesn't appear to be any physical damage to the USB ports in your video I would RMA it.

I would RMA it.

Is it possible to RMA something without the receipt?  I ordered it from NCIX.ca, I checked my order history but they must delete them after a certain time.  It has been over 2 years since I bought it...

If you guys are certain it can't be the CPU that's borked, then I'll just find a cheap-n-functional replacement MB.  Now I'm wondering about my copy of Windows 7, I got an OEM like this:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986  I remember hearing that the licence identifies itself with the motherboard more than anything else in your PC.  So I wouldn't be able to transfer it over to a new board, right?

Is it possible to RMA something without the receipt?  I ordered it from NCIX.ca, I checked my order history but they must delete them after a certain time.  It has been over 2 years since I bought it...

If you guys are certain it can't be the CPU that's borked, then I'll just find a cheap-n-functional replacement MB.  Now I'm wondering about my copy of Windows 7, I got an OEM like this:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986  I remember hearing that the licence identifies itself with the motherboard more than anything else in your PC.  So I wouldn't be able to transfer it over to a new board, right?

my ASUS MIVE-Z had the same issue and i switched to the 2nd UEFI/BIOS and

all was good. reflashed 1st BIOS and issues was gone. later, it came back and

replaced the BIOS chip ($15 eBay) and never an issue again for 1.5yr (sold MOBO)

another would be to inspect each port to make sure the internal pins are not scared,

arced or moved to short another pin.

Sorry, for some reason I skipped over that part in your post and didn't read it. I would E-mail/Phone NCIX to see what they can do if the fix that @airdeano mentioned doesn't work.

Sorry, for some reason I skipped over that part in your post and didn't read it. I would E-mail/Phone NCIX to see what they can do if the fix that @airdeano mentioned doesn't work.

mmm, doubt NCIX.ca will be able to do anything since the time lapse or 2yrs.

you'd prolly have to deal with ASUS directly. had you registered your product yet?,

if not, do so and submit a technical support ticket.  

my ASUS MIVE-Z had the same issue and i switched to the 2nd UEFI/BIOS and

all was good. reflashed 1st BIOS and issues was gone. later, it came back and

replaced the BIOS chip ($15 eBay) and never an issue again for 1.5yr (sold MOBO)

Is it possible to flash a new BIOS onto it if I can't access the UEFI?  When I hit the Delete key upon booting up (which would usually take me to UEFI) it immediately throws up that error message I showed up there in my first post.

And, no... I didn't register it.  I didn't realize it could help me claim the warranty one day.

yes, using the BIOS Flashback Utility: http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

Okay, tried that with the latest BIOS from ASUS, still presents the over current warning.

I'm going to just go and order a new board.  I'd like to thank everyone who offered assistance.  At least I was able to establish for certain that nothing can fix it.