Why does everyone complain about their internet?

MellowCream

How are you using 250GB a month? Thats either a huge amount of twitch or you re downloading part of your steam library every month. 

Netflix and Youtube mostly. We've only gone over once or twice.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

And here we have New Zealand ISPs where a good chunk of them offer unlimited plans. Price is average but it's a move in the right direction.

I mostly see people complain about their internet speeds when using wifi.  Then I optimize it (I love Channel 11..) and explain that it's due to there being a lot of wifi networks around, for the most part.  If you're getting poor hardwired speeds, that's another issue entirely, and you need to call your ISP about it since that's a sign of signal irregularities (problems on the line due to physical cable damage or a bad signal from the closest node), packet loss (5% packet loss can lead to 40% speed reduction, no joke), or a general modem failure (very rare).

I complain about my upload speed, which happens to be 0.80 megabits per second. The most frustrating part is that it takes hours to upload a 16-minute YouTube video at 720p. But I am super-impressed with my down speed, which peaks at 16 mbps at about 8pm at night. Steam games don't take that long to download for me.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I got 12 meg and its really nice, my only complaint is getting 250GB a month for christ sakes, Un freaking real this whole bandwidth cap BS.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Most people complain when there is another person in the house sharing Game of Thrones to the universe while you are trying to snipe in BF4. Not a big deal.

It is annoying however when your 60mb fibre sits at a slow 10mb over a public holiday and when you call to report a fault they say turn it off and on again. Not what I pay for... Though for the most part its great and better than the not even 56k dial up I had 5 years ago :D

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

A few reasons:

1. Bandwith Caps

2. Price

3. The fact that most ISPs want to sell you TV services and other BS so they intentionally throttle your connection on particular services until you give in and pay them.

4. You almost never get what you pay for.  Even if what you are getting is satisfactory for your uses, you are paying for more therefore you should get that.  Switch to a better ISP? lawl nope.

TL;DR AT&T posts $17.9B in revenue for 1 quarter... they can afford to pass some $$ savings on to us or at least give us what we are paying for.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I've got unlimited bandwith with 120/10 :-P

yep!!  same here and it's great!  ;)

Those people just do it to show of their speeds, people who are complaining about 2MBS down and 0.5MBS up have acctualy someting to complain about because gaming is then hardly possible and watching youtube in 360P is not fun at all.

something like this, I hate it, I hate my ISP...

i thought everybody in the netherlands that is a pc enthousiast had atleast 10 mb down

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Those people just do it to show of their speeds, people who are complaining about 2MBS down and 0.5MBS up have acctualy someting to complain about because gaming is then hardly possible and watching youtube in 360P is not fun at all.

something like this, I hate it, I hate my ISP...

f1ght43v3r: have you considered switching ISP's? I live in The Netherlands as well and there's some good packages available! 

Because it's a way for some Europeans to be smug and rub their better internet connections in other people's faces :P

True :P 3457372296.png

I really feel bad for everyone that has to deal with low speeds and bandwith caps.. Maybe it's time to fund a new ISP on kickstarter that suits our needs :)

I have a local ISP, Easton Utilities, http://www.eastonutilities.com/SitePages/default.aspx 

I get 10MBS down and 1MBS up. I can watch YouTube in 1080p, watch Netflix in 1080p, play games with 20-30 ping and host a Skype call while doing those things. 

Why do I see people complaining about a 50MBS or a 75MBS connection? 

My speeds are 5 down 1 up, so a bit slow, I can only steam 720p, but what gets me complaining about my speeds is when anyone decides its fun to stream random stupid youtube videos and my ping goes to 800ms........

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Because 4G LTE is faster than my home internet, and I get 4G LTE at home.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

f1ght43v3r: have you considered switching ISP's? I live in The Netherlands as well and there's some good packages available! 

which one do you recommend? 

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

which one do you recommend? 

Depends on where you live and how much money you're willing to spend! I would go for a fiber-optic option for sure.

My ISP is KPN, never had any problems with them!

You'll have to do some research yourself, because I don't know which plans are available where you live.

Technically have 25/5, but I get 29/6 with unlimited cap.

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Its slow...

3455474428.png

Yeah, and i don't complain with this speed:

3458000472.png

At least it does not have a data cap and it is quite reliable and stable. It is fine for youtube at 720p and web browsing.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Yeah, and i don't complain with this speed:

3458000472.png

At least it does not have a data cap and it is quite reliable and stable. It is fine for youtube at 720p and web browsing.

I don't really complain tho

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I know how you feel, I live in Syracuse too and I have TWC. The only difference is that you get better speeds than me.

Because I pay $90 a month for 10mb/s download 0.5mb/s upload. :/