Help pls, no idea what is wrong.

James199001

My monitor is disconecting briefly for 1-2 seconds randomly whilst gaming.

I have had this problem for the past month or so with my gtx 780, I was sure it was a graphics card problem because that is what i was told on here, so I sold my 780 as faulty on ebay and made enough money to get a new 770, after playing for 5 mins the problem happened again with the new graphics card.

I am positive it is not a graphics card problem as it had done it with the 780 and 770, it is also not overheating.

I am positive it is not a monitor problem as i have experienced the same problem with 2 different monitors.

I have tried using different pci slots.

I have already tried different cables.

I am positive it is not a loose conection, i checked all wires were in properly and the problem is still there.

Whilst i was waiting for my new graphics card to come (the 770) i used the onboard graphics of the motherboard, i had no problems.

It is only the primary monitor that disconects briefly as i have a 2 monitor setup.

it usualy happens whilst gaming but does also happen whilst on the internet, not doing anything graphicaly intensive ect..

I have the latest drivers.

pc is about 2-3 months old, I built it myself.

Nothing is overclocked.

here are the specs...

CPU: I5-4670K 

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Graphics: Gainward Phantom 770

RAM: 8GB (2X4GB) Kingston HyperX Beast @ 1600Mhz 

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 

Power supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 

Storage: 60GB Kingston SSD & 1TB Hitachi HDD 

Monitors: 27" BENQ GW2760 & 23" DGM L-2362WD 

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 

Case: NZXT Phantom 530 

What can i try to do to fix it and what is the problem most likely being caused by?

can you try different ram? or just one stick of ram at the time and run memtest.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

try another PSU, its strange what a PSU can do, also OCZ is a brand with some bad stories attached to their PSU's, worth checking :)

so borrow from someone :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

can you try different ram? or just one stick of ram at the time and run memtest.

I will try, I have a memtest 64 disk i made a while ago, how do i use it, just boot from it?

try another PSU, its strange what a PSU can do, also OCZ is a brand with some bad stories attached to their PSU's, worth checking :)

so borrow from someone :)

None of my friends have spare psu's as they dont use PC's

I will try, I have a memtest 64 disk i made a while ago, how do i use it, just boot from it?

memtest 86 i mean

Probably the power supply, even though 750W is more than enough for what you've got, that's a problem caused by the PSU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

wow... sold a 780 for a 770 without properly troubleshooting.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

wow... sold a 780 for a 770 without properly troubleshooting.

I have never had a problem with my pc before, I was told on here that it is a gpu problem so i trusted them and sold the 780.

So the 780 i sold af faulty and got £270 for when i could have gotten £350+  was not faulty lol.

just ran memtest on both sticks together, no problem, going to try them individualy now.

I have never had a problem with my pc before, I was told on here that it is a gpu problem so i trusted them and sold the 780.

So the 780 i sold af faulty and got £270 for when i could have gotten £350+  was not faulty lol.

Try not to think about it.  Also be aware that this is a forum with a lot of conflicting opinions.  Could you post a link to this original post where you asked about the problem?

In the future, try and troubleshoot in a scientific manner before jumping to rash and costly decisions.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Try not to think about it.  Also be aware that this is a forum with a lot of conflicting opinions.  Could you post a link to this original post where you asked about the problem?

In the future, try and troubleshoot in a scientific manner before jumping to rash and costly decisions.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/135984-strange-780-problem/#entry1808169

Here, I say i was going to RMA it but herd some bad stories of people whos cards wernt fixed ect, thats why i just sold it.

Also I say it is fixed by the driver rollback but it didnt.

memtest 86 i mean

yes

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

If i took it to a pc repair shop would they test it with a known working psu, or would i need to buy a new psu and then have them test it?

yes

I ran the test on bots sticks together and then individualy, it all passed, i just thought, i should probably try updating the mobo bios.

If i took it to a pc repair shop would they test it with a known working psu, or would i need to buy a new psu and then have them test it?

I don't think PSU or GPU is the problem if your PC was working fine without a GPU installed, but is encountering the same problem regardless of which GPU you have in it.  You should have posted a follow up topic or something before downgrading man...  Go to a PC repair shop and ask to test one of their video cards, anything before downgrading so massively.

Maybe some settings in your display tab are off.  Does it work fine if you have just 1 monitor plugged in? Its not displaying at more than 60Hz is it?

I don't think PSU or GPU is the problem if your PC was working fine without a GPU installed, but is encountering the same problem regardless of which GPU you have in it.  You should have posted a follow up topic or something before downgrading man...  Go to a PC repair shop and ask to test one of their video cards, anything before downgrading so massively.

Maybe some settings in your display tab are off.  Does it work fine if you have just 1 monitor plugged in? Its not displaying at more than 60Hz is it?

With 1 monitor pluged in it still has the problem, and both of my monitors are 1920x1080 60HZ

ok updated the bios, dont think it will do anything but its worth a shot.

I will come back later and tell the results.

With 1 monitor pluged in it still has the problem, and both of my monitors are 1920x1080 60HZ

Ok, but go into the Nvidia display driver, change settings around so everything is optimized and running as it should.  I'm getting a headache thinking about how you sold a 780 for a 770 and your complete lack of basic troubleshooting.  I want to help you, but as the same time, this is really frustrating me.  I understand everyone must start somewhere, but you jumped to the absolute worst solution when you could have done 10 things before going to that extreme. 

For Windows 8, go into "screen resolution" and make sure those settings are done properly.  Make sure your drivers are up to date with everything. Check every single plug, cable, connector to see that nothing is bent or out of place.  Do some research.  Google.  Find people who have similar setups and similar problems.

Ok, but go into the Nvidia display driver, change settings around so everything is optimized and running as it should.  I'm getting a headache thinking about how you sold a 780 for a 770 and your complete lack of basic troubleshooting.  I want to help you, but as the same time, this is really frustrating me.  I understand everyone must start somewhere, but you jumped to the absolute worst solution when you could have done 10 things before going to that extreme. 

For Windows 8, go into "screen resolution" and make sure those settings are done properly.  Make sure your drivers are up to date with everything. Check every single plug, cable, connector to see that nothing is bent or out of place.  Do some research.  Google.  Find people who have similar setups and similar problems.

Everything is correctly setup in the nvidia control panel to suit my monitors, resolution, refresh rate ect, my "lack of basic troubleshooting" is because i couldnt find any help on google so didnt know what to do, this is the only help i have ever asked for regarding my pc, everything else i mangaged to find solutions for except this.

I know i made a mistake by selling my 780 but theres nothing i can do about it now, besides 2 770's are better than 1 780 so i will just get another 770 in a few months.

I have checked that all plugs are making a good conection, no bent pins, only thing i havnt checked is the cpu, im sure its not that though.

I have took the graphics card out multiple times to make sure its in propperly.

All drivers are upto date.

Is there any way i can check the psu is working correctly, i have a multimeter to test it if i need to.