Why are there no DDR flash drives?

Anthony10

Why don't they make real expensive fast DDR based flash drives? Is it because USB 3.0 limits how fast the flash drive can be?

no one would buy them

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

With such small file sizes due to the limits of ddr capacity why would that kind of speed be necessary?

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

Also, DDR is volatile. Would make a pretty shitty flash drive

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

First off: DDR memory is volatile and that means that when the power turns off it deletes itself. Second: It would be VERY expensive.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

DDR requires power to retain data. This is why RAM is cleared when you power your system down.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Its pointless to have ddr flash drives, if flash is already fast enough to utilitize the full usb3 bandwidth.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Thank you, and there's others as well, add a battery pack and hey it saves across reboots/power down's. Then like AMD's Radeon RAMDisk you can have it save to a drive if you are that paranoid about the battery dieing. Costly, yes, but freaking fast, much like a Ferrari if you need to go that fast you're going to pay for it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Why don't they make real expensive fast DDR based flash drives? Is it because USB 3.0 limits how fast the flash drive can be?

They do, they are NVRAM board that attach to PCI-e and supply constant power to RAM modules you plug in the board.

http://www.agigatech.com/agigaram.php

http://www.marvell.com/storage/dragonfly/nvram/

I guess some people in this thread never heard of batteries.

what stays the same is that:

1. Flash and DDR are different technologies, talking about Flash DDR is like talking about SSDs with a spindle. 

2. USB stick with a battery, having to charge it every now and then, it still makes it impossible to sell it.

It's just 2 different technologies, they differ drastically in the way they are built

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

what stays the same is that:

1. Flash and DDR are different technologies, talking about Flash DDR is like talking about SSDs with a spindle. 

2. USB stick with a battery, having to charge it every now and then, it still makes it impossible to sell it.

It's just 2 different technologies, they differ drastically in the way they are built

1) That is quite possibly the worst analogy I've ever seen.

2) What if I told you USB can provide power and charge devices?

I remember Gigabyte made an attempt on making use of RAM as storage

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2180#ov

its really old since it make use of the PCI bus for data transfer and power

it has a small battery to hold the charge when the system is off and the battery will be charged when the system is power on

but at that time DDR1 RAM was really expensive and only supports up to 1GB per slot so you get only 4GB of space

for the first post, maybe not possible with current battery technology

until we have a way to pack a battery that is small and light to fit into the thumb drive size casing which can last at least for a month without the need the recharge

the closest we can get is a SSD based external drive

like the AData DashDrive Elite SE720 128GB External SSD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I remember Gigabyte made an attempt on making use of RAM as storage

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2180#ov

its really old since it make use of the PCI bus for data transfer and power

it has a small battery to hold the charge when the system is off and the battery will be charged when the system is power on

but at that time DDR1 RAM was really expensive and only supports up to 1GB per slot so you get only 4GB of space

for the first post, maybe not possible with current battery technology

until we have a way to pack a battery that is small and light to fit into the thumb drive size casing which can last at least for a month without the need the recharge

the closest we can get is a SSD based external drive

like the AData DashDrive Elite SE720 128GB External SSD

A month? Is this being aimed at forgetful homeless people?

Also, I like that you say the form factor has to be of a USB stick, then mention a 2.5" external drive.

A month? Is this being aimed at forgetful homeless people?

Also, I like that you say the form factor has to be of a USB stick, then mention a 2.5" external drive.

maybe a bit overrated how about 2 weeks?

so far the SanDisk Fit is the smallest thumb drive I have seen so far maybe there are others I don't know, but imagine packing a battery with the RAMdisk into that casing that will be interesting to see

1362731662918.jpg

otherwise if you really want speedy drives you will really have to go SSD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

You would still need the ddr to interface the pc somehow. There are ssd based flash drives though.

maybe a bit overrated how about 2 weeks?

so far the SanDisk Fit is the smallest thumb drive I have seen so far maybe there are others I don't know, but imagine packing a battery with the RAMdisk into that casing that will be interesting to see

1362731662918.jpg

otherwise if you really want speedy drives you will really have to go SSD

Show me an SSD based thumb drive that isn't a 2.5" SSD in an enclosure.

The highest end sandisk flash drive is just that, a single NAND chip with sandisk SSD controller.

I am aware there is none yet 

if you want the smallest SSD it will be the M.2 SSD

I am aware there is none yet 

if you want the smallest SSD it will be the M.2 SSD

there is also a LaCie one that was rather large that cam out in the earlier days of USB 3.0 but it was rather large but not much could keep up with it at the time.

The highest end sandisk flash drive is just that, a single NAND chip with sandisk SSD controller.

were you referring to this?

http://www.sandisk.sg/products/embedded/inand/inand-extreme/