Girlfriend is complaining her PC is too loud

TheMonsterMan8

I'm just gonna say this. Whenever I hear people gush on about how quiet Noctuas are, I sometimes second guess if they even used one in person. Of course, hearing is subjective, BUT Noctua fans can and will be loud once above a certain RPM. There is no such thing as a pure silent fan unless it's running at low RPM. Yes, it will be quieter at max rpm compared to a Delta fan, but that's silly. Any decent fan will be quiet when you run them at low rpm, but the amount of air it pushes at low rpm is what determines if it's a good value or not if you're going for a silent rig. (I have 3 Noctua fans I'm currently not using and those are obnoxious above 7v)

As for the GPUs...It boggles the mind that AIO units are aimed at CPUs when a 50 dollar heatsink and nice pwm fans is all you realistically need for the majority of people. Unless you're doing something extreme and need liquid cooling with a crazy overclock, but even then you'd be running a proper custom loop. AIO units for CPU are kinda pointless when it's the GPU that puts out the crazy amount of heat and noise. AIO units should be aimed at cooling your graphics card, it'd make a hell of a lot more sense since a good tower heatsink with nice fans still gets the job done fine.

just get a 25ft usb extender and hdmi cable and move the computer in another room/ closet, just beeing further from the thing will greatly reduce the noise, and it s cheap too.

cost way less than swapping all the fans, heck just one. and don t talk about swapping the gpu cooler, it s not even comparable for the price off 20$ of cable

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Record the noise and put it on YouTube so we can hear it. I really want to hear this before I offer any help.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Look at the decibel levels of each part on the manufacturers website and see what fan is the loudest. 

or

Try a test on all the system fans. Either use your ear or download an app on your phone or pc. Test each individual fan to see how loud it is. The loudest fan in the case is the one making the nose. 

Your cpu heat sink seems fine.

If its your case fans just replace them with fans that have lower decibels.

If it's the gpu think about replacing the heatsink with an after market cooler either air or water. This may void your warranty. 

The air noise is because a lot of air is moving around an obstruction. In this case, I suspect the door on the R4 is the culprit. Solution: keep the front door open.

ACX isn't all its made up to be. When i was at a LAN party two of my friends put there GTX 770s in my machine and ran a few games. The EVGA 770 w/ACX ran into the 80s while the Palit card ran at about 65.

Triple fan ftw then.

The Palit Jetstream is just an amazing cooler. Don't expect a flabby Gigabyte cooler to sound the same!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This case might solve her problem: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/silencio-650/

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |