Neat.

I'm really interested in Cortana. Not only as a big Halo fan but also as someone who firmly believes that voice assistants have a lot of potential - and it looks like Cortana is going to be a large leap forward in delivering some of that potential.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

can't wait to upgrade my Lumia 520 to 8.1 when it comes out!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Can you explain Cortana?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Can you explain Cortana?

The new personal assistant for windows phone kinda like siri

Can you explain Cortana?

Are you familiar with Siri for iOS? It's the same basic principle, but just expanded upon much further.

Cortana is a virtual digital assistant. She accepts all manner of voice commands, for not just searching or typing text, but also for commanding your phone in various ways. She's supposed to have a very intuitive language base, so you can talk to her in normal human terms (Eg: "Cortana, can you help me find a good sushi restaurant nearby?"). She can also accept complex or multi-layered commands.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I see, thanks.

But what of the requirements for Cortana? Android? Jail broken IOS? I dunno.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Get the developer preview. I just installed it... It's just amazing. Cortana, Swype keyboard, notifications center, apps data, on the SD cards, the new background on the home screen. And A LOT of small tweak and attention to details.

I see, thanks.

But what of the requirements for Cortana? Android? Jail broken IOS? I dunno.

Cortana is the digital assistant for Windows Phone 8. It is not (And will never be) available for any other mobile OS other than Microsoft's.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Get the developer preview. I just installed it... It's just amazing. Cortana, Swype keyboard, notifications center, apps data, on the SD cards, the new background on the home screen. And A LOT of small tweak and attention to details.

What is this exactly? Cyanogenmod or something?

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this exactly? Cyanogenmod or something?

Windows Phone 8.1 with Cortana Digital Assitant.

Windows Phone 8.1 with Cortana Digital Assitant.

Mmm.. not really sure how I feel about this. Do they make any flag ship Phablets like the note 3? (in terms of power.)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mmm.. not really sure how I feel about this. Do they make any flag ship Phablets like the note 3? (in terms of power.)

For Phablets (Or phones larger than 5") the only one I'm aware of is the Nokia Lumia 1520:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426903,00.asp

It's specs are pretty stacked.

1080p IPS Screen w/ Gorilla Glass 2

1.2MP front camera

20MP rear camera with OIS, Autofocus, and dual LED flash

2.2Ghz Quad Core Snapdragon

2GB RAM

I'm not sure how it stacks up against the Note 3, as I don't know the specs, but it's pretty damn powerful in it's own right, and should be plenty fast for anything you'd do on a mobile device.

For Phablets (Or phones larger than 5") the only one I'm aware of is the Nokia Lumia 1520:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426903,00.asp

It's specs are pretty stacked.

1080p IPS Screen w/ Gorilla Glass 2

1.2MP front camera

20MP rear camera with OIS, Autofocus, and dual LED flash

2.2Ghz Quad Core Snapdragon

2GB RAM

I'm not sure how it stacks up against the Note 3, as I don't know the specs, but it's pretty damn powerful in it's own right, and should be plenty fast for anything you'd do on a mobile device.

Also because of the absurd optimization, it just feels faster and snappier. 

Its a common story for almost all WP8 devices. They just...work. Everything is dialed in, the hardware variances are moot and the OS is so optimized for the hardware it runs on. 

Guess what else can open web pages. I  can you lazy sh*ts.  :)

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

But can it open it in Chrome? Ie doesn't interest me

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

But can it open it in Chrome? Ie doesn't interest me

No, of course not but you can install other Browsers if you don't want to use IE on windows phone.

I really like Cortanas voice but I don't use my siri and therefore wouldn't use cortana either

144Hz goodness

This is pretty cool. Wanting to get Cortona on my HTC 8S but having difficulties in switching it to English (US) because I think my phone is the Canada version.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

this digital assistants are getting good but even if its mainstream ill never talk to a device unless is a person on the other side

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

this digital assistants are getting good but even if its mainstream ill never talk to a device unless is a person on the other side

Why do you say that? What is stopping you from interacting audibly with your device? FYI there's never going to be an actual person on the other end of a digital assistant lol (I'll assume you were referring to strictly phone calls).

its much more than siri, more like siri and google now had a illegitimate child and she is a genius. 

but man how much battery life hater is Cortana....

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

renz62, on 21 Apr 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

Download the developer preview. there's a tutorial for it on WPCentral. I have it on my L620 since the day it was available.

mgsstar, on 22 Apr 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

This is pretty cool. Wanting to get Cortona on my HTC 8S but having difficulties in switching it to English (US) because I think my phone is the Canada version.

Can't you just change it in the setting? Afaik you will only lose on the local search if you change the region to US.

TheCMan, on 21 Apr 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

May I add that unlike Siri, everything is actually being processed and saved on your phone,meaning you can still use Cortana offline,provided you are not searching anything on the internet.

Man WP8.1 really flies on my lowly spec L620. Both my lil sisters are a bit envious of me as I have a cheap phone that is just as fast as their S4 and iPhone 5S