mid 2012 macbook pro ssd question

Go to solution Solved by sirtoby,

I'm pretty sure any 2.5" drive will work

No it won't. Apple uses a proprietary ssd form factor in their retina macbooks, called "Blade".

The only company that I can think of, who makes third party Apple SSDs is OWC. Because the Blade SSDs are non standard, they cost more than mSATA SSDs, which unfortunately won't fit in apples retina macbooks.

So if you wan't more storage, you will probably have to buy the SSD from OWC or carry around an external 2.5" Drive

Hello! Just a quick question: is the mid 2012 retina display macbook pro's hard drive upgrade-able using third party ssds? I've read that they use a 6 Gb/s sata hard drive which is pretty standard but also its referred to as "blade." My cousin is looking to increase his hard drive space and I wanted to help him out a bit. A company called OWC makes ssds compatible with the his macbook pro model but they charge almost $500 for 480 gb! That's insane! For nearly the same price you could get a 1 TB msata or 2.5" ssd from a different company. Are there any other companies that make ssds compatible with the mid 2012 macbook pro retina that is available for purchase in the United States?

I'm mainly a pc guy and havent really messed with apple products before so I'm a little lost lol. I look forward to your guidance!

No it won't. Apple uses a proprietary ssd form factor in their retina macbooks, called "Blade".

The only company that I can think of, who makes third party Apple SSDs is OWC. Because the Blade SSDs are non standard, they cost more than mSATA SSDs, which unfortunately won't fit in apples retina macbooks.

So if you wan't more storage, you will probably have to buy the SSD from OWC or carry around an external 2.5" Drive

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

positive, changed my HDD to some random SSD back then, worked completely fine.

/edit: True, Retina MBPs are a different story but they came out 2013 if i'm right, so 2012 MBPs will be unaffected by it

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

positive, changed my HDD to some random SSD back then, worked completely fine.

seek37 has a RETINA macbook. they never used 2.5" drives in them.

EDIT: okay not him himself, but his cousin

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Are you sure that is the case for the mid 2012 one?

2012 there were no retina MBPs as i remember

/edit: ignore me, end 2012 there was a retina model. Retina models are hard to upgrade. The SSD is the only thing that's exchangeable and just by certified Apple Hardware. They were released in 2013 in Germany, my fault on thinking locally

My builds:

I edited my post,I am stupid! The 15' model was available around summer, i got the 13 inch model (available in the shop since around Christmas) and i got it early 2013 back then after ordering it directly when it became available in Germany. the 15' was available around summer. Aside from finding a suitable drive if you got it changed there were some problems with the recovery partition that was on the basic drive if i remember correctly. In case you got a Protection Plan, just phone the Apple hotline, they lead you step by step even if it takes hours. If you don't, PM me, i got a solution for that as well.

My builds:

ah well that sucks then. Thanks for the help guys! I guess there's no one other than owc and their outrageous pricing lol.