ssd 840evo at 72 Celcius

darkspeedy26
Go to solution Solved by darkspeedy26,

well, i just swapped the drives from place with each other, and the problem seems to be fixed. under the ssd (in its original place) there is the chipset (i guess atleast). maybe this gave more heat to the ssd than the hdd??? but whatever, temps are good, im feeling safe now, so i don't really care to much anymore. thank you guys for all the advice :)

current temps with swapped places:

IHnErQT.png

please note this ssd is in my laptop (i have a hard drive and ssd in it)

so, yesterday i was playing some battlefield3, (reading from the ssd, where my os is too)

after i closed it, i felt that the place of the ssd was hot, when my laptop decided to block in windows. after letting it cool down for a minute and rebooting i decided to download crystaldisk info and i read 54 degrees celcius.

today i was playing some starcraft2 for about 2 hours, and now i read 72 degrees celcius (after stopping the game it does decrease) edit: starcraft is not even installed on my ssd but on my other hard drive!

my cpu and gpu do get quite hot too, but they are meant to go hotter i guess

the single fan (cooling both the gpu and cpu) is spinning as hard as it can during gaming

the battery does not feel that warm

i really am not comfortable with these temps, what do you guys say/suggest?

lqLp1DF.png

Edited by darkspeedy26

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

For now, I would suggest you stop playing games. Anything above 45C is starting to get kind of bad for your SSD. Decreasing it's life faster and faster as you let it get hotter. 

Hopefully some other people know how to fix it. 

For now, I would suggest you stop playing games. Anything above 45C is starting to get kind of bad for your SSD. Decreasing it's life faster and faster as you let it get hotter.

the thing is, i am gaming on this (while not knowing its tems) since oktoberish 2013

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

the thing is, i am gaming on this (while not knowing its tems) since oktoberish 2013

Oh gosh... Well, that program says it's health is a 100%

Maybe it's just a bad temperature sensor? But you said it's hot to the touch, right? So... I think you've been a mean mean boy to your SSD :P

Waa, SSD's don't get that hot... Laptops aren't meant to cool things down, that's probably one of the hard drives transferring heat. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

What is the second drive at 46 degrees?

What is your setup?

The generic problems of a laptop. Maybe get one of those laptop cooling pads or something, though I'm not sure it would work.

Waa, SSD's don't get that hot... Laptops aren't meant to cool things down, that's probably one of the hard drives transferring heat.

Seems unlikely to be the fault of laptop restrictions, or normal heat transfer.

What is the second drive at 46 degrees?

this is the second drive (regular hard drive)

fKE5jUZ.png

edit: after waiting +- 30 minutes the other drive cooled down too

it could be... its right in the corner of my laptop, no air circulating in that area

Edited by darkspeedy26

Laptops aren't really good at removing heat from the internal case anyways. Maybe its getting warmed up by the GPU/CPU load that is occuring while playing. If there was a way to stress test the drive by itself, then we could see how hot it gets just normally without too much factors.

my old laptop had GPU near hdd and once i was playing games with it it was hitting 50c in few minutes but heat is crucial for ssd's so change the location hdd with ssd and see if that helps

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'd say feel the drive while it's reading that hot and if it's not hot to the touch then it's fine and just a dud sensor, otherwise RMA because ssd's aren't supposed to produce heat at all really.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

this is the second drive (regular hard drive)

it could be... its right in the corner of my laptop, no air circulating in that area

Possible, but seems unlikely. Quickly looking up your computer, it is designed for 2 drives, meaning regardless of air circulation, it should dissipate heat in either position. If it were a laptop issue, than a mechanical drive in that location would fail in a very short time, and this would be more than a design flaw.

There is either a problem with the drive itself, the temperature sensor, or some other problem causing heat build up from other parts of the computer.

I'd say feel the drive while it's reading that hot and if it's not hot to the touch then it's fine and just a dud sensor, otherwise RMA because ssd's aren't supposed to produce heat at all really.

Pretty much no heat. They use like 1 watt at load

-snip- If there was a way to stress test the drive by itself, then we could see how hot it gets just normally without too much factors.

-snip- otherwise RMA because ssd's aren't supposed to produce heat at all really.

so i did quickly do a performance benchmark with samsung magician

it was idling at 54celcius and after the benchmark (approx. 1 minute duration) it got to 59celcius with the folowing results:

mDYfFrt.png

Laptops aren't really good at removing heat from the internal case anyways. Maybe its getting warmed up by the GPU/CPU load that is occuring while playing. If there was a way to stress test the drive by itself, then we could see how hot it gets just normally without too much factors.

That is true, but given that this laptop designed for 2 drives, it should be able to dissipate heat or insulate accordingly. If there was a mechanical drive (produces quite a bit of heat on its own) in this location, it would fail quickly, and be more than a design flaw. If it is from heat buildup from other components, then there likely is an issue preventing normal heat dissipation and/or isolation.

Possible, but seems unlikely. Quickly looking up your computer, it is designed for 2 drives, meaning regardless of air circulation, it should dissipate heat in either position. If it were a laptop issue, than a mechanical drive in that location would fail in a very short time, and this would be more than a design flaw.

There is either a problem with the drive itself, the temperature sensor, or some other problem causing heat build up from other parts of the computer.

i fear the temperature sensor is not the problem, as i felt the outside of the case where the ssd should be was really getting to hot (i opened it before, so i know where its located)

the regular hdd is located just a tiny bit further from the cpu and gpu cores, i guess thats why the hdd is not that hot

so i did quickly do a performance benchmark with samsung magician

it was idling at 54celcius and after the benchmark (approx. 1 minute duration) it got to 59celcius with the folowing results:

Still seems hot.

Unfortunately this does not tell us if the system is causing the heat build up or if it is the drive itself.

That is true, but given that this laptop designed for 2 drives, it should be able to dissipate heat or insulate accordingly. If there was a mechanical drive (produces quite a bit of heat on its own) in this location, it would fail quickly, and be more than a design flaw. If it is from heat buildup from other components, then there likely is an issue preventing normal heat dissipation and/or isolation.

You are correct that laptops are designed for 2 drives, though I'm pretty sure laptops are not designed for intense work in long periods of time. Just because it has room for it, doesn't mean it will work in all situations. Its sort of like expecting a high end GPU (lets say R9 290X because heat) will cool just as good in a ITX case as it does in an ATX case. In fact, I don't think there are a lot of laptops that are designed for gaming anyways.

Directed to OP: What laptop do you have by the way if you don't mind? Also your CPU and GPU temps? :P

i fear the temperature sensor is not the problem, as i felt the outside of the case where the ssd should be was really getting to hot (i opened it before, so i know where its located)

the regular hdd is located just a tiny bit further from the cpu and gpu cores, i guess thats why the hdd is not that hot

Not unless the GPU and CPU are exhausting onto the drive itself.

You are correct that laptops are designed for 2 drives, though I'm pretty sure laptops are not designed for intense work in long periods of time. Just because it has room for it, doesn't mean it will work in all situations. Its sort of like expecting a high end GPU (lets say R9 290X because heat) will cool just as good in a ITX case as it does in an ATX case. In fact, I don't think there are a lot of laptops that are designed for gaming anyways.

Directed to OP: What laptop do you have by the way if you don't mind? Also your CPU and GPU temps? :P

I looked up the specs in the signature. This is beyond normal laptop heat dissipation issues, and the GPU analogy is not entirely accurately applied in this case.

The reviews show nothing about temperature build up like this under load.

-snip-

my current idle temps:

JJPXnoe.png

edit:for the guys wondering wich laptop this excactly is: (same as in signature)

"XMG A503 ADVANCED Gaming Notebook (15.6")" mobo:clevo:w355stq Full-HD(1920*1080)Non-Glare gpu: GTX765m2gb cpu:i7-4800MQ 2,70-3,70GHz6MB47W ram:2x4gb@1600MHzCrucial ssd:120gbSamsung840EVO hdd:750GB7200rpm

Edited by darkspeedy26

my current idle temps:

edit:for the guys wondering wich laptop this excactly is: (same as in signature)

"XMG A503 ADVANCED Gaming Notebook (15.6")" mobo:clevo:w355stq Full-HD(1920*1080)Non-Glare gpu: GTX765m2gb cpu:i7-4800MQ 2,70-3,70GHz6MB47W ram:2x4gb@1600MHzCrucial ssd:120gbSamsung840EVO hdd:750GB7200rpm

Probably should talk to samsung about possibly doing an rma, or to help figure out what is wrong.

Edit:

Or the system builder.

I looked up the specs in the signature. This is beyond normal laptop heat dissipation issues, and the GPU analogy is not entirely accurately applied in this case.

The reviews show nothing about temperature build up like this under load.

on xmg its website, you can configure everything in the lapop such as here: a504 (its the updated version of mine)

edit: so, was it my fault to choose the higher end ish cpu instead of lower end?

Edited by darkspeedy26

on xmg its website, you can configure everything in the lapop such as here: a504 (its the updated version of mine)

edit: so, was it my fault to choose the higher end ish cpu instead of lower end?

I don't see how.