Would This Work?

TheNinjaNextDor

Hi! I can't boot into Windows, and when I try it says I need to reinstall or something. What would happen if I just tried to boot into Windows and it said this so I put the install disk in? Would it erase everything on the drive? Would installing Clover instead of Chimera be a better option?

Thanks.

If you reinstall windows and there is an old windows installation already on your drive, the new windows will put all the old files in a folder called windows.old.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Hi! I can't boot into Windows, and when I try it says I need to reinstall or something. What would happen if I just tried to boot into Windows and it said this so I put the install disk in? Would it erase everything on the drive? Would installing Clover instead of Chimera be a better option?

Thanks.

You won't erase your old Windows install until you actually initiate the new install.  

If it only did recovery then no, it wouldn't erase anything but if it really needs to reinstall then it would erase that whole partition. Somehow I doubt that it said to reinstall windows, it usually sends you to recovery. 

If you reinstall windows and there is an old windows installation already on your drive, the new windows will put all the old files in a folder called windows.old.

So I will still have games and pictures in the same place?

If it only did recovery then no, it wouldn't erase anything but if it really needs to reinstall then it would erase that whole partition. Somehow I doubt that it said to reinstall windows, it usually sends you to recovery.

post-43539-13980225016049_thumb.jpg

If I put it in here what would happen?

So I will still have games and pictures in the same place?

In the same place? No. Games you'll have to reinstall.

Everything will be in a folder on your main drive somewhere like C:/Windows.old

If you find it a bit risky, you can put Ubuntu on a USB drive, boot onto it, and put all your important files on a back-up.

Edit : Judging by your picture, a re-installation is unnecessary. Just put your Windows disk in and do start up recovery.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

nvm.. .i've triple boot. and it's a bit hard :/, but you can put the DVD/USB stick, and when the window appers DON'T CLICK INSTALL NOW, look down at the left for "Repair your computer"

As he said, repair only.

nvm.. .i've triple boot. and it's a bit hard :/, but you can put the DVD/USB stick, and when the window appers DON'T CLICK INSTALL NOW, look down at the left for "Repair your computer"

As he said, repair only.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll do it and tell you what happens :)

As he said, repair only.

This still happens :(

post-43539-13980241124407_thumb.jpg

For safe mode just spam F8 when you it starts turning on. Are you sure that the disc you are using is good and of that version of windows?

For safe mode just spam F8 when you it starts turning on. Are you sure that the disc you are using is good and of that version of windows?

When you click on repair your computer that doesn't appear O.o? What windows are you using?

OOOHHHH it got here:

Now what:

post-43539-13980248049928_thumb.jpg

(I meant installation disk but...)

...I had a similar problem when I unpluged a RAID card.

• was there a recent hardware change (peripherials included)?

Not really. I did install OS X on another drive which is what caused this.