Windows media player corrupted my cd while ripping

Go to solution Solved by SkullAbyss,

I don't use Windows Media Player period. That is part of the reason why I don't use it. It might be your Optical drive taking too hard of a shit. Did you try playing those CD's on a different computer to see if they will play? Try using FooBar2000 to rip your CD's to see if that will make a difference. I use Foobar for ripping all the time, it always gets the job done reliably 

Hello,

Just as the title mentions, I use Windows Media Player to rip my cd's (just kill me right now ><).

However after a while i experienced WMP took longer and longer to rip a single cd and without knowing it actually corrupted some of my cd's during the proces... which leaves me here with a pile of dead music cd's(and a lot of lost money).

So know I would like to know if there are some handy dandy tools that could save my precious cd's or if they are some worthless junk right now.

Also I would like to know if someone else experienced anything like this with WMP. oh btw I'm using windows 8 pro for anyone wondering.

thanks in advance!

Desertowl

You ripped your CD... of course it's broken.

what kind of CDs are you ripping?

single write or rewriteable?

was it blank before you started ripping?

did you pre-format it?

also why are complaining about lost money when you can just download all your songs for free from the internet

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ripping CD's can't damage the disc.  

If it possible your drive is dying?

Ripping Audio and Video disks eventually burn out the drive

Burning CD/DVD's eventually causes burners to die.

Generally you'll know your drive is dying when you get a lot of read/write errors and Windows drops it into PIO MODE.

also why are complaining about lost money when you can just download all your songs for free from the internet

i still like to support my favorite metal bands :)

i still like to support my favorite metal bands :)

if you lost a music file because of a corrupted disk and you bought it in the first place, whats the harm of downloading it again for free?

you already paid for it right?

if youre so keen on supporting them you can probably donate in some way...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ripping Audio and Video disks eventually burn out the drive

Burning CD/DVD's eventually causes burners to die.

Generally you'll know your drive is dying when you get a lot of read/write errors and Windows drops it into PIO MODE.

the cd's that got corrupted, have never been ripped before, and the drive is only 2-3 months old so i have no clue wether it's actually a faulty drive or not

I don't use Windows Media Player period. That is part of the reason why I don't use it. It might be your Optical drive taking too hard of a shit. Did you try playing those CD's on a different computer to see if they will play? Try using FooBar2000 to rip your CD's to see if that will make a difference. I use Foobar for ripping all the time, it always gets the job done reliably 

SkullAbyss

the cd's that got corrupted, have never been ripped before, and the drive is only 2-3 months old so i have no clue wether it's actually a faulty drive or not

You can't corrupt data on Audio-CD's ripping them or throwing them in a burner and attempting to write to them

The drive is probably faulty.

if you lost a music file because of a corrupted disk and you bought it in the first place, whats the harm of downloading it again for free?

you already paid for it right?

if youre so keen on supporting them you can probably donate in some way...

well i still use cd's in my car(11 years old) and as a student i'm on quite a tight budget(so no car upgrades in the near future)

well i just installed foobar2000 and it actually recognises all the data and plays back the cd perfectly while WMP isn't detecting anything...

well i just installed foobar2000 and it actually recognises all the data and plays back the cd perfectly while WMP isn't detecting anything...

That is good news. Use Foobar from here on. WMP is very useless and full of bugs. Foobar for Music, and VLC Media player for Videos/Movies

SkullAbyss

That is good news. Use Foobar from here on. WMP is very useless and full of bugs. Foobar for Music, and VLC Media player for Videos/Movies

thanks again for the fast response and help m8

cheers!

thanks again for the fast response and help m8

cheers!

Not a problem! Glad I could help. I don't get on LTT often, I'm mostly on TekSyndicate xD

SkullAbyss