Fiio X3 sounds like a huge bargain, or am I missing something? Newbie needs help!

@Bermuda_UT
Go to solution Solved by dizmo,

Thank you! I see..!

I'm not really happy with what my laptop can output, I actually have no clue how much it will benefit from buying a separate DAC.

They look fantastic and promising, but the maximum sampling rate is 24/96. I have library of 24/192 flac. Isn't it better to get a DAC that can support 24/192 for my library..? Or I will not notice the difference? I can notice between my pc (24/96 onboard, playing 24/192flac) and my laptop (44.1 as I recall but I might be wrong, but definitely something lower than my pc, playing the same file, same headphones)

I edited it a while ago to the e17 which has the 24/192 you're seeking :)

Just a little more money.

The Audioengine is about $70 cheaper.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to DAC/Amp..

To begin with, FiiO X3 :
- works as DAP and PC DAC

- 24/192 playback/input

- reads major lossless formats with dsd coming soon

- hardware eq

- $210 on Amazon with other accessories.

Full info here http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026016

I am looking for a PC DAC.. For x3, DAP fuctions aside, nothing at this price range has this much functionality(24/192 and hardware eq).

With limited budget (~$200), I personally couldn't find any better deal.

But before I open my wallet, I need your wise advise.

Is buying x3 for PC DAC&AMP (and take DAP function granted) worth $200?

What would you recommend instead?

Thanks in advance!

ps. I'm too scared to post this on head fi lol. Don't throw stones at me :( Cushions may be.. Or not. :P

edit. fixed the post a bit

Blog \ Twitter \

If it's not fun, why do it?

So you'd be buying an amp to go with it?
What makes you want to go with this audio player over say an iBasso?

You should know that the firmware isn't usually the greatest with these players. It won't be nearly Apple level.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Fiio X3 is great bargain, the DAC is decent and the amp is great even up to 250 ohms. But the battery is not replacable (as any other DAP), you are screwed if the battery die. Oh and firmware stability is also something to consider.

If you are not gonna use DAC as portable, you can get desktop DAC like ODAC if you can find it discounted or Fiio E17 / 18.

So you'd be buying an amp to go with it?

What makes you want to go with this audio player over say an iBasso?

You should know that the firmware isn't usually the greatest with these players. It won't be nearly Apple level.

I'm not planning to, since the product page mentions headphone impedance from 16~300 ohms..

x3 will not be enough..?

As I mentioned above, for my price range x3 had the most features. Buying a DAC&Amp in a reasonable price was my goal, x3 happened to be a DAP as well.

For the case of iBasso, the only similar DAC I could find was D7, slightly cheaper than x3. I thought having eq/DAP function was worth extra money.

firmware as in.. the UI and speed of the device? I am aware that UI is horrible, I have no clue how bad it is though :x

Blog \ Twitter \

Fiio X3 is great bargain, the DAC is decent and the amp is great even up to 250 ohms. But the battery is not replacable (as any other DAP), you are screwed if the battery die. Oh and firmware stability is also something to consider.

If you are not gonna use DAC as portable, you can get desktop DAC like ODAC if you can find it discounted or Fiio E17 / 18.

I see.. Firmware as in its UI and the speed of the device? I am aware that UI is horrible, but have no clue how bad they are :x They don't seem to be THAT bad on youtube videos

ODAC and E17/18 have 24/96 input (with USB).. Doesn't that make them less competitive than something that can handle 24/192?

I have library of 24/192 flacs and I thought dac with 96/24 input will not give the best experience.. right..?

Blog \ Twitter \

I'm not planning to, since the product page mentions headphone impedance from 16~300 ohms..

x3 will not be enough..?

As I mentioned above, for my price range x3 had the most features. Buying a DAC&Amp in a reasonable price was my goal, x3 happened to be a DAP as well.

For the case of iBasso, the only similar DAC I could find was D7, slightly cheaper than x3. I thought having eq/DAP function was worth extra money.

firmware as in.. the UI and speed of the devise? I am aware that UI is horrible, I have no clue how bad it is though :x

It'll power most headphones just fine, its just you mentioned an AMP in your op.

Are you taking it around with you? Like are you using it as a DAC only or are you looking for a DAP?

The iBasso DX50 is the one contender I'd recommend. It has a user replaceable battery, from a Samsung S3, so they're both readily available and cheap.

It also takes microSD cards up to 2tb (128gb is available), not sure what the x3 does. I know the x5 handles 128gb cards so I assume the 3 would as well.

It's a little more expensive but that replaceable battery is a very huge plus.

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=81

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It'll power most headphones just fine, its just you mentioned an AMP in your op.

Are you taking it around with you? Like are you using it as a DAC only or are you looking for a DAP?

The iBasso DX50 is the one contender I'd recommend. It has a user replaceable battery, from a Samsung S3, so they're both readily available and cheap.

It also takes microSD cards up to 2tb (128gb is available), not sure what the x3 does. I know the x5 handles 128gb cards so I assume the 3 would as well.

It's a little more expensive but that replaceable battery is a very huge plus.

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=81

Sorry for the confusion :S I mentioned amp because I thought I will, in most cases, require an amp to go along with a dac

I am not planning to take it around with me, I'm looking for a good PC DAC (and most probably I will need an amp)

DX50 looks sweet and functions great but I'm afraid it does not work as PC DAC.

*I just realized. I should have written PC DAC instead of just DAC. Sorry for the confusion, again :( Will fix immediately

*edited : forgot to type "not" 2nd line lol

Blog \ Twitter \

Sorry for the confusion :S I mentioned amp because I thought I will, in most cases, require an amp to go along with a dac

I am not planning to take it around with me, I'm looking for a good PC DAC (and most probably I will need an amp)

DX50 looks sweet and functions great but I'm afraid it does not work as PC DAC.

*I just realized. I should have written PC DAC instead of just DAC. Sorry for the confusion, again :( Will fix immediately

*edited : forgot to type "not" 2nd line lol

No worries. In your usage case, both the x3 and dx50 are essentially useless. They're DAPs first, they just have decent chips in them.

Is your onboard sound lacking in any way?

A Fiio E09k with an E17 might be a better bet for you.

The Audioengine D1 is also something I'd consider.

There's a few other options but they don't come to mind atm.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

ODAC and E17/18 have 24/96 input (with USB).. Doesn't that make them less competitive than something that can handle 24/192?

I have library of 24/192 flacs and I thought dac with 96/24 input will not give the best experience.. right..?

You literally don't need anything over 16/48. 24 bits can be useful for playing with the volume in windows (less background noise at lower volumes), but past 40khz sampling all you're getting is ultrasonic frequencies which could actually make your headphones/speakers perform WORSE. 

More details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM#t=521

Since the FiiO E10 hass gone out of production, I've recently been recommending the Syba DAC, and I even use it myself.

No worries. In your usage case, both the x3 and dx50 are essentially useless. They're DAPs first, they just have decent chips in them.

Is your onboard sound lacking in any way?

A Fiio E09k with an E07k might be a better bet for you.

Thank you! I see..!

I'm not really happy with what my laptop can output, I actually have no clue how much it will benefit from buying a separate DAC.

They look fantastic and promising, but the maximum sampling rate is 24/96. I have library of 24/192 flac. Isn't it better to get a DAC that can support 24/192 for my library..? Or I will not notice the difference? I can notice between my pc (24/96 onboard, playing 24/192flac) and my laptop (44.1 as I recall but I might be wrong, but definitely something lower than my pc, playing the same file, same headphones)

Blog \ Twitter \

Thank you! I see..!

They look fantastic and promising, but the maximum sampling rate is 24/96. I have library of 24/192 flac. Isn't it better to get a DAC that can support 24/192 for my library..? Or will I not notice the difference? I can notice between my pc (24/96 onboard, playing 24/192flac) and my laptop (44.1 as I recall but I might be wrong, but definitely something lower than my pc, playing the same file, same headphones)

Blog \ Twitter \

Thank you! I see..!

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

You are.. Amazing <3 haha

All I need to do now is to chose between Audioengine D1 and E17+E09k :) I think I can figure it out from here onwards!

Thank you so much for your help & heading me into right direction! :)

Blog \ Twitter \

I see.. Firmware as in its UI and the speed of the device? I am aware that UI is horrible, but have no clue how bad they are :x They don't seem to be THAT bad on youtube videos

Hold on. 24/192? Don't worry about those numbers. They make no difference in the listening experience. I would not go for those Fiios or the Audioengine amp. First, is there a problem with your onboard? Because if there isn't, you can spend $200 on a DAC and AMP and make no difference at all. 

Hold on. 24/192? Don't worry about those numbers. They make no difference in the listening experience. I would not go for those Fiios or the Audioengine amp. First, is there a problem with your onboard? Because if there isn't, you can spend $200 on a DAC and AMP and make no difference at all. 

Hmm.. I see, but I did feel the difference between 24/96 and something lower(mentioned more in detail above). So I thought I would feel difference between 24/192 and 24/96.. Any advice on this? :)

I'm actually pretty fine with onboard, as mentioned above, I'm looking for DAC for my laptop.

*I noticed "PC DAC" may be misleading. Im sorry for confusion. But "Laptop DAC" does sounds awkward.. Laptop is PC after all so... I'll just keep it as "PC DAC" haha..

Blog \ Twitter \

Hmm.. I see, but I did feel the difference between 24/96 and something lower(mentioned more in detail above). So I thought I would feel difference between 24/192 and 24/96.. Any advise on this? :)

I'm actually pretty fine with onboard, as mentioned above, I'm looking for DAC for my laptop.

*I noticed "PC DAC" may be misleading. Im sorry for confusion. But "Laptop DAC" does sounds awkward.. Laptop is PC after all so... I'll just keep it as "PC DAC" haha..

The human ear can't hear the difference between 24/96 and 24/192. Even head-fi agrees and they usually just tell you buy a $1000 DAC/AMP.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588478/24-96-compared-to-24-192

Is there something wrong with your laptop sound? If there isn't, there is really no reason to get a DAC or AMP unless you have a ton of money to just blow on random stuff. 

The human ear can't hear the difference between 24/96 and 24/192. Even head-fi agrees and they usually just tell you buy a $1000 DAC/AMP.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588478/24-96-compared-to-24-192

Is there something wrong with your laptop sound? If there isn't, there is really no reason to get a DAC or AMP unless you have a ton of money to just blow on random stuff. 

I see, I will take note on that. Thank you.

I'm sorry but I mentioned above, I can feel the difference between my desktop and laptop - ie. I am not happy with my laptop atm. Don't you think its annoying when you have good sound quality on your desktop, but less better on your laptop? Downgrade is significantly noticeable imo. I hope you understand and I believe "unless you have tonnes of money to blow on random stuff" was rather an unnecessary statement.

Blog \ Twitter \

I see, I will take note on that. Thank you.

I'm sorry but I mentioned above, I can feel the difference between my desktop and laptop - ie. I am not happy with my laptop atm. Don't you think its annoying when you have good sound quality on your desktop, but less better on your laptop? Downgrade is significantly noticeable imo. I hope you understand and I believe "unless you have tonnes of money to blow on random stuff" was rather an unnecessary statement.

Hm if it is not as good, you can look into getting an external solution but try an AB blind test first. Have someone else switch between the two for you and see if it's worse. If it is, the o2 amp on Massdrop is a great deal right now. The dac doesn't come with it but the amp is the more important part of the two.

Edit: And what I meant by that last statement was that if you have the money and want to spend it, go ahead.

Hm if it is not as good, you can look into getting an external solution but try an AB blind test first. Have someone else switch between the two for you and see if it's worse. If it is, the o2 amp on Massdrop is a great deal right now. The dac doesn't come with it but the amp is the more important part of the two.

Edit: And what I meant by that last statement was that if you have the money and want to spend it, go ahead.

Thank you for your advice.

Blog \ Twitter \