anyone good with programming i have an idea for a project

ok I have seen some fan made mortal kombat games that are pretty neat and i want to take a whack at it i was thinking about editing the roms or would i have better luck with unreal engine? ill be running on pc so emulators are fine for me as well. anyway does any one remember mortal kombat mythologies subzero?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Mythologies:_Sub-Zero

i was wanting to rewrite parts of it to put scorpion as the playable character instead of subzero i was thinking i could add his moves reuse sub zero's sprite color him yellow and call it a day. the reason why it works in my mind is there stories line up perfectly and it would just be an alternate ending version were instead of subzero killing scorpion, scorpion kills subzero. I think it'd be cool as hell when i was a kid and subzero came out i was just waiting for scorpion to come out and they never made it witch was a big disappointment i hope I'm in the right forum anyway thanks guys!

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.