Bottleneck

Go to solution Solved by Sharp_3yE,

Just like everyone is saying. There isn't much of a bottle neck but the cpu might be the bigger bottle neck in the system that if changed could raise your FPS a bit. Though, you are talking about high demanding games. So, I think your problem is you have your settings to high. Turn a couple things down to raise your FPS. You shouldn't run at Ultra settings. Do a 2x msaa or so and turn down a couple other things. You can change each graphics setting one at a time to see which ones are hurting your fps the most.

Hi All,

I'm curious, I am unable to run some games at the FPS I would like and was wondering what the bottleneck(s) in my system might be. My current setup is as follows

Motherboard: ASUS M5A88-V EVO 

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (@ 3.7 GHz currently)

Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600 MHz

GPU: ASUS HD 7950

SSD: OCZ 60 GB

HDD: 2TB Hitachi

PSU: Antec 650W

Water cooled with Corsair H60

Please let me know if there is any missing info. Thanks

Quite possible some of the games aren't well optimised 

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Thanks for the quick replies. Some examples were Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3, but could be the whole system isn't fast enough to max out.

Phenom II is the bottleneck, no issue if it don't bother you though.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

If I were to upgrade my CPU, how big of an upgrade would an FX-8320 be?

I wouldn't say much of a bottleneck here. Maybe a little with the CPU but that is it. Far Cry 3 is a demanding game anyway if I recall correctly. What's your target?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Ya thanks for the help guys. It seems that any higher AA starts to kill the FPS, so I guess I just gotta turn it down.

AA doesn't do a lot to the looks. And no, there isn't really any bottlenecks.  Just generally bump down your settings a tad maybe.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Just like everyone is saying. There isn't much of a bottle neck but the cpu might be the bigger bottle neck in the system that if changed could raise your FPS a bit. Though, you are talking about high demanding games. So, I think your problem is you have your settings to high. Turn a couple things down to raise your FPS. You shouldn't run at Ultra settings. Do a 2x msaa or so and turn down a couple other things. You can change each graphics setting one at a time to see which ones are hurting your fps the most.