What exactly causing screen tearing?

Jodomcfrodo

Hey LTT,

So I'm in the process of deciding whether G-sync would make any sense to me. SO my situation is that I'm in the market for a 1440p monitor for my 780Ti. I'm in between just buying a Korean monitor or spending an extra $300-$400 on the ROG monitor with G-sync. If screen tearing is caused by a frame rate lesser than the refresh rate of the monitor then I might be interested in the ROG one because I'm not sure if my 780Ti can push BF4 ultra with reasonable AA at 60 fps but if it caused by something else then I'll just go with the Korean one. Kinda see what I'm getting at? So basically would I see a ton of tearing at 1440p inBF4 at ultra if i don't have g sync?

Thanks!

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

tearing is caused when more frames are pushed out to the monitor than the monitor can handle, such as 80 fps on a 60 hz screen can cause tearing

Higher FPS than monitor refresh rate.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

tearing is caused when more frames are pushed out to the monitor than the monitor can handle, such as 80 fps on a 60 hz screen can cause tearing

So if i lock the frames i won't get any tearing? Awesome.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

So if i lock the frames i won't get any tearing? Awesome.

A simpler way to describe it is your monitor is trying to display more frames than its capable of. So you'll have overlapping frames = tears.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Screen tearing happens when your monitor refresh cycle doesn't match up with the timing when the gpu sends the rendered image.

This can happen and below and above your monitors refresh rate.

example:

screen tearing at 45fps on a 60hz monitor

screen tearing at 80fps on a 60hz monitor

The 'tear' happens when the monitor is going to refresh itself to grab a new image, the gpu is in between rendering images and the monitor ends up seeing half of one image and half of the next.

This is why it's easier to notice tearing when moving the view left and right.

Vsync doesn't always fix this issue. it locks your fps to the same number of hz to your monitor, but what can happen is that you'll experience 'laggy' movement.

Here's a diagram to explain why it can be laggy.

nvidia_editorsday_day2_final_pagina_16.p

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review