2.1 Speaker Suggestions for a Non-Audiophile

DanTheMuffinMan

Hello gents,

Linus's recent speaker review round-up got me interested in upgrading my desk speakers. I've had these $200 Altec Lansing VS4121 speakers for about a decade now and while they've been reliable and what-not, I definitely feel like I"m missing out on a better audio experience.

So what would you recommend in the $500-$600 range for computer 2.1 speakers? I'm in Canada so Canadian Amazon and NCIX would be my preferred sources.

Music and Gaming would be the top uses, followed by YouTube and movies. I don't really care about it being loud enough to break glass, nice aesthetics are always nice, but not mandatory. Please no suggesting separate speakers and a separate sub-woofer and then having me wire or tune anything. I'm an audio noob.

I would be using the on-board audio provided by my Asus Sabertooth Z87.

Thanks for looking and let me know if you need any more info.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

I recommend either the logitech z623 or the corsair sp2500. For 2.1 systems they are both monsters.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I recommend either the logitech z623 or the corsair sp2500. For 2.1 systems they are both monsters.

and how is that an upgrade to what he has ? the sound of logitech z623 quality is worse than what he has(more bass thats it) and the sp2500 are ok but not much better .

for those money i would look into audioengine A5+ and an active sub. these are active speakers,and the sub only requires 1 wire connection in plus so noob or not its very very easy .1 wire in +

or an amp,2 bookshelf speakers and a sub

Edited by s3ns3

and how is that an upgrade to what he has ? the sound of logitech z623 quality is worse than what he has(more bass thats it) and the sp2500 are ok but not much better .

for those money i would look into audioengine A5+ and an active sub.

or an amp,2 bookshelf speakers and a sub

I didnt he wanted to get a 2.0 system and then add a sub. If thats an option then you are correct, those other speakers can move aside.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I didnt he wanted to get a 2.0 system and then add a sub. If thats an option then you are correct, those other speakers can move aside.

the speakers he has are not top of the line but they are good,if he would go for a logitech system he will gain in bass,but lose in sound quality(mids and highs) .but yeah he ask for a 2.1 system yeah you are wright but i guess i just tried to say that going from 2.1 to another 2.1 is not that much of an upgrade.

the speakers he has are not top of the line but they are good,if he would go for a logitech system he will gain in bass,but lose in sound quality(mids and highs) .but yeah he ask for a 2.1 system yeah you are wright but i guess i just tried to say that going from 2.1 to another 2.1 is not that much of an upgrade.

And that's why I've come to ask the audiophiles :)

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

for those money i would look into audioengine A5+ and an active sub. these are active speakers,and the sub only requires 1 wire connection in plus so noob or not its very very easy .1 wire in +

Again, noob, so pardon the stupid question. Would the same company sell a good subwoofer to go with the A5+. And looking at those A5+'s, they seem to have a volume dial on the front, would that same dial also control the subwoofer?

Edit: The only subwoofer I could find from Audioengine (it says powered sub, same as active sub?) is the S8B, however $400 for the A5+ and $350 for the sub is pretty damn pricey...

Edit 2: Stumbled upon these Edifier S730, thoughts?

Again, noob, so pardon the stupid question. Would the same company sell a good subwoofer to go with the A5+. And looking at those A5+'s, they seem to have a volume dial on the front, would that same dial also control the subwoofer?

Edit: The only subwoofer I could find from Audioengine (it says powered sub, same as active sub?) is the S8B, however $400 for the A5+ and $350 for the sub is pretty damn pricey...

Edit 2: Stumbled upon these Edifier S730, thoughts?

Good subs are very pricy. The best $100-$200 sub is probably something from Polk but those aren't very good for music. I say just get the A5+ and see if they're bassy enough for you because those don't really need a sub imo. 

Good subs are very pricy. The best $100-$200 sub is probably something from Polk but those aren't very good for music. I say just get the A5+ and see if they're bassy enough for you because those don't really need a sub imo. 

Really? I'm learning a lot today.