Copy / Fake Laptop?

MrRX7

I just bought a hp laptop second hand. The guy was Chinese and told me he bought it here from China. It seems fine just has a weird bios logo and the stickers below...

Is it genuine or a fake/copy?

post-40205-0-03518900-1398008054_thumb.j

post-40205-0-94824900-1398008219_thumb.j

Looks likes a knock off/fake to me, but as long as the specs are correct and you didn't overpay i wouldn't worry about it.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Why would you buy from a shady dude/buy it before you turned it on? I'd see if you could get your money back.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I like to play it safe and buy my stuff from reputable dealers. It saves getting ripped off/scammed. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Check the specs use Linux if you don't have a windows install for it.

I like to play it safe and buy my stuff from reputable dealers. It saves getting ripped off/scammed. :D

same

i could get stuff for my PC for half the price but I always choose to buy brand new from NCIX or Memory Express

if something goes wrong i can always bring it back and get a refund/replacement

i also know its genuine and not a scam :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Lots of you seem to be naive when it comes to buying smartly on eBay...It's not difficult to find a good deal.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Lots of you seem to be naive when it comes to buying smartly on eBay...It's not difficult to find a good deal.

Do you mean its legit and fine, its just got stickers as it came from another country? Is their a quick and easy way to check if its legit?

Do you mean its legit and fine, its just got stickers as it came from another country? Is their a quick and easy way to check if its legit?

Its not. You should go back to whoever you bought it from and ask for your money back. If he/she refuses notify them that they are in breach of the Consumer Protection Act (by misselling an item) and threaten to call of office of fair trading. They have the power to charge him and remove any goods that are fake. 

If it was bought on ebay open a case against the seller.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Its not. You should go back to whoever you bought it from and ask for your money back. If he/she refuses notify them that they are in breach of the Consumer Protection Act (by misselling an item) and threaten to call of office of fair trading. They have the power to charge him and remove any goods that are fake. 

If it was bought on ebay open a case against the seller.

the specs are the same... what makes you and others think its fake?

the specs are the same... what makes you and others think its fake?

There's no reason for there to be any logo other than the stock HP one. I'd say I'm 90% sure it's fake.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I remember having the blue sticker on my Toshiba U300 also. But I think they might have used a different motherboard/BIOS as the bios screen is different. If you try searching the chinese characters on the splash screen up you might be able to find something out. I think its a copy imo because of its bios splash screen.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah seems pretty damn fake. Even in China, genuine HP computers would have the HP logo on startup (I bought a Pavilion desktop from China and it had chinese BIOS but still HP logo). But again, if you got a good deal on it for the specs I wouldn't mind. It's not like you buy a second-hand laptop to get a warranty repair on it anyways.

"Rawr XD"