Comparing original footage with the Youtube output

I was wondering how bad the youtube compression really is. When I watch videos from Linus and Slick the colors always seem to be off, but not with all videos and some scenes are different, but my main request would be to see a thread of screenshots that the @LinusTech team could make of their videos in their headquarters and then taking a screenshot of the same scene on youtube and comparing the two. I think most of the youtube videos out there look terrible when it comes to color and I would rather watch uncompressed 720p videos than really bad 1080p videos

Uncompressed video, even at 720p takes up massive amounts of space,

720p HDTV uncompressed:

8 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 105 MB per/sec, or 370 GB per/hr.
10 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 140 MB per/sec, or 494 GB per/hr.

If we were looking at 30fps video then it might be half that, but it's still 50MB every second, and Nobody (Certainly in the UK) has a 50MB (400Mbps) connection :P

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncompressed_video

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Their compression is completely fine. As stated above it uses standard h.264 presets. Considering how much video they process and to how many people. What else could they use? It's the best thing on offer.

There is no such thing as uncompressed video on YouTube. It compresses almost everything into H.264/AVC in the mp4 container.

Yes it messes with the colour, yes it messes with the bitrate, please view this official information.

Uncompressed video, even at 720p takes up massive amounts of space,

720p HDTV uncompressed:

8 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 105 MB per/sec, or 370 GB per/hr.

10 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 140 MB per/sec, or 494 GB per/hr.

If we were looking at 30fps video then it might be half that, but it's still 50MB every second, and Nobody (Certainly in the UK) has a 50MB (400Mbps) connection :P

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncompressed_video

Their compression is completely fine. As stated above it uses standard h.264 presets. Considering how much video they process and to how many people. What else could they use? It's the best thing on offer.

ok, I didn't mean totally uncompressed, but I would like to see better colors in a 720p video than bad and washed out colors in 1080p

ok, I didn't mean totally uncompressed, but I would like to see better colors in a 720p video than bad and washed out colors in 1080p

Meh, I don't particularly like youtube compression either but for the most part it doesn't bother me - Besides, they probably save millions in Server bandwidth because of the sheer amout of videos that are streamed each day

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

It is possible to manipulate colours in your editing software to compensate for the behaviour of youtube's encoding.

Think about how massive the storage space for millions of people's videos would be. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

To be fair, YT is pretty fookin epic.... Download your uPloaded video, 1.2gb turns into 100mb.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Why would you want to download your uploaded video if you have the original? I would never ever delete my source video for the compressed version from YouTube.  

There are different quality presets for h.264, I think YouTube uses a highly-compressed, small file size preset. But I agree, some YT videos look pretty shitty.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti