microsoft office

Guest nightowl21

What do you guys think is a better option and why ? Office 365 vs Office 2013. feel free to list pro's and con's.

Office 2013, no yearly subscription (I think). That's all I can think of, since I can't really remember all of the other differences. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Office 2013, no yearly subscription (I think). That's all I can think of, since I can't really remember all of the other differences. :(

It just works, and you only have to deal with the installer.

I agree, I think you can you 365 on mobile though.

Edit: also, i can't imagine dealing with subscriptions for office. I probably would find it anoying

I agree, I think you can you 365 on mobile though

Oh, duh. Totally forgot about that.

It just works, and you only have to deal with the installer.

Very true.

I loved my trial of Office Professional Plus 2013. It was GREAT.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If only office 2013 cost less

If you have only 1 PC I would definitely go for the 7$ a month subscription or $9.99 a month if you have more than 1 pc or mac. With that being said there are some great benefits of 365 like Outlook if you use it and the ability to use it on tablet devices like iPad. 

Also I don't understand the fuss with the installer. Just because Linus didn't like it doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon for hating things that aren't worth hating. :D 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

If you have only 1 PC I would definitely go for the 7$ a month subscription or $9.99 a month if you have more than 1 pc or mac. With that being said there are some great benefits of 365 like Outlook if you use it and the ability to use it on tablet devices like iPad. 

Also I don't understand the fuss with the installer. Just because Linus didn't like it doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon for hating things that aren't worth hating. :D

their are way better options than outlook like gmail

Depends how you look at it

office home and student you only get word excel powerpoint and onenote

office 365 gets you word excel powerpoint onenote outlook publisher and access plus tablet and smartphone apps, + 27gb skydrive, 60 mins skype calling credit every month and works on up to 5 users devices

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My family bought Office365 and the version we got comes with 5 licenses (so enough for everyone in the house), and includes most of the office suite (inc. publisher, which is occasionally useful but often not included), and we worked out that it ended up costing the same to get the Office365 suite that we did for like 4 years as getting the entry level Office 2013 suite for 4 PCs (which is what we would have had to get otherwise), which has less stuff. However, if you're just getting it for 1 PC, I would probably lean towards Office 2013, especially as you can probably get cheap licenses on the internet (/r/softwareswap).

HTTP/2 203

their are way better options than outlook like gmail

You know that those aren't really same. Unless we are talking about MS Outlook mail service. But I would still use Gmail+Thunderbird.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I vote Office 2013. Only because I don't like change in those types of programs, I want to figure out how to use it and be done. I don't want to re-learn a new version in a year. If you really feel like you need the latest version of excel, then by all means, Office 365 is the way to go.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well, I vote for Office 2013. I've used it ever since it was released and never had any issues. I current;y have the Professional Plus version albeit I don't use ALL of the features. But you could use your Office 365 for mobile also.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Very interesting question, but that depends on your need. Both are different.

Office 365 - Home

-> You have: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, OneNote, Outlook and Publisher.

-> It's for 5 PC's and 5 tablets

-> 20 GB extra storage for your OneDrive account

-> 60 world minutes of calling per month for 60 countries.

-> 99$ per year

-> 70$ for students for 4 years together (so you pay once 70$ for 4 years - but it's only for 2 PC's and tablets)

Office 2013 - Home & Student

-> You have: Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote. No Outlook, or the rest.

-> 1 PC only

-> 150$

Office 2013 - Home & Business

-> You have: Word, Excel, Powerpoint OneNote, and Outlook

-> 1 PC only

-> 249$

And if you need all the software, then you are looking at 519$, and still 1 PC.

So, if you have multiple computers, and we consider that there is a new Office every 3 years. Then it's obvious that the Office 365 is the best option, as you get free upgrade to the new Office when it comes out.

However, if you only have 1 PC, then home & Student is the best deal.

BUT: If you have 2 PC's, like your laptop and desktop, then 2x Home & Student is 300$ total. Office 365 is 99$ per year... so in the life time of Office 2013, it's 3x 99$ = 297$ so the price is the same, however, 365 gives you more PC's, and more applications, including Outlook.

It seems like most of the people who don't like Office 365 just don't even understand what you get for the subscription.

I've been on Office 365 for 11 months and I can't even fathom going back to a one-time payment of a single license for a single version of productivity software.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit