ASUS G750JZ Gaming Notebook

Salm7jU.png

Ftc9WLc.png

Sorry @LinusTech, i had to :P

After two G73JH and one G73JW the only thing I can say about these R.O.G. laptops -> Avoid them like the plague. You gonna have more fun with the plague.

why??seems pretty amazing other than a small battery, which might be annoying for normal usage. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

Wow. That is one sexy laptop piece of art.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Is it me or does the video look washed out or under-saturated?

why??seems pretty amazing other than a small battery, which might be annoying for normal usage. 

Frequent overheating [been cleaned at least 1x / week]

BSODs out of nowhere, because it can

Battery dead, like dead dead, 6 months on the minute after purchase, on all 3 laptops.

Horrible keyboard / touchpad

ASUS did not provide a single GPU update, if you'd download the ones from AMD [JH] or Nvidia [JW] it would BSOD instantly after install.

RMA actually put the wrong mobo into the JW [no more USB3], keyboard came lose [including the adhesive, without the protection sheet of course]

JW came broken out of the box, had to go to RMA for 3 months right after unpackaging at Xmas.

ASUS Smart Update did nothing but make the laptop BSOD.

So if you enjoy BSODs, heat, insane fan noise, and a shit load of hassle with RMA, go right ahead. [by now my two PC shops advise against buying ASUS Laptops / Tablets, as the RMA made too many customers go ape shit]

More reasons?

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I bought my M18x back in 2012, It still rocks every game I have in 1080p ultra and some titles in 1440p over display port nice and easy too.

I reckon I can get another 1/2 years out of this thing, which i think is pretty phenomenal for a portable system. Its battery life is decent (5-6 hours, 1-2 hours gaming) and it doesn't get hot or loud even when on my lap.  

I have always had a gaming laptop even with a high end gaming desktop around. I love having something I can take to my friends house or to a LAN and still have a competitive edge and play the game with a solid frame rate on decent settings, no compromise. 

Its heavy though, so I do have a second 11.6" gaming laptop which handles most games on medium, great for putting in my backpack to use for mobile photo and video editing, and gaming on long flights etc etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So if you enjoy BSODs, heat, insane fan noise, and a shit load of hassle with RMA, go right ahead. [by now my two PC shops advise against buying ASUS Laptops / Tablets, as the RMA made too many customers go ape shit]

More reasons?

Maybe they solved the problems on this new model, well, at least one of the problem, that is the noise you mention. There are always improvements. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

Looks like a nice laptop, but I don't think I'd want to lug around another heavy laptop again after getting a light one.

Project Refresh - [900D x 780 Ti SLI x Watercooled]

Build Log

Your desktop comparison didn't' really seem fair, if for gaming you could have gotten an i5-4670k, 8 gigs of ram and a 2gb 770 or 280x and 2 120gb 840 evo, and no one is gonna use the webcam or blu ray. And that would cost much less and pretty much match performance to the laptop. You seem like a pretty unbiased guy, but i don't really like taking your word in a review of something you are being sponsored by.

He mentioned this in last week's WAN show.. He didn't spec out the desktop with the idea of just comparing the "best price/performance desktop vs G750JZ", he chose the desktop's specs to be somewhat equivalent to what the laptop offers. IE: i7 to i7, 24 GB of RAM to 24 GB of RAM, webcam to webcam, etc, because to be perfectly honest, comparing a rig with 24 GB of RAM to a rig with 8 GB of RAM is a much more biased comparison than what he said.. You can make the argument that "you don't need 24 GB of RAM for gaming" (because that'd be completely true), but the fact of the matter is that if you happen to use a single task that uses 10+ GB of RAM, the pc with 24 GB will be infinitely better than the one with 8. 

As for the webcam and bluray, how can you possibly say that no one is going to use them? Just because you personally don't use something doesn't mean that no one else will.. Linus even says in that video that the desktop specs he chose aren't really what he'd recommend for people to buy. He chose them so that he could make a completely fair comparison between the desktop and laptop.. Cutting out features of one device to skew the price comparison like what you're suggesting is a much more biased thing to do than what Linus did.

Regardless, one benefit of desktops is that you have much more choice over the exact hardware you want.. If you can live without some of the bells and whistles that laptops come with, a dedicated gaming desktop can save you money. Linus' comparison did not contradict this idea in any way, nor was it biased..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

After two G73JH and one G73JW the only thing I can say about these R.O.G. laptops -> Avoid them like the plague. You gonna have more fun with the plague.

i Had a g75 and I had absolutely none of the problems you had. the asus g series have greatly improved since the g73, the reason why it had some many problems is that it was the first generation the radeon 5m series had a lot of problems .

please don't tell people to avoid a brand when you have only exerianced one generation.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

i Had a g75 and I had absolutely none of the problems you had. the asus g series have greatly improved since the g73, the reason why it had some many problems is that it was the first generation the radeon 5m series had a lot of problems .

please don't tell people to avoid a brand when you have only exerianced one generation.

I've had three individual laptops I took care off, in different houses. And I had both the Nvidia [JW] and the ATI [JH] version. So what I can tell you from spending almost 8000$ on three of the turds together with my brother and father, is kill them with fire. They are nothing but an annoyance. And ASUS RMA service is probably the worst I have encountered, ever, of any product or brand. I can only recommend to avoid these things. They're not worth the plastic they're made of.

I've had three individual laptops I took care off, in different houses. And I had both the Nvidia [JW] and the ATI [JH] version. So what I can tell you from spending almost 8000$ on three of the turds together with my brother and father, is kill them with fire. They are nothing but an annoyance. And ASUS RMA service is probably the worst I have encountered, ever, of any product or brand. I can only recommend to avoid these things. They're not worth the plastic they're made of.

again both were the g73, I am not trying to change your opinion but I can tell you that from my experience with the g75 compared to my freinds g73 (which did have ALOT of problems) I had absolutely no problems.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Maybe you just got the percentage of laptops that were junk to begin with? Like all consumer products do? 

I went through FOUR iPhone 4S's for battery issues before I finally got a perfectly stable one. Does that make Apple the worst shit like plague? No. 

Just means I rolled the cosmic dice and managed to land those 4 phones that were riddled with issues. 

Thats just one example. 

I had to RMA a goddamn Pioneer KURO. Yea, that behemoth of a piece of art of TV tech. RMA'ing that. Because the panel failed. Does that mean all Pioneers suck? Nope. Since that RMA, this thing has run strong for 7 years. 

Maybe you just got the percentage of laptops that were junk to begin with? Like all consumer products do? 

I went through FOUR iPhone 4S's for battery issues before I finally got a perfectly stable one. Does that make Apple the worst shit like plague? No. 

Just means I rolled the cosmic dice and managed to land those 4 phones that were riddled with issues. 

Thats just one example. 

I had to RMA a goddamn Pioneer KURO. Yea, that behemoth of a piece of art of TV tech. RMA'ing that. Because the panel failed. Does that mean all Pioneers suck? Nope. Since that RMA, this thing has run strong for 7 years. 

yeah I loved my g75, and I sold it only because I had no need for it and someone really did kind of regret it, but I know my freind is putting to good use.

Hey Linus, How long does the battery last under gaming? You said They used to suck battery under gaming. Now I'm curious.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I'm considering getting one of these when I go for a new gaming laptop. Everything about it seems really nice except for the fact that you kind of need to take it apart to clean the fans. Why, ASUS, why?! It was so close to being perfect! D:

Thats just one example. 

3 G73, from two diffrent stores, that was a hell of a coincidence to get three broken ones. Well one came broken out of the box and had to go to RMA right after upackting, so... -.- never again lawl.

3 G73, from two diffrent stores, that was a hell of a coincidence to get three broken ones. Well one came broken out of the box and had to go to RMA right after upackting, so... -.- never again lawl.

Then you too rolled the cosmic dice and got that percentage of product that every manufacturer knows they'll have to write off as a dud at one point or another. 

OK im not sure if luke will see this. But please post this post to him. And hopefull linus wont see it.

But LUkE if you are reading this please during next WAN show during the asus JZ promo have hidden a photo of jz printed off. And when linus isint looking put the photo on the laptop with a bit of tape or tack. Then linus can have another rant of the jz joke

So plz anyone send this post to luke or something because it will be hallirous if he does this and linus reaction will be epic!

On other note great laptop!!!