Apple's 2014 Renewable Energy Initiatives (Updated with more Pics)

As Apple continues to acknowledge Earth Day, it has released a new video narrated by Apple CEO Tim Cook himself entitled “Better” describing its environmental efforts as a company. An updated microsite profiling Apple’s environmental responsibilities is available as well. While the site focuses on renewable energy and Apple’s carbon footprint, it also features a video discussing Apple’s upcoming Campus 2 building. That particular video features Steve Jobs referencing Campus 2 as “the best office building in the world.” Designer Norman Foster and Lisa Jackson, Apple’s VP of Environmental Initiatives, also speak in the video. View the video featuring Tim Cook below…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdeVaT-zZt4

Link to Apple's Revamped Environment Site: http://www.apple.com/environment/

If you don’t want to dig through and read the multiple pages in Apple’s updated report, below we’ve put together a roundup of all the numbers and initiatives Apple announced today:

-2013 Carbon Footprint: 33,800,000 metric tons of green house gas emissions.

-9 percent increase in carbon footprint for 2013 (after improving data accuracy from years prior).

-169 percent increase in the use of renewable energy at Apple corporate facilities worldwide (35% in 2010).

-In 2013, converted 73 percent energy for all facilities — 86 percent for corporate campuses, and 100 percent for data centers.

-Already 120 U.S. retail stores powered with renewable energy in 2014.

-Two 20-megawatt solar arrays, nation’s largest privately owned onsite solar installation.

-Maiden data center generates 167 million kilowatt‑hours of renewable energy onsite per year — enough to power the equivalent of 13,837 homes.

-18‑ to 20‑megawatt solar array with new photovoltaic panel planned for 2015. Will generate over 43 million kilowatt‑hours of clean, renewable energy per year.

-Apple Campus 2 will use 30 percent less energy than a typical R&D office building.

- The cost to charge the battery of an iPhone 5s once a day in the U.S. is 51¢ per year.

-Power consumption in idle with the display on is 33 percent less than the previous‑generation 11‑inch MacBook Air.

-The 11‑inch MacBook Air consumes the least total energy in its class — 0.25W when off, 0.75W in sleep, and 6.0W with the display at full brightness.

-Timer Coalescing lets a Mac use less energy by grouping operations together, reducing CPU activity up to 72 percent.

-iPhone packaging mass reduced by 26 percent from 2007 to 2013.

-Mac Pro uses 74 percent less aluminum and steel than last gen.

-30% recycled  material in aluminum iMac stand.

-30% post-consumer recycled plastic in Mac Pro speakers.

-Over 90 percent of recycled material from non-Apple products.

-421 million pounds of equipment diverted from landfills since 1994.

-Reduced the average total power consumed by Apple products by 57 percent since 2008.

-New Clean Water Program pilot to increase water reuse and recycling at 13 water‑intensive supplier sites.

-Rollout of PVC‑free cables in China across all products complete.

-Cupertino HQ energy initiates saved enough energy to power 1200 homes per year.

Here are some Graphical statistics from their website

post-39338-0-68679700-1398105422.png

post-39338-0-27410600-1398105423.png

post-39338-0-73367900-1398105425.png

post-39338-0-76577300-1398105429_thumb.p

post-39338-0-79037100-1398164367.png

All Apple's logos and the staff's shirts have turned green as a tribute to Earth Day

post-39338-0-94456300-1398164337.jpeg

Here's an Apple ad jabbing at Samsung

Wired has an interesting profile today on Lisa Jackson, former head of the Environmental Protection Agency who joined Apple in June last year to oversee environmental issues. The publication joined Jackson as she traveled to Apple’s new data center outside of Reno, Nevada, and through the interview offers some interesting insight into what Jackson is trying to accomplish at Apple. The interview with Jackson is landing just as Apple is set to celebrate Earth Day tomorrow and make some new environmental related announcements:

The next step is to extend the efforts to its retail stores…In this accounting, Apple does not include the manufacturing, transport, and use of its actual products, which accounts for 98 percent of its carbon footprint. Still, its accomplishment on facilities, particularly data centers, is significant… Apple is announcing that more than 120 of its American stores are powered solely by renewables, including flagship sites like Palo Alto, Chicago’s North Michigan Ave, and New York’s Fifth Avenue.

Also a letter has been published on Apple's Website from Lisa Jackson

progress_lisa_title.png

At Apple, we believe innovation is about making things better. This simple idea drives us to take action in the face of the very real problem of climate change. We feel the responsibility to consider everything we do in order to reduce our impact on the environment. This means using greener materials and constantly inventing new ways to conserve precious resources.

We aim to create not just the best products in the world, but the best products for the world. We have a long way to go, but we are proud of our progress. For example, every one of our data centers is powered entirely by clean sources such as solar, wind, and geothermal energy. So whenever you download a song, update an app, or ask Siri a question, the energy Apple uses is provided by nature.

Of course, the cleanest energy is the energy you never use. That’s why we’ve reduced the average total power consumed by Apple products by 57 percent since 2008. And each one of our products far exceeds the strict energy efficiency guidelines set by ENERGY STAR.

We’ve led the industry in removing many harmful toxins from our products, such as PVC, brominated flame retardants, and phthalates. And we’ve recycled more than 421 million pounds of electronic waste. In fact, every Apple Retail Store will now take back Apple products for free and recycle them responsibly. We believe we must be accountable for every Apple product at every stage of its use.

“Better” means we’re never done. We push ourselves every day to develop innovations that reduce our carbon footprint, use cleaner and safer materials, and show that what’s good for the planet can also be good for business. At Apple, we continue to put nature at the center of our business and design principles. We promise to keep you updated on our journey.

Sincerely,

Lisa Jackson

Vice President of Environmental Initiatives

Apple has been doing a great job recently in regard to environment. I hope other companies will follow Apple and lead to a better tomorrow

Edited by RedRound2

Renewable energy is a lie. The biggest lie on the planet. Energy isn't free it takes energy to release energy. Energy isn't simply made it is stored and released and doing so converts some energy into other forms of energy some useful to us and some not. When converting potential energy to useful energy heat is created. That heat is a waste. Energy will all return to it's simplest form which is heat. The universes temperature will eventually all become even. The world is nigh the world is nigh all hail the great Kuddlesworth the great knower of all.

All hail the great Heat Death. All hail all hail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Renewable energy is a lie. The biggest lie on the planet. Energy isn't free it takes energy to release energy. Energy isn't simply made it is stored and released and doing so converts some energy into other forms of energy some useful to us and some not. When converting potential energy to useful energy heat is created. That heat is a waste. Energy will all return to it's simplest form which is heat. The universes temperature will eventually all become even. The world is nigh the world is nigh all hail the great Kuddlesworth the great knower of all.

Seems like you need to learn what is Renewable Energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy

ok let's just start calling it "not as bad as fossil fuel energy" energy

you lead the revolution m8

technically speaking there are no renewable energies, but for practical purposes it is effectively renewable. 

Error: 410

If you read my other posts on this post. My quotes I am taking the piss. The name renewable energy is incredible misleading was what I was trying to accomplish. Also the Heat Death theory is incredibly romantic and is a great read. It's abit like Global Warming or Climate change. They are all very misleading names. But I guess that was the aim of the creators of said agendas. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I dont believe in global warming and all that environmental hobgob but I do like to see companies making initiative to reduce packaging waste as I hate having to unwrap tons of plastic/cardboard/paper/foam to get to my lovely product.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I dont believe in global warming and all that environmental hobgob but I do like to see companies making initiative to reduce packaging waste as I hate having to unwrap tons of plastic/cardboard/paper/foam to get to my lovely product.

Say What?

This is all well and good but a huge company with tremendously large margins like them can afford this luxuries. Might as well as their target audience (read: hipsters and other upper class citizens) are the type of people who support "green" energy and "organic" products and all other sorts of luxuries like that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If you read my other posts on this post. My quotes I am taking the piss. The name renewable energy is incredible misleading was what I was trying to accomplish. Also the Heat Death theory is incredibly romantic and is a great read. It's abit like Global Warming or Climate change. They are all very misleading names. But I guess that was the aim of the creators of said agendas. 

Renewable is not renewable sun will die in a couple billion years, I agree.

oh please man wake up it's not about believing, it's actually happening  :)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

ok let's just start calling it "not as bad as fossil fuel energy" energy

you lead the revolution m8

technically speaking there are no renewable energies, but for practical purposes it is effectively renewable. 

Actually turning coal into energy is far more efficient then capturing solar energy from the sun. The process not the emissions. There is a huge reason why we still use "fossil fuels". It's simply because take one piece of coal or a cup pf oil and try and get the same amount of energy out of the same amount of a cleaner source of energy or produce the same amount of energy in the same time frame that it takes for a conventional source of energy. It's not possible at all at the moment. Nuclear fuel is the only comparison and it's better then oil and coal but it also has it's problems.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Renewable is not renewable sun will die in a couple billion years, I agree.

oh please man wake up it's not about believing, it's actually happening  :)

I am awake. it is you who is asleep. im mean come on. algore invented global warming. he also invented the internet.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Show this Video to the FoxCon workers.

Apple that piece of sh*t company.

Actually turning coal into energy is far more efficient then capturing solar energy from the sun. The process not the emissions. There is a huge reason why we still use "fossil fuels". It's simply because take one piece of coal or a cup pf oil and try and get the same amount of energy out of the same amount of a cleaner source of energy or produce the same amount of energy in the same time frame that it takes for a conventional source of energy. It's not possible at all at the moment. Nuclear fuel is the only comparison and it's better then oil and coal but it also has it's problems.

Yes, fossil fuels are much more efficient, but the emissions produced are the main reasons fro Global Warming. You've got to atleast think about the Polar bears

Polar-Bear_solent1__996878a.jpg

renewable energy is fairly comparable, norway runs completely on hydro power so.

I am awake. it is you who is asleep. im mean come on. algore invented global warming. he also invented the internet.

http://www.mitigation2014.org/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Say What?

I also agree with him. The terms Climate Change/Global Warming are both very very misleading. If you read scientific reports from both sides of the theories you would probably come to the conclusion that one half is lying out of their arses and ignoring data in favour of other data and the other side is crushed by the bigger more noticeable half. Guess which half is which. Yea when was the last time there was a political debate on the evidence for and against the theory of Climate Change. Never. Simply put our governments are ignoring the data that says that there is no warming or any increase in climate change weather events or anything. The times when there is an increase in weather phenomenon can simply be put down to an increase in being to communicate with other people. In the past tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes and anything where not always seen by a human eye or even if they where there was no way to tell the modern world. Science is all about debate and it is always a theory. The state of the climate change theory is a cancer, the ones that disagree loose their jobs and funding over their own opinions for example. Their scientific careers are destroyed. It doesn't matter though because eventually the warming theory will be disapproved by another theory at some point it is like how the big bang theory was disproved or proved not to be true a while ago but no one cares about that now do they.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

before we sink in to this pit, you should all stop here and clearly differentiate between global warming and global climate change. 

Denying climate change is outright laughable. 

Error: 410

he also invented the internet.

No, just no. You should actually listen to what he said during the debate. Nowhere did he use the word 'invent', nor could anything he said be reasonably interpreted as "I invented the internet".

Say What?

It's his right to believe whatever he wants, regardless of how many trained experts present evidence to the contrary.

before we sink in to this pit, you should all stop here and clearly differentiate between global warming and global climate change. 

Denying climate change is outright laughable. 

Let's just avoid the topic altogether, shall we?

@RedRound2, thanks for posting this. Good on Apple for reducing waste and power consumption.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

renewable energy? lol, I have the Tesseract

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

renewable energy? lol, I have the Tesseract

pls share

Spoiler

Renewable Energy isn't free energy and nobody says that.

It just transforms energy that is around us in to electricity.

So it's basically unlimited energy(in humans eyes not literally).

Their are 4 huge windmills in front of my town and 1 isn't even spinning most of the time because it produces more energy than we can use.

It may not be unlimited but it's more energy than humanity can use.

Also this is normal for Apple.

They always tried to be green they have a hole section for that under every product on their page.

Steve Jobs was quiet a hippy so it's obvious that the company reflects that.

RTX2070OC 

The natural increase in Earth's overall temperature is an occurrence that seems to happen normally throughout Earth's history. The idea of Global Warming is just that we as humans have accelerated the natural climate change Earth under-goes.

renewable energy is fairly comparable, norway runs completely on hydro power so.

lol my work computer cant open the link. my work computer has trouble with DNS. but what ever it is, remember that Iceland volcano? from the time it began spewing ash, smoke, and what every else, in the first 48-72 hours it completely nullified any effort the entire human race made to combat global warming from the past 5 years. all I got to say is. if you think your prius is saving the planet. this planet has a mind of its own and its survived much longer and worse things than humans.

source: Geological professor from Australia

And how do you convert that energy stored in hydrogen into usable energy. You have to rune a current through it. That costs energy know doesn't it. It costs more to produce the equipment to create an efficient hydrogen power cell let alone one that can run a car. Which is why most of the cars use a hybrid system. Linus did a video on the hydrogen power cell pack. It was expensive and didn't work very well. Car hydrogen cells run differently though. Actually buying hydrogen is about the same as buying diesel for a car but to turn that hydrogen into motion takes much more money and it probably causes more damage to the environment creating a hydrogen power cell then making and running a diesel car for 10 years. The amount of rare metals an chemicals used in making a hydrogen cell is phenomenal. The emission might be just water vapour but to make an efficient power cell uses up a lot of rare metals. Platinum is one of them there are others some most likely highly toxic. It's not like batteries are safe or anything.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I also agree with him. The terms Climate Change/Global Warming are both very very misleading. If you read scientific reports from both sides of the theories you would probably come to the conclusion that one half is lying out of their arses and ignoring data in favour of other data and the other side is crushed by the bigger more noticeable half. Guess which half is which. Yea when was the last time there was a political debate on the evidence for and against the theory of Climate Change. Never. Simply put our governments are ignoring the data that says that there is no warming or any increase in climate change weather events or anything. The times when there is an increase in weather phenomenon can simply be put down to an increase in being to communicate with other people. In the past tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes and anything where not always seen by a human eye or even if they where there was no way to tell the modern world. Science is all about debate and it is always a theory. The state of the climate change theory is a cancer, the ones that disagree loose their jobs and funding over their own opinions for example. Their scientific careers are destroyed. It doesn't matter though because eventually the warming theory will be disapproved by another theory at some point it is like how the big bang theory was disproved or proved not to be true a while ago but no one cares about that now do they.

I haven't done much researches on these things, but one thing I'm sure is that greenhouse gases like CO2 and SO2 absorbs a lot of heat. It's because of these greenhouse gases that the night isn't cold. So naturally when these gases increase in our atmosphere, the world gets hotter. 

its survived much longer and worse things than humans.

With many species going extinct in the process. Since we won't be getting off this planet anytime soon, let's keep it in good condition, shall we?

if you think your prius is saving the planet.

There are plenty of other reasons to buy a high-mileage car other than "saving the planet". Going 500 miles on a single tank without spending a fortune on that tank is one that comes to mind.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking