Does the XSPC Razor R9 290X Waterblock need a radiator?

Dear users of the forum,

So I am going to buy an r9 290x from XFX because of the helix ram but it has the stock cooler. My friend told me to get a water-cooling block as it is more efficient at cooling, so I searched and I came across the XSPC Razor R9 290X waterblock alongisde its backplate. Now my friend claims that you don't need a radiator as this an all-in-one solution, but all the rigs I've seen with water-cooled graphics cards have radiators. So I hope the browsers/users of the water-cooling section can help me out. (Btw I have a case which can support up to a 2x120mm radiator)

Thanks for the help

facepalm

yes you need a radiator, 120mm atleast preferabbly 240mm, and a pump, a reservoir, fittings, tubing, and coolant. Just get an air cooler unless you have $500 to waste and you love watercooling.

your friend is an idiot btw, stop getting advice from him.

edit: I would recommend the MSI twin frozr r9 290x or gigabyte windforce version, they are the best coolers for the r9 290x

where does your friend thinks the heat goes? Magically dissapears? lol.

Just get a decent air cooler (not the xfx) and only the non-x 290. As mentioned before, Twin Frozr, Windforce, DCU2 etc.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

the XSPC r9290/290x water block is just that a block only. you'll also need a

radiator, pump, tubing, reservoir would be nice.

you friend is so fired!

well, I guess technically your "loop" could be "bathroom tap> gpu > out the window", but I'd strongly recommend getting a radiator, a pump, and a reservoir in there.

Its a volcano... u need a rad to tame it of course