Custom Air Cooling for a Laptop?

VenoMonster

Well, first off this is my first post here so really sorry about it if i have posted it to the wrong part or just asked something irrelevant.

Alright so here's the deal. I own a 2 year old Dell Inspiron N5110 with a I7 core and a GT525M.

Recently, the quality of games have been going up and so has the graphics. When playing stuff like World of Tanks, Skyrim (yes i know it's old) and other graphic intensive games, i've realised something after having installed MSI Afterburner. The temperature of the graphics card is staggeringly hot, nearly hot enough to boil water.Luckily, the graphics card itself will underclock itself if it reaches these types of temperature, preventing it from frying itself and saving my money. Another thing it that if i had just started a game up when the temperature is not hot, it would run let's say WoT on High easily with a stable 30-40fps and once it heats up. it drops down to a abysmal 15fps or even worse. 

It's really quite heartbreaking to see that this old little laptop can manage even more performance but it is limited by the amount of heat it produces and the rubbish design to cool it. I already have a cooling pad, a Cooler Master E1 and had it taken apart recently to replace the thermo paste and clean the dust. But even now as i type, it's idling at 50 degrees celsius.

So my question to you guys out there would be this, Should i do something to it? Place some custom fan to cool it down of my own or even modify it?

I do know this laptop isnt really orientated towards gaming but i would want to at least be able to squeeze every single bit of power out of it until it's time to build a rig of my own and since the warranty is long gone, i wanted to play around with it.

To the people who will just say build a rig and absolutely nothing else. You're better off not saying it at all.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

You can* custom a laptop.

*It will require some crazy modding.

I think you be better off just open the laptop and clean out the heat sink and re-apply thermal paste.

Quote me to get a reply!

well, you could make a custom underside for your laptop. make it just a bit higher and try to find some decent slim fans and mount those onto the heatsinks and re-do the thermal paste with high quality stuff.

edit: or go mental and try and liquid cool it. maybe you find some waterblocks that have similar measurements with the inside chips and make external rad/pump/res box only 2 tubes comming out of the laptop.  :)
        i know your op said aircooling but it would be cool admit it ;)

-snip-

First things first ~ any modification or "upgrade" to cool your Laptop will hinder its mobility. If you are not going to carry around your laptop; then, yes you can run it "open" i.e. with its top cover removed(bear in mind that you will not be able to use your Laptop's Mouse and Keyboard). You can expect to see 5ºC lower temperature running your Laptop like this and you can take it lower by using a modded AF120 fan to run via your Laptop USB port.

Hope it helps! :)

1) use compressed air to clean out the heatsink of all dust

2) put a laptop cooling pad (less than $20) underneath to keep it cooler

3) attach an air conditioning unit to the back

4) get a new laptop

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thank you guys! i will decide on which path to go!